1. Fallschirmjäger-Division in Manfredonia, Apulia (Italy)??

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
lorenzo19823

1. Fallschirmjäger-Division in Manfredonia, Apulia (Italy)??

Post by lorenzo19823 » 16 Nov 2013, 22:57

Hi there, I'm an italian student and i'm working on a graduation thesis about the combat history of 93rd battallion of italian M.V.S.N.
This unit was present in Apulia (with HQ located in Manfredonia) on semptember 8, 1943, integrated in the 209th coastal division of Italian Army.

During my research in the Italian Army archives in Rome, I've found several evidence about some clashes between two companies of the 93rd battallion and german units in the area near Manfredonia and Zapponeta (province of Foggia) on the 9th of september, the day after italian armistice. Is it possible that the german units were part of the 1.t Fallschirmjäger-Division? Do you have any others informations about the german deployment in this area? Thanks, Lorenzo

Doktor Krollspell

Re: 1. Fallschirmjäger-Division in Manfredonia, Apulia (Ital

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 18 Nov 2013, 23:44

Hello Lorenzo,

The main unit that was present in the Foggia area on 8/9 September 1943 was the II./Fallschirmjäger-Regimentt 6, part of the 2.FJD. The Batallion commander was Major Gericke and they were actually in "Biwak in den Olivenhainen nahe Manfredonia" (Source: Volker Griesser "Die Löwen von Carentan - Das Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 1943-1945", 2007).

It was this unit that were air-lifted from Foggia Airport on 06.30, September 9, 1943 to attack the Italian Army HQ at Monterotondo north east om Rome. The above mentioned source doesn't mention any skirmish action with Italian units just prior to their departure from Foggia Airport, but it's likely that it could have been troops from II./Fallsch.Jg.Rgt. 6 that might have participated if so...

Regards,

Krollspell

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”