Authentic WW1 Iron Cross Or Not?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Deutsch-Bär

Authentic WW1 Iron Cross Or Not?

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 24 Oct 2016, 00:31

Hello everyone, I have another medal to share..
I'm really curious if this one is authentic because it really seems as if it is, so if you can help me authenticate it - that'd be much appreciated as usual. A few things that I want to point out is; the sides of the medal does seem like it is indeed a 3 piece construction, the iron cross is indeed magnetic, and the ribbon doesn't seem to be artificially aged due to the texture and the sharp smell that it carries.

^Front^

^Back^

^Side^

^Ribbon and Loop^

Thank you for taking the time to contribute, if you happen to do so.
- Rus
~Rus

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Authentic WW1 Iron Cross Or Not?

Post by John G. » 24 Oct 2016, 13:20

Original 1914 Iron Cross 2nd cl., ribbon might be a replacement and the iron core might be "touched up" or cleaned improperly from the pictures... but real.
John G.

Deutsch-Bär

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 25 Oct 2016, 01:46

John G. wrote:Original 1914 Iron Cross 2nd cl., ribbon might be a replacement and the iron core might be "touched up" or cleaned improperly from the pictures... but real.
John G.
Awesome! Thank you so much, John, I was really hoping that it was real. I ended up trading that fake Knight's Cross/First Class w/ OL (WW2) hybrid looking medal for it as well as 100 USD. (I did indeed tell the guy that the medal was a reproduction, although, he seemed to already know his stuff.)
Rus
~Rus

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 25 Oct 2016, 21:31

The Knights Cross w/OL medal EK 2d was junk and valueless- of no matter!.... the 1914 EK 2nd cl.is worth about $60./75.00 US (low side IMO) so you paid plenty for it. Don't jump so quickly.... you need more experience & knowledge, based on the purchases & questions you've posed, before jumping.... any money spent on reproductions is wasted IMHO.... but that's up to you.
John G.

Deutsch-Bär

Post by Deutsch-Bär » 28 Oct 2016, 04:01

John G. wrote:The Knights Cross w/OL medal EK 2d was junk and valueless- of no matter!.... the 1914 EK 2nd cl.is worth about $60./75.00 US (low side IMO) so you paid plenty for it. Don't jump so quickly.... you need more experience & knowledge, based on the purchases & questions you've posed, before jumping.... any money spent on reproductions is wasted IMHO.... but that's up to you.
John G.
You're definitely right, John. My only issue is that I'm limited to where I can purchase these items, local gun shows to be exact. The men at these gun shows are awfully stingy, sometimes unreliable, and very reluctant to change their prices. Oh, and I forget to mention very sensitive about their items on their table. An example would be when I tried to buy a little bit of ribbon from a WW2 EK2 and when the vendor told me he wanted $55 for it I remarked, "Quite a bit, perhaps you can go quite a bit lower," to which he said, "Well, if you don't like it then you can go the hell away." So trying to find a quality price with my states quality people isn't the easiest.. I know it would be a pain in the ass, but someone like you who has experience with all this stuff should post a price guide that would show common price ranges for 2016 or so. Anyways, thanks for the advice and the contribution!
~Rus

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 30 Oct 2016, 21:29

With respect I pointed you to the WAF Estand which is a good and reasonably reliable place to buy awards at Collector-collector prices ..... that cross is a €60 piece, no more unless it's a rare maker/style and for that you need to be an advanced collector to comprehend the difference.

Buy books and study those and the forums until you can 'feel' these things.

John is also correct that the ribbon looks to be a fake.

Ian.

Return to “Axis Awards”