Feldgendarmerie Normandy

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Bart V.

Feldgendarmerie Normandy

Post by Bart V. » 21 Apr 2014, 11:30

Was it already identified to which unit they belonged? If so, I cannot manage to find it. I read on another forum somewhere (while searching Feldgendarmerie and Normandy) that they may have belonged to the 3 FJD? Anyone can clarify more? All help appreciated.
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-585-2184-24,_Frankreich,_Normandie,_Feldgendarme.jpg

Bart V.

Re: Feldgendarmerie Normandy

Post by Bart V. » 21 Apr 2014, 11:48

With an Officer
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-585-2184-33,_Frankreich,_Normandie,_Fallschirmjäger.jpg

schwarzermai

Post by schwarzermai » 27 Apr 2014, 19:56

hello

maybe Feldgendarmerie-Trupp (b) 675 attached to II.Fallsch.Korps since January 1944?

Uwe
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=223633

My Bookproject: "Organisationsgeschichte der deutschen Heeresartillerie im II. Weltkrieg"

http://balsi.de/Heeresartillerie/

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 27 Apr 2014, 21:35

Hi,

It is possible that these FJ are from 5th FJ Div, see attached photo of a grave, and the FJ with the net on his helmet is almost for sure the same Unterofficer that is is the second photo above. And the FJ who is in the grave seems to have been identified in the written notes above.
There are about 20 photos of this Feldgendarmerie group in existence.

cheers leonard paul

Bart V.

Post by Bart V. » 29 Apr 2014, 00:37

Dear Leonard Paul, interesting, do you have some more to share so we can exclude more or identify more?

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 29 Apr 2014, 08:48

Hi Bart,V.

Most are just the same group of FJ standing around, but others include two of their vehicles seen below.

cheers leonard paul

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 29 Apr 2014, 11:06

If you go to Bundesarchiv and do an advanced search for the photographs of ZIMMERMANN you'll find two pages of photographs of these men including a VW Kübel.
Alan

Bart V.

Post by Bart V. » 29 Apr 2014, 13:40

Dear Alan, yes a couple of more but I don't find close to 20 he mentions. Maybe another silly question but how do you get the Bundesarchiv images bigger like the ones I posted?

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 29 Apr 2014, 13:43

HI Alan,
Many thanks for the Bundesarchiv link for Normandy and Holland, there are still a few more additional photos to these seen in other books etc., of this group of Fs Fg, and very interesting they are.

I must admit I have highjacked their number plates for my own two vehicles in order to represent the J-zug of a typical Fs Fj Trupp (mot), so I dream on. :lol: the BMW should be back in Normandy in June for the 70th. if only I knew whereabouts those photos were taken ???? :idea:

cheers leonard paul

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 29 Apr 2014, 14:31

Bart V. wrote:Dear Alan, yes a couple of more but I don't find close to 20 he mentions. Maybe another silly question but how do you get the Bundesarchiv images bigger like the ones I posted?

I found a total of 37 photographs of FJ by Zimmermann , 9 are of this group of Feldgendermerie. As for the size of the photographs on BA have you been looking at just the "Page" full or clicking on the individual photographs ?
Alan

Bart V.

Post by Bart V. » 29 Apr 2014, 16:04

Alan, I also found 9 but thought there where or are more as Spannermann mentioned there are 20 known of this Feldgendarmerie group.
I click on an indiviually photograph (after making a search like Zimmermann) and on the left side the photograph shows and to the right all the information but I cannot get a bigger image - only the small size one with the bundesarchiv watermarks?

spannermann

Post by spannermann » 29 Apr 2014, 17:36

Hello Bart and Alan,

The 20 photos I mentioned of this Fs Fg group is an off the cuff estimate only, but there are definitely more than the 9 in the Zimmermann section of the Bundesarchiv, the trouble is that I have never seen them all in one place, they are scattered across many different publications (and more recently forums) over many years, and often captioned as something else in some other place than Normandy.

But Normandy is correct, in the background of the lEpkw Kfz 2/2 photo is a typical Normandy cast iron sign post, with an acorn on top, its a pity that the sign cannot be read for a more accurate location, but somewhere around St Lo is the most probable.

Out of interest the OOB of a Feldgendamerie-Trupp (motorised) does include a small maintenance section (J-Zug) that consists of one Kfz 2/40 and one sKrad mit Beiwagen, and of course the Stoewer Kfz 2/40 with its Instandsetzungs equipment (see attached photo) and the BMW R75 are those very vehicles specified in the OOB.

cheers leonard paul

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”