Lili Marleen (Vor der Kaserne, vor dem großen Tor...)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
pdhinkle36ID

Lili Marleen (Vor der Kaserne, vor dem großen Tor...)

Post by pdhinkle36ID » 24 Aug 2003, 19:14

[Several threads dealing with the same song have been merged and renamed by the host, Ivan Ž.]

Old thread: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=8722

Napoleon XIV

Post by Napoleon XIV » 24 Aug 2003, 22:02

Lale Andersen sings it better than Marlene Dietrich IMO.

I have quite a few Lale Andersen songs. Her stuff was really quite good :)

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 25 Aug 2003, 11:24

Here is link to the Anderson version, I've not heard the Marlene Dietrich recording but the Anderson version does kick some IMHO! :)

http://www.mesopust.com/

Go to the bottom of the site and there is a link called: "Lili Marlene mp3"

Just left click to download and judge for yourself!

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 11 Apr 2004, 05:08

From the New York Times, 14 Feb 1947:
Attachments
NYT 19470214.jpg
NYT 19470214.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 2493 times

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 11 Apr 2004, 05:16

Just goes to show the utter ridiculousness of some of the accusations of "collaboration".

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 14 Apr 2004, 03:39

What, exactly, do you think Parès is supposed to have "delivered" to the Germans? Or the Germans to have "seized" from the French? A song that the Germans had "owned" since Schultze set it to its war-time melody in 1938, or really, since Hans Leip composed the poem in 1915? I wonder whether anyone could have been said to "own" the song, given its wild popularity among both Axis and Allies (and rewriting for Allied audiences) during World War II.

This one is really funny, and shows how obfuscating the wording of some "sources" can be.

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 14 Apr 2004, 05:54

Talking about "Lili Marleen", I recall one of those classic British comedies made back in the 1950s, which had this song as its theme.

In the film, the late Sid James was leading a troupe of entertainers touring the Western Desert and putting on shows for British units.

One day they fall into the hands of a group of Germans disguised as British. They put on a show for their hosts, full of satire about Hitler, and cannot understand why their audience is not laughing.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the entertainers hear the German sodliers singing "Lili Marleen", and realise they have a potential goldmine on their hands. They dream up a plan to make their way back to British lines, record the song under their own name, and make a fortune out of it.

Eventually they make their way back across the desert and arrive at Alexandria, just as a troopship is arriving in the harbour - with all the men on the ship singing "Lili Marleen"!

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 17 Apr 2004, 03:11

Michael, GREAT story! Sounds like a classic spoof of the song's popularity. I'd love to see that---I wonder if it's been released on modern tape?

Landser

Post by Landser » 10 Mar 2005, 21:41

In the 70s I watched a CBS docu about a large British Vets gatherig, where thousends with their spouses attended.On the stage was a rather large dance band with a young good looking female singer. The opening of the event was a rendition of 'Lili Marleen",EVERYBODY stood up and some in attention,when the singer performed, the whole place sung along.It was quite moving with some close ups showing guys with tears in their eyes.Naturaly after this followed the anthem, but the enthusiasm of the singing was somewhat less. And it ended again like it started with everyone standing up and singing along.

Seems to be the British song of the War? :D

David Brown

Post by David Brown » 11 Mar 2005, 16:57

As far as my knowledge on Lilli Marlene goes, I know it started life as a poem called Lili Marleen and then was put to music sometime during the 1930's by a German (Can't think of his name at the moment, I'll post it as soon as I can find it) and it was originaly sang by Lale Andersen. It was broadcasted to German troops in the Afrika Korp and was picked up by the British, translated retitled Lilli Marlene and recorded by Ann Sheldon. The French also had their own version which they again retitled Lily Marlene. Then it appeared in the USA as a film in 1944, once more retitled Lili Marlene and it was immortalised by Marlene Dietrich, but I personally think it was sung better by both Lale Andersen and Ann Sheldon.

So it is a song that appeals to all but it is German originally, and certainly not exclusive to we Brits.

