6. Fallschirmjäger-Division Flag or Regimental Flag FJR 5

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Mike1alpha

6. Fallschirmjäger-Division Flag or Regimental Flag FJR 5

Post by Mike1alpha » 30 Aug 2015, 23:18

Can anyone help me?

I'm not sure how to start this but last Thursday morning on the 27/08/2015 my wife and I lost a very dear friend who name was Hanz Carl Otto Franke, he was 90 years of age, he was born 11/12/1924 and was brought up in Plon, he later served as an apprentice with Hinkle as an air frame draftsman before being called up in 1942 for armed service in the Luftwaffe, because in his intake he was one of three to hold a glider pilots licence he was drafted to the Fallschirmjäger but didn't want to be a pilot because he said it was to dangerous so he was trained as a Fallschirmjäger in the Anti Tank company, he told me when he was alive that he was being trained in Koln as they were forming the 6th Division from elements of the 5th returning from Russia where they had suffered heavy losses, Hans saw action in France especially Carentan, his platoon were to protect the small docks they had in the town, Hanz was an MG 42 gunner nick named the Hitler saw he told me even though the gun was made cheaply it had such a high rate of fire and everyone including the allies new the sound of the MG 42, Hanz witnessed heavy fighting in Carentan before his capture but only because he ran out of ammunition, the man was awarded the 1st and 2nd class Iron crosses for his bravery, his rank was Obergefreiter, his funeral will be next Monday week, he will be sorely missed, I would like to drape the Fallschirmjäger flag over his coffin so that the man will go with some dignity and join all his other brave comrades he fought with who went before him who fought under the same banner but I have no idea what the Fallschirmjäger-Division or Regimental flag was, can anyone help please

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”