Demonstration para Unit (Lehrtruppe) XI. Flieger-Korps ?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Andreas

Re: SV Daumiller

Post by Andreas » 15 Mar 2008, 14:16

13emeDBLE wrote:The Daumiller Gruppe is in January 42 (sorry I am working very deeply and slowly, so I just began the 1942 year), is a small part of Sonderverband 288.

the exact name was "sperrverband Daumiller" (sonderverband 288) deployed the 6th of january (it might arrive before, I have no infos on its date of arrival) at the Bir es Suera sector, "temporarily under the command of XXI. italian Corps (Trento, Pavia and Sabratha). This formation's full strength was 2,400 but so far only 360 men had reached Africa by air and without their vehicles".

No others infos yet, I will keep you in touch when I found others things...

CM
Hi Cédric

That is not quite correct. Daumiller's Sperrverband arrived in the old positions in the Mersa el Brega line on 26 December. They already suffered combat losses in the bomb attack on the water hole in Agedabia 29 December (1 KIA/3 WIA). The PAA order for the defense of the Mersa el Brega line then put them under XXI. AK on 4 Jan 42.

On 6 January 360 men of SV 288 and 700 men of the FJ-Lehrtruppe had arrived, all by air, all without vehicles.

Here is an interesting snippet - on 11 Jan SV Daumiller was reported to contain two platoons Gebirgsjäger. These would have been the only Gebirgsjäger in Afrika, right?

KG Burckhardt was ordered to occupy Marada at that point, which until then had been held by a reinforced company of Afrika Rgt 361 and Italian Sahara companies.

All the best

Andreas

Nacht

Re: Demonstration para Unit (Lehrtruppe) XI. Fliegerkorps ?

Post by Nacht » 31 May 2008, 18:37

Just to interject and not get the thread reader the wrong perception my reworked book of v.d. Heydte only tells of his operations from start of war to end of the capture of Crete...
Image I also have his 'unpublished' diaries and the start of his unpublished diary of operations from Crete to point of capture during the Battle of the Bulge!!!

To compliment what my friend Peter H is extolling so succinctly the references in published form...

These two books are an absolute 'must have' for any understanding of the Fallschirmjäger... as they put together the establishment and the base cadre that became the future elements of the various parachute service units... (except some VERY specialized or trained Brandenburger personnel)
Image Image

This is the referenced Green Devils and the Ryton offering might also be of interest?

Image maybe this one also would be of interest? Image

As an aside...
We have a new member of the AANA... Stephan that might be able to offer more on the Gebirgsjäger referenced as he is working up a chronological index of all units that participated in operations on African soil. He has been doing an indepth study for about four years now and is a very knowledgable researcher into GJR 756 or the 756. Gebirgsjäger-Regiment as the Great-Grandson of Berstleutnant Hans Hörtnagl whom was the last regimental commander of the unit... until its surrender in Tunisia.

Next, I'm very sorry about readers of this thread having to leave this forum to read about Ramcke elsewhere... I had thought that I had also placed the complete set of my write-up on the formation and breakdown of the component structure and operations of the Luftwaffenjäger-Brigade 1 or Fallschirmjäger-Brigade Ramcke here at this forum and not just at FeldGrau??? Sorry but had of course meant to do so. Where would you guys like it to be added here or to supplement another thread?

As for Daumiller and component operations and elements, I would be glad to aid in a more indepth query with what materials that I have collected. Simply let me know what I can do to assist!

Oasis

Re: SV Daumiller

Post by Oasis » 05 Jun 2008, 17:11

[/quote] Hi Cédric

Here is an interesting snippet - on 11 Jan SV Daumiller was reported to contain two platoons Gebirgsjäger. These would have been the only Gebirgsjäger in Afrika, right?

KG Burckhardt was ordered to occupy Marada at that point, which until then had been held by a reinforced company of Afrika Rgt 361 and Italian Sahara companies.

All the best

Andreas[/quote]

Hi Andreas
it results to me that on 16 nov. '41 2 pltns of G.J. (1. and 2. of 2.Co. SV288) join SV Daumiller. They will be joined on january by other elements of SV288 and by 614 men of FJ Lehrtruppe.
On 10th jan. '42 Daumiller (with Sperrverband Poseidon including GJ) takes position near Marada until 10 march, with GJ occupying the advanced positions near the salt lakes awaiting the LRDG.
Burkhardt is not sent to Marada, he will be later sent to take Gialo (4-5 february).
Regards
Toni

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 06 Jun 2008, 11:46

Nacht on those books, the one on the 3rd regt,are there then ones for the 1st and 2nd regt too?, but other regts after this also?, and how many pictures in them and any maps too, thanks.

Nacht

Post by Nacht » 06 Jun 2008, 16:15

Fallsch...

Only for the 3rd... but a great developmental understanding for for other later evolved units... these two are printed by Bender Publications and outstanding if you can still obtain a copy. I'd say buy them before they are gone!

The Ryton and H&C books are more 'sweeping' in concept and 'picture books' for the most part but include some interesting materials. The sources are few and far between for good single source German parachute force material in English. I can source you some German text additions that are also excellent?

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 12 Jun 2008, 11:27

Thanks for the info Nacht,and on the german versions,i wish i could,but dont understand or read german fully.

Urmel

Re: Demonstration para Unit (Lehrtruppe) XI. Flieger-Korps ?

Post by Urmel » 03 May 2010, 20:53

Does anyone know which type of 105mm guns the artillery battery had and whether these were deployed to North Africa?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

David W

Post by David W » 28 Apr 2011, 17:12

JBond.

I understand from shipping documents & monthly returns figures, that the guns were 10cm LG 2 (Not sure of full & correct designation) & that they were in North Africa.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 29 Apr 2011, 15:06

Brilliant, thanks! Do you have an arrival date?
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

David W

Post by David W » 30 Apr 2011, 00:21

I've got 15th July 1942. But I've a sneaky suspicion that that date refers to personnel, not guns.
Let me dig a little deeper...............

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 30 Apr 2011, 00:48

This link shows LG40s
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... hp?t=97821

From poster W Petz
Attachments
lg40_1.jpg
lg40_1.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
lg40_2.jpg
lg40_2.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
lg40_3.jpg
lg40_3.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 1331 times

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 30 Apr 2011, 07:52

David W wrote:I've got 15th July 1942. But I've a sneaky suspicion that that date refers to personnel, not guns.
Let me dig a little deeper...............
The personnel arrived at the end of 41 as part of the emergency response to CRUSADER.

Peter, do you have a date on those pictures?

David W

Post by David W » 30 Apr 2011, 08:14

JBond.

Your reference to 1941 as a date for personnel arriving has set alarm bells ringing.
Possibly some confusion on my part here.

Re-reading your post, you only refer to a Battery of guns.
I now need to ask which Battery you are refering to?

And to add the caveat to my answer; that I was refering to the three Batteries of II Abt F.J Art Reg.
And not a single Battery of guns within "Lehr".

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 30 Apr 2011, 10:31

Ah okay. I am talking about the guns which may have arrived with the initial transports of Kampfgruppe Burkhard in Jan 42.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 30 Apr 2011, 10:48

One poster there thinks the photos are around March 1942 but might be earlier in 1942.

Definitely not the Ramcke brigade because Ludwig Crüwell is shown in one of the photos(he was captured in late May 1942).

Crüwell can be seen here in centre.Burkhardt is directly behind him on the right.The officer on the left with googles as well is v Mellenthin.
Attachments
cruwell.jpg
cruwell.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”