:D
Dave

Erich-SA

Post by Erich-SA » 13 Mar 2005, 07:20

Norbert Schultze wrote the melody of Lili Marleen--he also wrote the melody 'Bomben auf Engelland' and other III Reich songs.
Erich

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 14 Mar 2005, 00:13

Schultze wrote the melody in 1938, but the words were actually a bit older, from a poem composed by Hans Leip during the First War (1915). And Landser and David are right, the song was as popular with the Allies as with the Germans during WWII.

Landser, do you remember the song being sung or played on the radio?

~FV

Landser

Post by Landser » 14 Mar 2005, 01:57

Fraulein V.
You seem to know more about this song then most Germans do.During the war you felt lucky if you had a working radio or a home made "Detector"radio.My mother was able to get a Volksempfaenger in the early war years which in itself was a priced posession.She went sofar and would us childrem sparingly only play it during day hours.We lived in the eastern part of the Reich and received during day hours only 2 stations clearly.Just about everything was AM only,at that time. I remember someone telling once of having a set from before the war with SW (Kurzwelle) and HF (Langwelle)also on it.But it did not matter the programs were all moreless coordinated all over the contry from Reichssender Berlin and broadcasted over powerful regional antennas with 100 kilowatts etc. But at nighttime the reception was better and reached sonetimes to Afrika (Casablanca),but only sometimes.

Now weekend evening broadcasts were held mostly with popular entertainments (Wunschkonzerte) etc. Saturday evenings at 8 pm the Sodatensender Belgrad program was broadcast everywhere and we all gathered around this little radio.I recall in the wintertime some of our neighbors visited to listen to it also. It was besides the sunday evening "Wunschkonzert" from Berlin the most listened program,I think.Lilli Marleen I recall was ok, but the majority of requests were for other songs by different artists.Like Wilhelm Strienz for instance, I think he was the favorate then.But I knew only Lale A. singing it in the broadcasts,till after the war when other renditions appeared.

BTW Lale A.was very popular and succesful in her career till she died.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 14 Mar 2005, 04:11

Landser,

My knowledge of the song is really nothing more than a bit of trivia I've picked up about a classic piece of the period. But your recounting of the details of hearing it---and much else besides---on a Volksempfänger is fascinating! Danke sehr for posting it!

I hope everyone else will forgive me for "hijacking" the thread for a moment, but this is too good an opportunity not to ask a few more questions! You spoke of your mother restricting use of the radio: Why? Was it because of the monitoring of what you were listening to? My understanding is that there were a lot of checks to ensure that listeners were tuned only to the "correct" stations, and high penalties if they weren't. Do you remember any of these kinds of restrictions?

Your mentioning the Sunday evening "Request Konzerts" is also interesting---I had never heard that before. I must look up W. Schlienz, to see why he was so popular!

I agree with David that Lale Andersen's version is still the best one---if only by knowing that hers was the wartime rendition, not by having heard it as the version, as you did!

~FV

Landser

Post by Landser » 14 Mar 2005, 06:21

Vikki wrote:You spoke of your mother restricting use of the radio: Why? Was it because of the monitoring of what you were listening to? My understanding is that there were a lot of checks to ensure that listeners were tuned only to the "correct" stations, and high penalties if they weren't. Do you remember any of these kinds of restrictions?
Sorry for have you speculating. As I mentioned owing a radio who worked, was especially toward the end,a precious commodity,when everything is in short supply. My moms concern was mainly of not wearing out the tubes ,which were hard to come by when needed.I don't think anyone I know of, was concerned of listing to outside propaganda, since the limiting availability of said stations.In case of subversive activity on your part, I assume you were shadowed or checked for clues. Plus the country was well conditioned not to let too much subversion build up,everywhere you could find posters to warn you;like "Feind hoert mit". One more thing on the popularity of programs.Now adays it's the Nielsen rating taken as a messure stick.I think then the "Sondermeldungen" or "Fuehrer Reden" would have gotten by far the highest listening quotas.First of if regular programming was suddenly interrupted with continuous lively and heroic sounding marchmusic,usually from 5 to 20 minutes ,some unordinary news of accomplishments on the fronts were to come.The first few years people dropped everything and gatherd at radios.I yes the long built-up was to arrouse max anxiety.

Return to “Music of the Reich”