Woensdrechtcounty 1944

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
A.C.E. van T.

Re: Woensdrechtcounty 1944

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 05 Jul 2010, 06:01

A.C.E. van T. wrote:
mikerock wrote:There is a picture of a KO'd StuH in Hoogerheide later in the book, possibly the vehicle mentioned!
The Pz you refere to is on the road Korteven to Hoogerheide is a StuG.But it is´s possible.
But I´m told it was towed away in haste by the Canadians on the intersection at the Raadhuisstr. as the panzer was abandend by it´s crew ,but not severely damaged.
This location is somewhat south.
Canadian sources mention a possible Ferdinand,although there is up to now no evidence so it could have been a brummbear.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 06 Jul 2010, 19:44

A.C.E. van T. wrote:
A.C.E. van T. wrote:
mikerock wrote:There is a picture of a KO'd StuH in Hoogerheide later in the book, possibly the vehicle mentioned!
The Pz you refere to is on the road Korteven to Hoogerheide is a StuH .
The position is on the left were the Boerenbond is
It is´s possible this is the one they refere to.
But I´m told it was towed away in haste by the Canadians on the intersection at the Raadhuisstr. as the panzer was abandend by it´s crew ,but not severely damaged.
This location is somewhat more south at the intersection to Woensdrecht.
Canadian sources mention a possible Ferdinand,although there is up to now no evidence so it could have been a brummbear.
Sergeant Gregory John Eno of the Canadian Fort Gary Horse shot what he recognized as a Panther ablaze.

RJA1969

Post by RJA1969 » 04 Apr 2014, 21:13

A.C.E. van T. wrote:
A.C.E. van T. wrote:KG : Chill

Stab 85. I.D.
Nachrichten-Abt. 185

FJR. 6 :
Stab = Rgt.-Stab / Pi.u.Nachr.-Zug, Abt. K-Offz.
1. Btl. = Stab I./6 , 1. - 4. Komp.
2. Bt.l = Stab II./6 u. Nachr.-Zug , 5. - 8. Kömp. (II./FJR 18-Hoffmann"KGr.Stephan" org. II./FJR 6 transf.to 59. I.D.)
3. Btl. = Stab III./6 u. Nachr.-Zug , 9. - 12. Komp.
4. Btl. = Nachr.-Zug , 13. - 17. Komp

regiment absorbed: remnants KGr.. Hoetz, Feld-Ersatz-Btl. 347, KGr. Zoeber, Luftwaffen-Straf-Btl. 6
and possible:KGr. Vehrenkamp, I./FJR 2 , SS-KGr. Heinke, KGr. Walther, SS-Pi.Sprengkommando L.A.H.,1054. and 1055 GR.
Replacements just before this campagn unknown,but FJR6 was specially enlarged

Pz.JgAbt.:???
z.b.V.s.StuG-Brigade 280

Division "Hermann Göring" (so called Ghost Division) (OTL Dreyer)
Stab (1053. GR or "HG")
Fsch.E.u.A. Rgt "Hermann Göring" (remnantants of Abt.2 Hptmn Möller) *UNIT 2
(with Pz.Gr. "H.G." from Abt. 1 or 3) *UNIT 1 or 3
I/FJR2 "Finzel"(with Pz.Gr. "H.G." from Abt. 1 or 3) *UNIT 1 or 3
K.G."Öhler" (with Pz.Gr. "H.G." from Abt. 1 or 3) * UNIT 1 or 3

Pz.Jg.Abt.:???
z.v.V.StuG-Brigade 255

H.G.D also propably consisted of remnants of 1053. GR

Artillery (??Brigade 18 ??)
Stab : Art.Rgt 185 + Flak-Abt 195
I/185 :unknown
II/185 :Art.Guppe Ackermann (S-E Roosendaal,possible Zegge)
18./SS-Ausb.Art.Rgt. V z.b.V. 245. I.D.
17./SS-Ausb.Art.Rgt. V
4./925?925 Flak-Abt.

III./185 :(Art.Ausb.Rgt. "Hermann Göring" - "Hermann Göring" Lehr-Abt.) * (unit 4)
14. Abt.Art.Ausb.Rgt. "Hermann Göring"
15. Abt.Art.Ausb.Rgt. "Hermann Göring"
16. Abt Art.Ausb.Rgt. "Hermann Göring"

8./185
9./185
2./925

StuH.Brig. 667
s. StuG.Brig. 244
(* Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Regiment / Divison "Hermann Göring" .There must have been 4 units + 1 Pz.Jg.unit)

Pionier-Abteilung : Pionier-Kompanie 347. I.D.
Pionier-Kompanie 185. I.D.

Pz.Jg.Abt ???
3./170. I.D.
3./344. I.D.
1./185. I.D.

