Every man at Crete awarded EK II?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
jmark

Every man at Crete awarded EK II?

Post by jmark » 06 Apr 2012, 09:52

Hi,

Is it true that every participant in the Crete operation received an EK II (and if he already had one, he received the EK I)? If so, are the requirements known (ie, had to set foot on Cretan soil during a certain time period)?

Thanks
Jason

Ypenburg

Re: Every man at Crete awarded EK II?

Post by Ypenburg » 14 Apr 2012, 18:44

Jason, i.m.o. not true.

It has been mentionned before that the same applied for the FJ's in Holland, which turned out to be incorrect. It is however mentionned too that jumping while under enemy-fire ("hot LZ") was worth an EK II, but I heaven't seen any prove of that untill now. As for f.e. Korinth there is a small paper you should have on which is written who should be awarded with an EK II or EK I and most FJ there also jumped "under fire". The list only mentions about 15 names if I remember correctly.

I do have copies of papers from the FJ-Sanitätsabteilung in which an officer mentionned people who should be rewarded an EK and why. So every man an EK II ?? I think not.

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 16 Apr 2012, 20:47

I don't know about everyone but there does seem to be a very large amount of Crete based EK's for not just FJ's but also Gebirgsjäger. I have seen quite a few Crete related citation sets and Soldbucher/Wehrpässe for the paras and they usually include at least one EK award dated for Crete. And I myself have a Wehrpass to a member of Luftlande-Sturm-Rgt. 1 and a Soldbuch to a member of Fallschirm-Panzerjäger-Abt. 7 who were both at Crete and both awarded EK's, as was a member of GJR 100 who I have a Soldbuch to.
I'd be interested if anyone knows the percentage of those involved who won at least one of the EK grades for Crete.

DKig

Post by DKig » 03 Jan 2017, 06:38

i would like to know every man at Crete awarded Kreta cufftitle?
because my man was there but not be awarded

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 03 Jan 2017, 19:31

DKig wrote:i would like to know every man at Crete awarded Kreta cufftitle?
because my man was there but not be awarded
Hallo DKiG, see at the conditions of hire the cufftitle here
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Orden/kret.html

Dieter Z.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”