Seppl the airborne dog

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Peter H

Seppl the airborne dog

Post by Peter H » 03 Mar 2008, 11:06

From Eric Queen's Red Shines the Sun....

Prewar with the Fallschirm-Infantrie-Kompanie.
Olt Pelz owned a little dog,named Seppl,who had his own little parachute and would jump with him.FIK members have said later that Pelz's reasoning behind having Seppl jump(which he loved to do and often tried to jump out the door sooner than they wanted him to)was to show the men that if even a dog could do it,they should be able to do it much better.
Pelz was later killed in Italy in 1944.
Attachments
seppl.jpg
seppl.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
seppl2.jpg
seppl2.jpg (53.37 KiB) Viewed 1459 times

Fallschirmjäger

Re: Seppl the airborne dog

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 08 Mar 2008, 10:13

So the dog was jumping or with him up to when he died?,and then what happened to the dog,i.Like did it stay with the troops until they where captured,or it was even killed with them,or given to local civilans etc...

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 08 Mar 2008, 10:33

I don't think the dog went to war.The photo is from around 1938.

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 08 Mar 2008, 10:40

Oh i see,thanks Peter,so it maybe stayed at the base in germany etc...or with his family etc..,wonder if it survived the war,as there was much destruction there,bombs,battles etc...

mkpelz

Post by mkpelz » 13 Apr 2010, 23:31

Hi there. I know these are old posts but just seeing them now. I can actually confirm per the family (as this is my grandfather) that he loved Seppl and would never put him through the horrors of combat. He was used for training purposes only and died while on one his jumps as when he landed, a truck ran him over.

vszulc

Post by vszulc » 27 May 2010, 07:43

LOL! Can you imagine a little sausage dog running around in battle, snapping at the heels of the defenders? LOL!

"He was used for training purposes only and died while on one his jumps as when he landed, a truck ran him over."

Aww, what a shame! You grandfather sounds like a nice guy, most dog people are... Hopefully the offending truckdriver was put before some sort of court martial, though I imagine he was devestated too...

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”