Ken Lane EK I & II, fake or real?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ruskigeroi

Ken Lane EK I & II, fake or real?

Post by Ruskigeroi » 04 May 2015, 23:51

Thanks for your advice on Ken Lane!
At 16, I simply didn't know enough and I was too trusting. Yes, it hurts to say this, but I was used and I'm not in denial.
The KCs he gave me are all restrikes and I found this out in the 1970s. They are marked "800" under the loop on the back. Now, you have my curiosity up on the EK I and II. There are no markings on them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are restrikes too, but I sure would like to know.

Incidentally, I was in Russia a few years ago and in this large town, they had an antique collectors fair. There were a number of military dealers and many of them were selling fake German WWII medals and uniforms. I wonder where they got them from. Then later on, there was a swapmeet along the streets with lots of kiosks and tables. On one table, there was an "old" Knights Cross with a soiled neck ribbon. The old babushka said, "That's an old medal from the war which my father brought back." I feigned interest and asked her the price. She said, $500."
I knew right away that it was a restrike...had L/58 stamped on the back, a genuine Rudolf Souval restrike. When I first saw it lying on the table, I thought, "Damn!!! I can't be true!" I initially thought this old woman didn't know what she was selling, and her story was good.
And if she wanted $20 for it, I would have gladly bought it to help her out!!!
Attachments
Ken Lane IC.jpg
Ken Lane Iron Crosses2.jpg

DaveNZ

Re: Ken Lane EK I & II, fake or real?

Post by DaveNZ » 05 May 2015, 05:34

The EK1 looks fake to me

Ruskigeroi

Post by Ruskigeroi » 05 May 2015, 08:40

Thanks Dave. I am NOT surprised.

Z06berlin

Post by Z06berlin » 05 May 2015, 12:39

EKII is a Souval. Jim

Ruskigeroi

Post by Ruskigeroi » 06 May 2015, 01:49

Jim- Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell if it is a Souval? It is unmarked. I read online that he did make EK IIs during the war.
Is this a real one or a postwar restrike?
Thank you all!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 06 May 2015, 10:26

Many reasons to ID this as a postwar Souval EKII, exact same "Core" (date/swas./numbers) and same frame detail as the bad EK 1.... plus EVERYTHING ELSE this guy dealt with was DOG CRAP so it only confirms the guy was a crook and a user... sorry to say but facts are facts... not even the EK 2nd! You must be crushed...

The details of the frame, style and type of numbers (date), cut & height of swastika, core itself, and other differances are all keys... harder to tell without the matching EK 1 to compare... (I wouldn't have been able to see the differance "by eye") but knew the EK 1 was N/Good and saw the match.

I had similiar experiances before realizing as Judge Judy say's "No Good deed goes unpunished!".
John G.

Z06berlin

Post by Z06berlin » 06 May 2015, 13:10

Ruskigeroi wrote:Jim- Pardon my ignorance, but how can you tell if it is a Souval? It is unmarked. I read online that he did make EK IIs during the war.
Is this a real one or a postwar restrike?
Thank you all!
The Souval frame is the easiest to ID as each corner has a claw appearance. Those that are accepted as being war time produced have a dipping "3" in 1939. Here is my EKI to compare against. Jim
1L58 nonmag.jpg
1L58 nonmag.jpg (112.88 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Ruskigeroi

Post by Ruskigeroi » 06 May 2015, 16:11

Right you are!!! Thank you very much!!!

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 06 May 2015, 20:20

Ruskigeroi wrote: how can you tell if it is a Souval? It is unmarked.
If you look at the external corners of the frame they have a unique 'Crows Feet' pattern :milwink:

Ian

Ruskigeroi

Post by Ruskigeroi » 07 May 2015, 05:23

No, I am NOT crushed having dealt with Ken Lane. He was an interesting person. I'm glad I never got into collecting WWII German militaria. It's a minefield out there! Thank you all for the education.

DaveNZ

Post by DaveNZ » 09 May 2015, 02:28

Ruskigeroi wrote:No, I am NOT crushed having dealt with Ken Lane. He was an interesting person. I'm glad I never got into collecting WWII German militaria. It's a minefield out there! Thank you all for the education.

with proper research and the use of knowledgeable folks and their resources, it is a minefield that is alot easier to negotiate in this day and age with use of the internet!

One of the good things about collecting TR awards is that these days if you join a collecting forum there are plenty of people who will help point you towards what is genuine and what isn't before you even make a purchase.

Ruskigeroi

Post by Ruskigeroi » 10 May 2015, 05:57

Thanks Dave, you are absolutely correct!

Return to “Axis Awards”