4./Fallschirmjäger-Rgt. 1 between 24.12.44 - 29.04.45

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
James30

4./Fallschirmjäger-Rgt. 1 between 24.12.44 - 29.04.45

Post by James30 » 08 May 2015, 19:38

I'm looking for information on 4./Fallschirmjäger-Rgt. 1 between the dates 24th December 1944 and 29th April 1945.
It turns out that between those dates my grandad had served with them in Italy, and I'd like to know what they were up to during that time period, and in particular if my grandad may have seen action with them in known battles/skirmishes etc.

A little note he placed in his diary says "Castell's Pietro" which I'm assuming he is referring to a place, and the second says "Lt. Gertz" which he may be referring to his commander/officer in charge.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Doktor Krollspell

Re: 4./Fallschirmjäger-Rgt. 1 between 24.12.44 - 29.04.45

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 23 May 2015, 16:40

Hello James,

During December 1944/January 1945, the 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division held higher ground positions at Monte Grande and Monte Cerere in the Castel S. Pietro area between Bologna and Imola. These positions were fought over and changed hands several times during the winter. After the battles around Castel S. Pietro, both the 1. & 4. Fallschirmjäger-Division had to hand over one battalion per regiment for the creation of the new 10. Fallschirmjäger-Division. In the case of Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 1 it had to hand over its III. Bataillon (not your granddads since he served in 4. Kompanie (I. Bataillon).

In mid-February 1945 the 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division took up new defensive position in the area between Bologna and N-NE of Imola, just south of the river Po. On April 10-11 the Allies launched a major offensive towards the German lines along the Po. The 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division held it’s positions for several days but were eventually split up and forced to retreat via Ferrara, Cento and Mirandola to try to cross the river Po. Many of the Division’s Jägers were captured by US armored forces before they were able to cross the river. The sub-units of the Division that managed to cross over headed north through partisan areas and in late April 1945 ended up in the Roverto area east of Lake Gardia. After some last fighting with the US 88th Infantry Divison, the 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division surrendered in South Tyrol on May 2 to the Americans.

The main source to this short report has been “Die Fallschirmjäger-Chronik 1935-1945” by Erich Busch (1983). Unfortunately there was no more direct references to the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 1, nor to it’s 4. Kompanie. There was no mention of any Leutnant Gertz either…

Regards,

Krollspell

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”