Officer's awards

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
at6

Officer's awards

Post by at6 » 23 Aug 2016, 04:52

hello all. A good friend has given me his grandfather's Panzer wrap. The tailor marks inside identify his unit. I have checked the National Archives in Maryland to try and locate the man's service record; no luck. I think my friend is hesitant to seek information from the German government. Any tips how I can identify which awards the officer had earned? I would like to complete the uniform. Many thanks!

VtwinVince

Re: Officer's awards

Post by VtwinVince » 24 Aug 2016, 04:27

Please post photos of the uniform, should be possible if it has award loops.

at6

Post by at6 » 30 Aug 2016, 01:03

hi. have tried to upload the foto but no luck; tried resizing it but then it loses the details of the award loops.

here is a description of the loops: if wearing the jacket, the left pocket has loops on the left of the pocket pleat", on the "pleat" of the pocket itself, and loops to the right of the pleat. The "pleat" loops are slightly higher than the loops to the left and right.

A Sports Badge is below the left pocket

The jacket's buttonhole has an EK ribbon in it.

Sorry I cannot attach the photo. I have a number of items to share but this is very frustrating.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 30 Aug 2016, 13:09

I'd assume an Iron Cross 1st cl. (center pocket), Panzer Assault badge (wearers right loops), & probably a Wound Badge in the other set (wearers left)... others could be possible, but with the EK 2nd ribbon and already having a "sports" award... this is (IMHO) the most likely awards.

What's his unit and rank?
John G.

at6

Post by at6 » 31 Aug 2016, 23:41

Thank you, John. to answer your question, he was a Hauptmann in the 11. Panzer-Division.

The Wrap is missing one collar skull and one interior "bakelite" (?) button. Very nice shape overall.

Would really like to get a peak at his records but without the family's assistance not sure if that is possible.

Return to “Axis Awards”