German Porcelain Medal - Greek Campaign 1941

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Black Dudley

German Porcelain Medal - Greek Campaign 1941

Post by Black Dudley » 26 Mar 2015, 12:27

Bought a 4,8 cm diameter Meissen made porcelain remembrance medal, dedicated to "Feldzug im Südosten 1941" (Campaign in South-East 1941) in the middle is the script " Wir werden England schlagen wo wir es treffen" (We will beat England, where we meet it) underneath is a small black fascist image, the reverse has a eagle flying, gripping a bomb. I'm sure, it commentates the south-eastern campaign 1941 in Greece, fighting against the British prior to the Russian invasion. The reverse shows a flying eagle with a bomb in its talons, not a divisional motif, think its possibly a regiment's or units motif. Does any member which one ? Cheers
Attachments
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

GregSingh

Re: German Porcelain Medal - Greek Campaign 1941

Post by GregSingh » 27 Mar 2015, 12:59

If I am not mistaken sentence comes from 30th January 1941 AH Reichstag speech and eagle with a bomb was a symbol of the 1st Staffel of KG2, which among other things took part in bombing Belgrade in 1941.

Black Dudley

Post by Black Dudley » 29 Mar 2015, 20:21

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your post, its helped me immensely. I'm not skilled enough in research, to find out, what Hitler said on so and so date - but I'm sure you didn't get the date 30th January 1941 out of thin air and are miles better informed than me. Reading the sentence again, it does have a bombastic ring to it, similar to A.H.'s usual style.
Had success with your suggestion - 1st Gruppe Kampfgeschwader 2 - looking though "Lexikon der Wehrmacht" their biography fits, they were in April 1941 in the Balkans, then at Saloniki and Athens-Tatoi and importantly their motif matches. Again thanks for the help.
Attachments
1KG2-1.JPG
1KG2-1.JPG (9.24 KiB) Viewed 413 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 30 Mar 2015, 01:01

I got it almost right. That speech, it was before Reichstag speech, but actually took place in Sports Palace.
Adolf Hitler Speech at the Berlin Sports Palace (January 30, 1941)

An English translation goes like that: [..]Perhaps they pin their hopes on the Balkans. If I were they, I would not give much for that. One thing is certain. Whenever England puts in an appearance we shall attack her, and we are sufficiently strong to do so.[..]

Are you sure that symbol is for the whole Gruppe? I thought it was for a 1st Staffel.
I./K.G.2 - is a first Gruppe
1./K.G.2 - is a first Staffel (of the first Gruppe anyway)

Black Dudley

Post by Black Dudley » 30 Mar 2015, 09:46

Yes Greg, you are right, my mistake, the motif was for the first Staffel of the first Gruppe.
Makes me wonder how many of these porcelain commemoration medals were issued ? I was reading there were about 80 ground personnel per bombing Staffel ( a lot of the servicing functions on bombers was done by unattached local luftgau people ) if the Staffel had the maximum number of 16 planes, the number of flying crews would be around 120 plus 80 ground personnel = about 200 people, each received two medals makes a number of 400 plus spares.
Imagine Meissen had a minimum limit for producing these small series runs possibly 500 ? don't know know just speculating.
Thanks for the extra information.

Return to “Axis Awards”