Woensdrechtcounty 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
A.C.E. van T.

Woensdrechtcounty 1944

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 04 Jul 2008, 16:53

Split from Heer Commanders FJ/HG thread--Peter H

Oberstleutnant Dreyer was Commander of Fj/E.u.A. Rgt Hermann Göring, later called Hermann Göring Division.
There were 3 traning units(According to Fullriede and he had to send 2 units to Anrheim-Holland section and one unit under Eindhoven.That one was deployed in the wrong place under Eindhoven surrounded and after heavy losses ordered to fight it's way back to german lines.
After that the Rgt came under K.G. Chill (85 I.D.) and Dreyer took over the command.
Ad hoc mixture of troops took place within KG Chill ,due to the heavy losses and scares resources.
At some time K.G. Dreyer became Hermann Göring Division.
Operation with FJR6 , I/FJR2 , 85 I.D. (parts of 84 I.D and 89 I.D.) Pz.Jg.Abt. 559 , Stug.Brig. 280

Operation area's : Beeringenbridge-head area Belgium /Neerpeltbridge-head area Belgium / Grave Area (Eerde ,Koevering attack Holland) september to october 1944. -Market Garden
Woensdrechtcounty area (Holland) Battle was fierce , with WW1 scene's
Roosendaal - Bergen op Zoom area (Holland) (On october 27 1944 Dreyer took over as a sort of frontcommander from von der Heydte who was transferred and ordererd to prepair last para drop for the Battle of the Bulge-
Nieuw-Vossemeercounty area (Holland) here Dreyer was ordered to design a plan to attack Antwerp symultanisly with the attack trough the Ardennen to take Antwerp by pincermovement.Plan was called Fall Braun.
At a very short range of his HQ, the O.D. Tholen (Dutch military resistance wing -most of the time just 5 man)captured the so called Spengkommando
Lt.Moeller I/FJR2 one NCO and one flieger and batteld against one Zug.German casulties unknown.
One resistance fighter was killed by sniper.
Also 2 officers(personel friends of Dreyer)deserted altough he thought the resistance took them.
Therefore he ordered to blow up the village onece they left and used civilian men as shield against the O.D.
There was not time to persuit,due to the allied advanche.
The feldwebel who was ordered to blow up the village didn't succeed.

Putten-Achterhoek (Holland) Here they began another warcrime.Of the 600 male civilians above 14 years old only 59 returned after the war from Germany

Fallschirmjäger

Re: Heer commanders of FJ/HG

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 05 Jul 2008, 04:38

This,"Woensdrechtcounty area (Holland) Battle was fierce , with WW1 scene's",any more info on it or where it can be found,or pictures and maps even too?.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 05 Jul 2008, 11:16

Fallschirmjäger: wrote:This,"Woensdrechtcounty area (Holland) Battle was fierce , with WW1 scene's",any more info on it or where it can be found,or pictures and maps even too?.
Woensdrechtcounty are 5 villages:Putte , Ossendrecht, Hoogerheide , Woensdrecht , Huybergen.
North of Antwerp (Belgium) South of Bergen op Zoom (Holland)

For instance near Huybergen 104 Fallschirmjäer of Fj/E.u.A.Rgt Hermann Göring were captured

More info at forum : Aufstelling 1. Fallschirm Armee

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 05 Jul 2008, 12:05

Thanks for the info A.C.E. van T.,so pictures and maps at that address right,and there where FJ in this HG unit you say?.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 05 Jul 2008, 13:35

Fallschirmjäger: wrote:Thanks for the info A.C.E. van T.,so pictures and maps at that address right,and there where FJ in this HG unit you say?.
You want pictures and maps?
For that you'll have to wait.At the moment I'm trying to put put things together on one map.
From Putte to Steenbergen ,from Rilland to Roosendaal
It's an enormous difficult task.
If you look at how many people investigated Market-Garden over the years,there aren't many who are intrested in Woensdrecht.
Well I can tell you this:
The Engte van Woensdrecht (This is the german name for the narrow trip of land east of Woensdrecht-between teh Easter and Wester Scheldt)was more important then Arnhem,because of Antwerp.
Allied advance depended on supllies coming from Normandy.
THEY SIMPLY COULDN'T ADVANCE ANY FURTHER.THE SUPPLYLINES WERE OVERSTRETCHED

"It's crucial that the allies can't use the Port of Antwerp"

Further more ,15 Armee(over 86.000) were able to escape from Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Holland)via the railway line Vlissingen-Bergen op Zoom-Roosendaal.
These were put in line straight away between Merxem(Antwerp-Belgium) to Arnhem(Holland)
The war wouldn't be over Christmas 1944

Yes,the core of the so called Hermann Göring Division was Fallschirmjager Ersatz und Ausbildings Regiment Hermann Göring,cadetts of the Division that was operating at the Eastern Front.
Unit wrongfully insurted at the Erdmann Division and with heavy losses and los of heavy armor ordered to fight it's way back to HKL.
85.I.D. (later Kampfgruppe Chill) had requested it's withdrawl earlier.
2 other units were send to the Arnhem sector

Fallschirmjäger

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 05 Jul 2008, 13:59

Yea no hurry on the pictures and maps,thanks for the info,like none of it on a website though?.And seen some sites with maps,lots,but not fully checked them out yet.And interested in any part where there are Fallschirmjäger or other luftwaffe ground units like these HG ones etc....

