Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Opinions on BWB

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

Opinions on BWB

Postby grimlin13 on 20 Feb 2013 01:59

Any opinions on this unmarked BWB? I noticed that there isn`t a rivet on the backside of the helmet. Anyone know who the maker might be. Thanks for any help.
grimlin13
bwb nr b_800x600.JPG

bwb nr_800x600.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grimlin13
United States

Location: In the middle of nowhere,at the end of the line Kansas.

Re: Opinions on BWB

Postby John G. on 20 Feb 2013 12:29

No problem with this well used BWB.....I'm not sure, poss. traces of a mark on the reverse, on the helmet "skirt"....but it may be a defect or "lint".....if without a marking, I couldn't tell you who the maker was.....maybe someone can....but the badge itself is real....salty, but has "character".

I have no idear what you mean by "rivet" (?)....no 18, 39, or 44 pattern Wound Badge has a rivet? ......(unless some jewelers made private purchase screwback or something..??..)

Anyway... good collecting....
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby grimlin13 on 20 Feb 2013 23:59

The rivet that I`m talking about is the one that is suppose to be on the helmet in the back. I have circled the one on the side towards the front and circled where the one at the back is supposed to be.
grimlin13
bwb nr_800x600 (1)mark.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grimlin13
United States

Postby freddiefro on 21 Feb 2013 16:15

John G. wrote:I have no idear what you mean by "rivet" (?)....no 18, 39, or 44 pattern Wound Badge has a rivet? ......(unless some jewelers made private purchase screwback or something..?)

John G.

I believe grimlin13 is refering to a rivet on the back of the embossed helmet itself, not actually through the medal as a "screw-back." Below (from John R. Angolia's "For Führer und Fatherland: Military Awards of the Third Reich") seems to show a rivet at the back of the helmet for the award in Silver. The award in gold (from "Nazi Regalia" by Jack Pia) also seems to show a rivet. The Wound Badge in Black (from my own collection) also has a rivet. Axis History Factbook (http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1815) shows all three (Black, Silver & Gold) with a rivet. However, I have seen them without a rivet as well…perhaps differences in manufacturer's specifications?

Fred
freddiefro
United States

Postby John G. on 21 Feb 2013 18:29

The rear liner pin "never occurred" to me.....since it's not a rivet....but you're probably right.
John G.
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby grimlin13 on 22 Feb 2013 07:25

So,since it appears that Fred has seen a Wound Badge without a "pin liner" on the back of the embossed helmet as well and that it could be due to the difference in a manufacturers specifications, it should be good. Right? I wonder if anyone has ever researched the "Missing Rear Liner Pin" Wound Badges? Maybe it would be a way to eventually identify the maker. Just a thought.
grimlin13
grimlin13
United States

Postby freddiefro on 22 Feb 2013 13:50

grimlin13 wrote:So,since it appears that Fred has seen a Wound Badge without a "pin liner" on the back of the embossed helmet as well and that it could be due to the difference in a manufacturers specifications, it should be good. Right?

gremlin13,
Because I've seen a Wound Badge without a rear "pin" could also mean that I was viewing a reproduction. I know that many of the 36/39 Wound Badges (Spanish War) had no "pin." Perhaps it's one of them. I am not as knowledgeable as the experts on this forum and only have a small collection. I would defer to the members of this forum, who have studied this in much more detail.

Fred
freddiefro
United States

Postby William Kramer on 23 Feb 2013 17:57

Hello there,

Even without the rear helmet rivet I have no problem with the badge that started this thread.

William Kramer
William Kramer
Forum Staff
United States

Return to Axis Awards