Finishing a Pacific Campaign Project

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Gregory314

Finishing a Pacific Campaign Project

Post by Gregory314 » 01 Sep 2015, 02:31

I recently came across a Japanese sword hanger at a unbelievable price. I was wondering if anyone can point me in a good direction to finish my project. I am missing 2 pieces. 1st, the scabbard end assembly that the release pin of the sword would secure two. Second, the belt that would attach the hanger.
This is the first hanger I cam across that looked period correct. I guess I am looking for some info on where to begin and if the sword scabbard is particular to a branch where I can begin my search to find a belt.
Attachments
Sword1.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Finishing a Pacific Campaign Project

Post by John G. » 01 Sep 2015, 12:45

Usually the combat/field hanger for a Japanese Officers Katana would be a braided leather or linked chain/ring type, the hanger you have pictured is from a "Parade/Dress" sword belt rig... and wouldn't "normally" be worn in the Pacific Campaign as such.

This could be worn from either a regular officers (sometimes EM/NCO type) leather or ersatz sword belt, or the wider Belly-band sword belt (most widely worn when in "official field officers kit"..... original Officers belt rigs are very scarce.

The Tsuba (Guard) on your sword looks somewhat questionable from the photo.... you need to take some good pictures to be sure it's not one of the Chinese copies... some of which are pretty convincing.

There are no distinctions on Japanese Army swords for branch and only the knot would show "rank class" (Company/Field/Generals) for officer.
John G.

Gregory314

Post by Gregory314 » 02 Sep 2015, 00:55

Got ya. Is there any chance that a sword like this would at one time be hung from a leather, parade style rig? For me, that would be close enough to continue my search; even thought the front lines variant would be better! That may take me some time to locate. I recently searched for photos on line to see examples of the belt on a soldier and how the belt was worn, but had no success. I plan on trying to locate some reference to Japanese uniforms and equipment this evening. Any help would be great.
I am pretty positive this is not a Chinese copy. I purchased the sword from a vet's grandson. He said they used to play with it when they were kids. Also, the vets name and address are written on the leather scabbard. I assume that is how he had it shipped home. Below are close ups of the Tsuba and catch

Also, if anyone knows where to find the metal top piece to the scabbard, I would be VERY happy. I have been looking for some time with no success

Oh...and sorry I posted this in the medal section of the forum....probably should have looked through the topics

Gregory314

Post by Gregory314 » 02 Sep 2015, 01:04

Pic 1
Attachments
Sword 2.jpg

Gregory314

Post by Gregory314 » 02 Sep 2015, 01:09

Pic 2
Attachments
sword 3.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 02 Sep 2015, 10:29

Tsuba looks fine.... as does the sword, seeing the better pictures. Most wartime swords lack the scabbard throat and "locking system" but retain the push button... especially on this type leather covered sheath.... so yours is probably "as found".

There are Japanese related sites... don't know any off the top of my head, but try "Japanese Military Forum"/"Japanese WW 2 Forum"/"Japanese Army Officer Uniforms & equipment" etc., etc. and you should find something.

The leather dress hanger would not be worn with a field belt rig... but "for display purposes" certainly works.... WW 2 E-Bay sells all sorts of hangers and knots (and belt rigs)..both real and reproduction (Militaria section/Japanese WW 2).
John G.

Return to “Axis Awards”