Ypenburg

Post by Ypenburg » 05 Jul 2008, 23:28

A.C.E. van T. wrote:
Fallschirmjäger: wrote:Thanks for the info A.C.E. van T.,so pictures and maps at that address right,and there where FJ in this HG unit you say?.
If you look at how many people investigated Market-Garden over the years,there aren't many who are intrested in Woensdrecht.
Well I can tell you this:
The Engte van Woensdrecht (This is the german name for the narrow trip of land east of Woensdrecht-between teh Easter and Wester Scheldt)was more important then Arnhem,because of Antwerp.
Allied advance depended on supllies coming from Normandy.
THEY SIMPLY COULDN'T ADVANCE ANY FURTHER.THE SUPPLYLINES WERE OVERSTRETCHED

"It's crucial that the allies can't use the Port of Antwerp"

Further more ,15 Armee(over 86.000) were able to escape from Zeeuws-Vlaanderen (Holland)via the railway line Vlissingen-Bergen op Zoom-Roosendaal.
These were put in line straight away between Merxem(Antwerp-Belgium) to Arnhem(Holland)
The war wouldn't be over Christmas 1944
The big differense being that Market Garden failed misserably, whilest the Allies obvious didn't learn anything from the German airlandings in Holland may 1940. However if they had succeed in Arnhem, they could have advanged right into the Ruhr-area, cut off 15. Armee and all German forces in Zeeland, Noord-Brabant etc. from recieving supplies and Ersatz they needed and that could have ended the war much sooner. Recieving supplies in Antwerpen not.
Maybe that's why Arnhem has been investigated much more.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 Jul 2008, 03:46

...the so called Hermann Göring Division was Fallschirmjager Ersatz und Ausbildungs Regiment Hermann Göring,cadets of the Division that was operating at the Eastern Front.
http://www.ww2.dk/ground/goering/ersrgt.htm

A general map of the region from Purnell's History of the Second World War.

Putte,Woensdrecht directly north of Antwerp.
Attachments
antwerp.jpg
antwerp.jpg (129.71 KiB) Viewed 4933 times

Fallschirmjäger

Re: Woensdrechtcounty 1944

Post by Fallschirmjäger » 08 Jul 2008, 07:51

I remember this map in a few books im shure,maybe even one i have,thanks Peter,i may have some others too from a book about battles in this area?.

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 08 Jul 2008, 11:04

hahaha, wousche plantage, hahaha

Piet, from Oudenbosch (defended by small rearguard elements of german 346. Inf.Div., liberated by 104th US Inf.Div.)

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 10 Jul 2008, 14:29

Piet Duits wrote:hahaha, wousche plantage, hahaha

Piet, from Oudenbosch (defended by small rearguard elements of german 346. Inf.Div., liberated by 104th US Inf.Div.)
You want something more : Zandvoort instead of Zandfort .And it's just North of Hoogeheide

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 11 Jul 2008, 16:33

What was the composition of KG Chill?

How did the Dutch civilians cope with the fighting around them?

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 12 Jul 2008, 05:53

Kampfgruppe Chill

As the 346th Infantry Division moved away from the Canadian front, the Canadians found themselves opposed by elements of the 85th Infantry Division, placed under the command of Generalleutnant Kurt Chill and consequently referred to as Battle Group Chill.

The Kampfgruppe consisted of

a) Remnants of Grenadier (Infantry) Regiment 1054 and Grenadier Regiment 1055
b) Field Replacement Battalion 185
c) The 1st Battalion of Parachute Regiment 2
d) The 1st and 3rd Battalions of Parachute Regiment 6
e) Training and Replacement Regiment "Hermann Göring"
f) Artillery Regiment 185

http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com/history/chill.htm

Hope this helps some :)

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 12 Jul 2008, 12:54

Thanks Laurence

Peter

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 15 Jul 2008, 14:52

Peter H wrote:What was the composition of KG Chill?

It's a long list with a lot of maybe's and takes a very long time.
Just tried for the 3rd time,and was kicked off again.
I''l do part wise so everything is not in vain

How did the Dutch civilians cope with the fighting around them?
Same answer

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”