Opinions on BWB

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
grimlin13

Opinions on BWB

Post by grimlin13 » 20 Feb 2013, 02:59

Any opinions on this unmarked BWB? I noticed that there isn`t a rivet on the backside of the helmet. Anyone know who the maker might be. Thanks for any help.
grimlin13
bwb nr b_800x600.JPG
bwb nr_800x600.JPG

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Opinions on BWB

Post by John G. » 20 Feb 2013, 13:29

No problem with this well used BWB.....I'm not sure, poss. traces of a mark on the reverse, on the helmet "skirt"....but it may be a defect or "lint".....if without a marking, I couldn't tell you who the maker was.....maybe someone can....but the badge itself is real....salty, but has "character".

I have no idear what you mean by "rivet" (?)....no 18, 39, or 44 pattern Wound Badge has a rivet? ......(unless some jewelers made private purchase screwback or something..??..)

Anyway... good collecting....
John G.

grimlin13

Post by grimlin13 » 21 Feb 2013, 00:59

The rivet that I`m talking about is the one that is suppose to be on the helmet in the back. I have circled the one on the side towards the front and circled where the one at the back is supposed to be.
grimlin13
bwb nr_800x600 (1)mark.JPG

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 21 Feb 2013, 17:15

John G. wrote:I have no idear what you mean by "rivet" (?)....no 18, 39, or 44 pattern Wound Badge has a rivet? ......(unless some jewelers made private purchase screwback or something..?)
John G.

I believe grimlin13 is refering to a rivet on the back of the embossed helmet itself, not actually through the medal as a "screw-back." Below (from John R. Angolia's "For Führer und Fatherland: Military Awards of the Third Reich") seems to show a rivet at the back of the helmet for the award in Silver. The award in gold (from "Nazi Regalia" by Jack Pia) also seems to show a rivet. The Wound Badge in Black (from my own collection) also has a rivet. Axis History Factbook (http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1815) shows all three (Black, Silver & Gold) with a rivet. However, I have seen them without a rivet as well…perhaps differences in manufacturer's specifications?

Fred
Attachments
Verwundetenabzeichen.jpg
Verwundetenabzeichen.jpg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 843 times

John G.

Post by John G. » 21 Feb 2013, 19:29

The rear liner pin "never occurred" to me.....since it's not a rivet....but you're probably right.
John G.

grimlin13

Post by grimlin13 » 22 Feb 2013, 08:25

So,since it appears that Fred has seen a Wound Badge without a "pin liner" on the back of the embossed helmet as well and that it could be due to the difference in a manufacturers specifications, it should be good. Right? I wonder if anyone has ever researched the "Missing Rear Liner Pin" Wound Badges? Maybe it would be a way to eventually identify the maker. Just a thought.
grimlin13

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 22 Feb 2013, 14:50

grimlin13 wrote:So,since it appears that Fred has seen a Wound Badge without a "pin liner" on the back of the embossed helmet as well and that it could be due to the difference in a manufacturers specifications, it should be good. Right?
gremlin13,
Because I've seen a Wound Badge without a rear "pin" could also mean that I was viewing a reproduction. I know that many of the 36/39 Wound Badges (Spanish War) had no "pin." Perhaps it's one of them. I am not as knowledgeable as the experts on this forum and only have a small collection. I would defer to the members of this forum, who have studied this in much more detail.

Fred

William Kramer

Post by William Kramer » 23 Feb 2013, 18:57

Hello there,

Even without the rear helmet rivet I have no problem with the badge that started this thread.

William Kramer

Return to “Axis Awards”