Fallschirm-Flak-MG-Bataillon 7 in Kreta

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
jlchacon

Fallschirm-Flak-MG-Bataillon 7 in Kreta

Post by jlchacon » 28 Dec 2013, 01:06

I am continuing my research on the Invasion of Crete and requesting some assistance 3./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl. 7 commanded by Olt. Theuerling. Several sources indicated the company landed with elements of Luftlande-Sturmregiment but I have not been able to find out with which battalion or where they were landed. If anyone can assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

Doktor Krollspell

Re: Fallschirm-Flak-MG-Bataillon 7 in Kreta

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 29 Dec 2013, 21:53

Hello Joe,

The 3./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl. 7 (Olt. Theuerling) jumped together with IV./LL-Sturm-Rgt. (Hptm Gericke), or to be more exakt with the 13./LL-Sturm-Rgt in the first assault wave on Maleme Airport. The greater part of these units landed between the two smaller towns/villages Tavronitis and Kamisiana, just west and southwest of Maleme airport.
“Nur wenige Minuten nach der Landung de Sturmgruppen der 3. Und 4./SturmRgt werden als 1. Welle der Gruppe West das IV./SturmRgt (Hptm Gericke), dabei auch die Kompanie Osius, Teile der Stabskompanie des Regiments und die 3./FschSanAbt 7 (StArzt Dr. Siebert, ohne einen Zug) abgesetzt. Im Verband der 13./SturmRgt spring auch die 3./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl. 7 (Olt Theuerling) mit drei ihrer 2-cm-Flak. Gleichzeitig fliegen auch vier Lastensegler mit Funktrupps und weitere vier mit zwei Geschützen der 1./FschArtAbt 7 den Absetzraum an.
Source: Karl-Heinz Golla; "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936-1941: Ihr Aufbau und ihr Einsatz in den ersten Feldzügen der Wehrmacht" (2006).

Regards,

Krollspell

jlchacon

Post by jlchacon » 01 Jan 2014, 00:01

Krollspell,

Excellent and thank you very much. It was just what I was looking for and opened my research to a couple of other things. My previous research had the 1./FschArtAbt 7 arriving with the airlanding forces around 1900 on 22 May with elements of the II Gebirgs-Artillerie-Regiment 95 - I think from Kurowski's books.

I also was not aware of gliders used to land elements of the IV/LL-Sturm-Rgt. Another layer of the onion to peel!

Obviously, I was missing a key piece of research without Golla's book. I've since ordered a copy, in english, as I can make out the German but struggle a bit (The German Fallschirmtruppe 1936-41 (Revised edition): Its Genesis and Employment in the First Campaigns of the Wehrmacht)

Thanks again!

Joe

Doktor Krollspell

Post by Doktor Krollspell » 01 Jan 2014, 13:45

I'm glad that the information was useful for you, Joe. The Golla book is really good and I can also highly recommend the following two volumes in the same series from the publishing company Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn, namely:

Stimpel, Hans-Martin; "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942-1945; Einsätze auf Kriegsschauplätzen im Süd" (1998/2006)

Stimpel, Hans-Martin; "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1942-1945; Einsätze auf Kriesschauplätzen im Osten und Westen" (2001)

There's also a fourth and final volume in this series that I haven't bought yet...

Stimpel, Hans-Martin; "Die deutsche Fallschirmtruppe 1936-1945; Innenansichten von Führung und Truppen" (2009)

I would say that this four volume series is one of the best and most complete when it comes to the Fallschirmtruppe in WWII.

http://www.amazon.de/Die-deutsche-Falls ... j%C3%A4ger

http://www.amazon.de/deutsche-Fallschir ... j%C3%A4ger

http://www.amazon.de/Die-deutsche-Falls ... j%C3%A4ger

Regards,

Krollspell

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”