Jugend will marschieren

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Jugend will marschieren

Post by Ivan Ž. » 06 Mar 2015, 15:57

[Split from "CD, LP & MC reviews"]
Tomahawk Films wrote:02. Jugend will marschieren! (HJ)
I would like to draw everyone's attention to popular misconceptions of this kind.

"Jugend will marschieren": Jugend = Youth; marschieren = marching. Most people instantly think that it has to be a Hitler Youth marching song and visualize a bunch of HJ boys singing it with swastikas on their arms - the same boys that would soon become soldiers and march off to war singing such tunes under helmets, carrying rifles. Well please don't think nor fantasize - but research, read, learn and always listen to the lyrics. The author of the song is Kurt Heise - a music teacher in the 216th girls' school in Berlin-Moabit and author of local-patriotic and hiking songs (Märkische Heimat- und Wanderlieder). He recorded the song himself with his school girls' choir (see the Telefunken scan) and another recording (the best known one) was made by an unknown children's choir (see the Electrola scan) under Johannes Müller. It is quite possible that the 2nd recording was also sung by young girls, since the boys' choirs were usually credited at the time as "Knabenchöre" (boys' choirs), while the term "Kinderchor" (children's choir) was used mostly for girls, or children in general (rarely for boys-only choirs). Voices are similar in both recordings. And youth is youth, it existed before and after Hitler, and marching is just a way of walking, it is not strictly military-related.

So what is "Jugend will marschieren"? A local-patriotic children's hiking song about the restless spirit of the youth, created by a girls' school teacher and sung originally by young girls. It's not a girls' song but it's also neither politics- or military-related.

Cheers,
Ivan

Telefunken-A-1548.jpg
Telefunken-A-1548.jpg (83.04 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
Electrola-EG-3015-60-2592.jpg
Electrola-EG-3015-60-2592.jpg (152.16 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Teppeny

Re: Jugend will marschieren

Post by Teppeny » 26 May 2019, 12:36

Hello Ivan, do you have the lyrics of the song ? Or anybody have them ? That would be fantastic !

Many thanks,
Teppeny

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 29 May 2019, 04:47

Is this what you are after?

Jugend will marschieren
Weiter weit ins Land hinaus
Jugend will marschieren
Ja wer bliebe da zu Haus

Heimatland Märkerland
Dirzu will ich leben
Heimatland Märkerland
Dirzu schlägt mein Herz

Jugend will marschieren
Immer gleichen Schritt und Tritt
Jugend will marschieren
Ja wer wollte da nicht mit

Heimatland...

Jugend will marschieren
Jungsein, das heißt wandern geh'n
Jugend will marschieren
Jungsein heißt nicht stillesteh'n

Heimatland...

Source: http://ingeb.org/Lieder/jugendwi.html

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 Jul 2019, 18:52

Hello, Greg

As much as I endorse the project itself - lyrics of songs from all over the world - I must say that the ingeb.org website turned out to be rather unreliable, at least when it comes to the Third Reich songs (most of the lyrics were transcribed by listening, without much care for grammar). Therefore, I suggest avoiding using it as a source here.

However, I think most of it is correct this time (it should be re-checked). But it's not "weiter weit", it's "weit, ja weit".

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Music of the Reich”