Schweinfurt Flak Batteries - info wanted

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Geoff Walden

Schweinfurt Flak Batteries - info wanted

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Feb 2005, 20:53

Looking for primary references - photos, period diaries, letters, military documents - about the flak batteries that protected the ball bearing factories in Schweinfurt, Bavaria. The Schweinfurt batteries were under overall command of Flak-Regiment 179, and were manned by Luftwaffe personnel, RAD personnel, and Flakhelfer. Especially looking for period photos of the flak gun positions and emplacements.

Geoff Walden

CDBrandon82

Re: Schweinfurt Flak Batteries - info wanted

Post by CDBrandon82 » 18 Dec 2013, 23:59

Geoff,

I am currently stationed in Schweinfurt, and trying to recreate the second raid on Schweinfurt on a UTM style map I have of the area. I have found a great deal of information on the website thirdreichinruins.com. There is a tab when you scroll down that covers Schweinfurt. Outstanding information and pictures there. I am also seeking further information on the subject. I would be interested in hearing what you know. I currently work on the old Schweinfurt Flügplatz, home of the Luftwaffe Stuka Dive Bombers. I have been working on an overlay of the old post as it relates to how it looks now. It has proven to be a daunting task due to scaling and pixelation issues.

Regards,

Chris Brandon

kstdk

Post by kstdk » 19 Dec 2013, 10:48

Hello

If the site you Refer to is this:

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/

It is in fact Geoff Waldens site, and it is a great site indeed :)

Regards
Kurt
kstdk

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 19 Dec 2013, 17:55

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply! I never thought I would see a reply in this thread. :milwink:

And welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

I sent you an e-mail/PM ... we have much to discuss!

And also ... thanks very much, Kurt, for the kind comment!

Geoff

CDBrandon82

Post by CDBrandon82 » 20 Dec 2013, 09:58

Kurt,

I am not sure how I did not make the connection! Lol! I have torn that site up to better understand the Schweinfurt area, seen Geoff's name many times, but didn't dawn on me until you said that.

-Chris
Last edited by CDBrandon82 on 20 Dec 2013, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

CDBrandon82

Post by CDBrandon82 » 20 Dec 2013, 10:08

Geoff,

I must say that I am very impressed with your website! That has been more useful than words can express! I was stationed in Strassburg Kaserne, and I thought it was awesome to see those old photos you had! I have a HUGE photo of that Kasern from 1938. It was a scan from the original that was found in the basement of HHB's barracks. If you are interested in seeing it, I would definitely be willing to share it with you. I also have other post-war photos of it. There was a whole underground tunnel system under that place. We used to get down in the sub-basements to explore on the weekends.i have some pics from my building's sub-basement if you are interested in that.

I also have some relics that I am not too certain on the history of. If you are willing to take a look, I would definitely be willing to share!

-Chris

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”