War Merit Cross - Authentic?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
travis1945

War Merit Cross - Authentic?

Post by travis1945 » 05 Aug 2016, 20:29

I bought this War Merit Cross from a friend at a gun show who deals WW2 militaria, some reproduction, mostly authentic. I've been having a difficult time finding research on determining authenticity of this medal so I've included some pictures to get your opinion on if this is legitimate.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks.

stewy

Re: War Merit Cross - Authentic?

Post by stewy » 06 Aug 2016, 17:27

Looks okay to me, can't tell you the maker though. Stewy

travis1945

Post by travis1945 » 06 Aug 2016, 21:02

Thanks. Overall it's in pretty good shape, but I know reproductions are getting hard to tell from the original stuff nowadays. My friend who I purchased it from assured me it was original, but reproductions sometimes fool even the most veteran collectors.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 08 Aug 2016, 01:36

Travis,
The Cross itself is original, but the small ring on the top (for the larger ring that the ribbon mounts in) "appears" to be a repaired replacement- looks bright metal, not bronze, and I think I see soder residue/file marks. You should be able to tell for sure with a magnifying glass. The small ring should be the same finish as the cross. Not a big deal, this is the weakest "point" on these... but would effect it's value.

A complete KVK 2nd cl. w/swords is a very common medal.... a complete with ribbon example can be bought for $25./35. retail. This one, even if not repaired, without the ribbon and ring, would be only worth $10. or $15.00 tops.... hope you didn't over pay.
John G.

travis1945

Post by travis1945 » 08 Aug 2016, 10:32

Interesting. Thanks for the useful info! Now I'm even more thankful I didn't overpay too much. I know the guy fairly well, and he is a native German so speaking to him in his native language no doubt helped. He assured me the medal was real, and I paid $15 for it if I remember correctly. Again, thanks for the info!

William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

Post by William Kramer » 13 Aug 2016, 02:52

a perfectly good original cross produced in tombak, which is far more scarce than it's zinc counterpart.

William Kramer

Return to “Axis Awards”