Is this real?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Der Kuenstler

Is this real?

Post by Der Kuenstler » 06 Jun 2016, 07:07

Hello all - I purchased this pin at a local flea market last weekend and was wondering if it was real - I kind of doubt it because it didn't cost that much but just making sure!

[URL=http://s217.photobucket.com/user/k ... .jpg[/img][/url]

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Is this real?

Post by John G. » 06 Jun 2016, 12:32

Probably a poorly executed original mini- "civilian-wear" lapel pin.... it would help to have a scale/size to judge by! Certainly not an official award... but mini's are often quite crude. This would be for civilian use.... whether it's original or not is difficult to say.... pin and base plate look period, finish looks pretty vintage... if I picked it up, I'd add it to my "lapel pin/Stick pin" collection- until proven otherwise.

If it's "full size", then it's crap!
John G.

Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler » 06 Jun 2016, 17:33

Interesting....It is 44 mm wide an 30 mm tall, if that helps...

stewy

Post by stewy » 06 Jun 2016, 18:04

Hi there, for me it's a total fake. Eagles head, wings, Swaz & date box are all of poor quality. Sorry, Stewy.

John G.

Post by John G. » 08 Jun 2016, 18:50

That's "full size" so it's a crappy fake- wrong pin and poorly done detail... sorry, but looked convincing as a miniture that's why a size scale is necessary when asking opinions....
John G.

rudel

Post by rudel » 09 Jun 2016, 14:53

John, no intention to be rude, but I think you need to reconsider your perception about German miniatures in general. Mind you, the enclosed piece is 8.93x12.75mm!

cheers
Peter
Attachments
ldo 44954.jpg

John G.

Post by John G. » 10 Jun 2016, 13:11

rudel wrote:John, no intention to be rude, but I think you need to reconsider your perception about German miniatures in general. Mind you, the enclosed piece is 8.93x12.75mm!

cheers
Peter
No "offense" taken.... In my experience, miniatures can vary greatly in quality and detail.... depending on maker and time period... and sometime size. That's why I stress the use of a scale when people post an item for identification...

Your example is certainly a fine example of a stickpin version.... no question about it!
John G.

rudel

Post by rudel » 13 Jun 2016, 10:55

Thanks John. I realize we all have different opinions and that's fine with me, without them we wouldn't have a discussion forum :wink: I'd like to emphasize the following though:

"miniatures can vary greatly in quality and detail.... depending on maker and time period... and sometime size."
Firstly the details and quality were no different throughout the war, the early tombac pieces looked nicer and the later zinc pieces usually lost their colour (gilding/silver or whatever), but the ratio was always the same i.e. the same relative size as their full size brothers. The usual sizes for Orders or war badges/medals were generally 9 or 16mm, but also various sizes within this span. All pieces in larger sizes should be viewed with outmost suspicion.

The piece that started this thread doesn't stand a chance of being an original miniature IMO, due to the inferior details and safetypin. EK-clasps were produced for ribbon bars or ribbon rosettes with two centered prongs. There are 9mm EK1 clasps on the market, which look extremely plausible, still I haven't really figured out the reason for their existence, nor have I ever seen one on a ribbon bar.

This extensive response might seem a bit pretentious, but I believe we should address the miniatures with the same scrutiny as we do with the rest of our collectables.

respectfully
Peter
Attachments
ldo 44956.jpg

Return to “Axis Awards”