Kampfgruppe maybe consisted of :
remnants 484 Landesschützen-Btl.
1018 I.R. (transf from 70 I.D to 346 I.D.
( last know position S-E of Huybergen-Kalmthoutse Heide
Only 4 paratroopers of FJR. 6 with s.MG's took position on the norther-west part of the railwayline.
But it's also possible they were under command of FJR. 6)

HQ's Chill =Het Kasteeltje Plantage-Centrum/ Kriegsmarine Feldlazarett Vrederust Main building
HQ's Von der Heydte=Villa Mattenburg /Don Cammillo( Grote Markt)-Bergen op Zoom/Villa Bergina -(Halsterseweg Halsteren nowadays Bergen op Zoom) This was his last HQ on October 27 1944 before he left to Germany in prepairation for the Battle of the Bulge)
HQ Dreyer propably last HQ von der Heydte
Farm near Nieuw-Vossemeer

On October 27 1944 plan was to take KGr. Chill out of the frontline and trasfer them to Walcheren.
That was propably the reason why "HG" took over FJR6 possitions at Panzersperre "de Zoom"
On that day troops of FJR6 reseived a paper from their commander von der Heydte,told informed them of his transfer
and where he thank them and told about his promotion.
Some people I gave that info and it's a pitty they don't read the info I give propperly.

=============================================================================================
I'll have to make dividing lines to give more detailed information:
Vertical lines will run between Bergen op Zoom city -Roosendaal city about 20 to 25 km wide)
Horizontal lines are to difficult due to the fact that HKL lines are not streight
=============================================================================================
Area:
On the left you first have the Wester-Scheldte than the Easter-Scheldte and in the Middle the so called Engte of Woensdrecht.You'll have to look on old maps and the name doesn't exist.It's just a name.

Hinkeloordpolder is innundated by german.There isn't a freeway yet.

There isn't a freeway from Bergen op Zoom East,just the mainroad called Antwerpsetraatweg
It's the main road that still lies next to the new road.
Near Mattenburg is a viaduct were

Kampflinie 1 : Putte
Kampflinie 2 : Ossendrecht
Kampflinie 3 : East of Putseweg between Putte and Jagersrust(crossroads Ossendrecht-Huybergen-Hoogerheide)
Kampflinie 4 : Between Calven and Jagersrust
Kampflinie 5 : Between Calven and Bunt
Kampflinie 6 : Between Bunt - Hinkelenoordpolder and Woensdrecht
Kampflinie 7 : Between Hinkelenoordpolder and Railwayline

Kampflinie 8 : southern part Kriegsmarine-Stellung 16. Schiff-Stamm-Abteilung (Duintjes-Pantage Centrum - Wouwse-Plantage)
Kampflinie 9 : eastern part Kriegsmarine-Stellung 16. Schiff-Stamm-Abteilung (Lage Meren-Vijverberg-Mondaf)
Kampflinie 10: northern part Kriegsmarine-Stellung 16. Schiff-Stamm-Abteilung (Panzersperre "de Zoom"-river "de Zoom")

16. Schiff-Stamm-Abteilung, Stellung contained 3 Main Lagers the fourth is unknown to me and must lie near Wouwse-Plantage
1. near railwayline
2. opposite of Villa Mattenburg
3. opposite of E45 Fliegerhorst Woensdrecht-Huybersebaan

HKL: Stellung von Bath - Railwayline - Woensdrecht Railwaystation- LIndonk-Korteven-Zandfort-Nederheide-FLIEGERHORST WOENSDRECHT E45(-Zandfort-Hoogerheide-Plantage-.........-Huybergen)-..........-Plantage Centrum-Wouwse-Plantage

E45 Fliegerhorst Woensdrecht: 30 meter wide minefields East -South-West of Airbase with bunkers to cover them and several entrances/roads used as emergancy runways
The base has one radarunit and there is also somewhere a unit that is used to transmit messages comming from Berlin to IJmuiden,St Nazaire and to U boats in the "Atlantik"

Roosendaal:Garrison 2500men 40 sMG's+some PAK

East of Roosendaal (South of Zundert)
245. I.D was tranferred from Tilburg to Roosendaalarea as reserve for attack on 2nd Can. I.D.
extra :
Pz.Jg.Abt. 244
Pz.Jg.Abt. 259 (Loenhout/Wuustewezel-Belgium)
I was wondering where you got the information on the location of the three Lagers of 16 S.St.A.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 29 Apr 2014, 01:22

Sorry for the late reply.
I have a copy of a map

Wiking79

Post by Wiking79 » 03 Feb 2020, 21:33

Does Anyone know were the german’s concentrated in the forrest near hoogerheide and huijbergen.
Thanks already for ready this.

A.C.E. van T.

Post by A.C.E. van T. » 04 Feb 2020, 20:58

That depends on the date and forrest location.
Be specific please.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”