Question: NSDAP No. 4802 Eisfeld

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
unfredd

Question: NSDAP No. 4802 Eisfeld

Post by unfredd » 01 Apr 2016, 15:14

[img]
Eiswald NPB.jpg
Eiswald NPB.jpg (92.73 KiB) Viewed 731 times
[/img]
This badge was brought back from WW2 by my Dad (3rd Armored Division). With help, I've learned that it was awarded to Walter Eisfeld, SS Commandant at Neuengamme. Question: I've not seen other similar badges with the chain attached. Was the purpose of the chain and clasp to attach to another ribbon or medal?

freddiefro

Re: Question: NSDAP No. 4802 Eisfeld

Post by freddiefro » 05 Apr 2016, 16:00

This appears to be the smaller (25mm) version of the badge. Eisfeld died 3.Apr.1940…could a widow perhaps adorn and wear the badge as a "keepsake" of her husband? I found nothing in Angolia or the "Organisationsbuch der NSDAP" to say one way or another. Opinions, please!

Fred
Last edited by freddiefro on 05 Apr 2016, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 05 Apr 2016, 17:25

freddiefro wrote:This appears to be the smaller (25mm) version of the badge. Eisfeld died 3.Apr.1940…could a widow perhaps adorn and wear the badge as a "keepsake" of her husband? I found nothing in Angola or the "Organisationsbuch der NSDAP" to say one way or another. Opinions, please!

Fred
Probably Not possible.... if she was a Golden Party Badge recip. she'd have her own, and if not.... she would be in SERIOUS trouble if she wore a GPB, someone else's or not ... you were supposed to have your "award booklet" on you to verify ID and numbers, etc.,.... don't really know how strict they were but no one would have chanced it I'm sure.

The smaller badge is simply the "Civilian Clothes" version .... they were notorious for coming "un-fastened" so Eisfeld simply had a safety chain added... not that unusual. Very nice IDed GPB, by the way!
John G.

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 05 Apr 2016, 17:35

As always, thank you John!

Fred

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 06 Apr 2016, 02:21

John G. wrote:
freddiefro wrote:This appears to be the smaller (25mm) version of the badge. Eisfeld died 3.Apr.1940…could a widow perhaps adorn and wear the badge as a "keepsake" of her husband? I found nothing in Angola or the "Organisationsbuch der NSDAP" to say one way or another. Opinions, please!

Fred
Probably Not possible.... if she was a Golden Party Badge recip. she'd have her own, and if not.... she would be in SERIOUS trouble if she wore a GPB, someone else's or not ... you were supposed to have your "award booklet" on you to verify ID and numbers, etc.,.... don't really know how strict they were but no one would have chanced it I'm sure.

The smaller badge is simply the "Civilian Clothes" version .... they were notorious for coming "un-fastened" so Eisfeld simply had a safety chain added... not that unusual. Very nice IDed GPB, by the way!
John G.
Greetings:

I was curious if (in general) the chain may have also been used to hold other insignias? Similar to what is being worn on the lapel of the man standing behind Hitler in the photo below?

Source: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... start=2025

Interesting that there was a smaller version of the GPB for civilian clothes and that a safety chain is not that unusual. Good to know if I ever run into one of these. Thanks for the information!

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 07 Apr 2016, 13:20

The lapel chain (in the photo) is for/of mini-medals & awards- much different and 'heavier" that the "safety chain" on the GPB.... you wouldn't attach awards to the GPB- just wouldn't be allowed I'm assuming. The safety chain isn't common... but certainly known, it's a jeweler's add-on (and easily lost or removed, depending on how it's attached).

John G.

Sejanus

Post by Sejanus » 12 Apr 2016, 04:58

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information, John.

Return to “Axis Awards”