Japanese medals

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Stefan Andersson

Japanese medals

Post by Stefan Andersson » 21 Apr 2014, 16:37

Sorry, for the bad pictures but I should really appreciate information about these Japanese medals. Any information at all!

/Stefan

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Japanese medals

Post by John G. » 21 Apr 2014, 21:51

:welcome:

Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure 8th Cl. (Cased) - Military and Civilian award for long/loyal service...open to both sexes (but rarely awarded to women). Red/white ribbon device is Japanese, but not for this medal AFAIK. Est. Value $50./75.00 US.

Japanese Order of Rising Sun- 7th Cl. (Green Pawlonia leaves) (Cased)- Military and Civilian awrd for Merit....grade based on rank. Est. value $65./90.00.

Not especially rare as you can see....values might be alittle conservative but these can now be found "all over" eBay at reasonable prices....(for now!) Look like very nice relately early examples from the look....
John G.

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 22 Apr 2014, 01:43

John G. wrote::welcome:

Japanese Order of the Sacred Treasure 8th Cl. (Cased) - Military and Civilian award for long/loyal service...open to both sexes (but rarely awarded to women). Red/white ribbon device is Japanese, but not for this medal AFAIK. Est. Value $50./75.00 US.

Japanese Order of Rising Sun- 7th Cl. (Green Pawlonia leaves) (Cased)- Military and Civilian awrd for Merit....grade based on rank. Est. value $65./90.00.

Not especially rare as you can see....values might be alittle conservative but these can now be found "all over" eBay at reasonable prices....(for now!) Look like very nice relately early examples from the look....
John G.

The device is for the lower medal "Rising Sun 7th class"

Larry

John G.

Post by John G. » 22 Apr 2014, 13:30

Larry,
I should have realized it was in the wrong box... my mistake! Was thinking "Red Cross" (my mistake!)
John G.

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 22 Apr 2014, 13:33

John G. wrote:Larry,
I should have realized it was in the wrong box... my mistake! Was thinking "Red Cross" (my mistake!)
John G.
Hi John

I thought the same at first as well. A little digging showed me the Red Cross devices are shaped in a cross. Was not aware of that.

Sincerely
Larry

Stefan Andersson

Post by Stefan Andersson » 04 May 2014, 13:02

Sorry for not coming back earlier. Computer problems stinks!
Anyway, I am very grateful for the information on these two medals. Thank you very much!
This paper followed the two medals. The same person got them.

/Stefan

John G.

Post by John G. » 04 May 2014, 23:45

Not the normal "award certificate" for either of these Medals as far as I know... but beyond my ability to read the "kanji"..... you might want to post this as a "new" seperate question (thread)..... and ask directly for a translation of a Japanese document.... here or whereever a translator can be found..... let us know (if it isn;t here...) what it says....
John G.

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 06 May 2014, 13:14

Hello

I took your photo over to GMIC, between Nick (JapanX) and Fukuoka I have:

"this doc was issued on September 22, 1944."

"Award for 6th Class Golden Kite, 7th Class Rising Sun, and cash award of 2100 yen. Navy sailor Petty Officer 2nd Class Maruyama [??].
The cash award is high, so probably a posthumous award."

Hope this helps some

Larry

Stefan Andersson

Post by Stefan Andersson » 06 May 2014, 22:15

Larry and John G, thank you very, very much for your help.
I really appreciate it!
The guy who got these awards was named Maruyama Yasuo.
He was on a destroyer named Asanagi which sank in combat May 22, 1944, torpedoed
by the United States Navy submarine USS Pollack.
Laurence Strong wrote:The cash award is high, so probably a posthumous award."
You are right!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Ray Ban

Post by Ray Ban » 03 Oct 2014, 03:42

The medals themselves are not WW2 era, but probably issued directly after the war. The Rising Sun medal would have green enamel on the back - the case for the Sacred Treasure looks like the after war case by looking at the hinge area - that case likely does not have a latch either.

Return to “Axis Awards”