Demjansk Shield and 1923 General Gau Badge Assessment

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Herr Rafuse

Demjansk Shield and 1923 General Gau Badge Assessment

Post by Herr Rafuse » 06 Oct 2015, 01:17

Fellow is looking to sell a Demjansk Shield and a General Gau Badge of the 1923 variety. I did a fair amount of researching on these items although there isn't nearly as much info as Iron Crosses or more common badges IAB, etc..... The Demjansk Shield has a good looking "J" as that was often an indicator for a fake vs genuine medal, but it's obviously had some unfortunate encounter in its past. The 1923 Gau Badge looks alright but the "1923" digits are not nearly as blocky or contain 90 degree angles as genuine ones I've seen for sale. Anyways wondering what people think ?? Thanks
General Gau Badge - Front -.JPG
General Gau Badge - Back.JPG
Demjanks-Front.JPG
Demjansk - Back.JPG

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Demjansk Shield and 1923 General Gau Badge Assessment

Post by John G. » 07 Oct 2015, 00:45

The 1923 Gau badge is a reproduction.... quality and many details vary from originals, but the "Ges. Gesch" markings are completely hoakey.... The Damjansk Shield is a harder call... but small details of most of the lettering (of "Demjansk"-) and the "log butt ends" of the bunkers are unlike any of the supposed known original examples of this shield I have referenced- plus it just doesn't "look" right.... so IMO this too, is a bad one.

The Gau badge I'm 100% sure of.... the Demjansk I'm 90% sure about, but it could be a variant unknown to me? I still wouldn't want it based on what I'm seeing...

Hope this helps...
John G.

Herr Rafuse

Re: Demjansk Shield and 1923 General Gau Badge Assessment

Post by Herr Rafuse » 07 Oct 2015, 04:59

Awesome ! Thanks a lot John

Dan

Return to “Axis Awards”