SS Long Service Awards

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Phil Nix
In memoriam

SS Long Service Awards

Post by Phil Nix » 21 May 2003, 11:59

This may have been answered before however can anyone advise regarding the criteria for this award. I thiunk it was only given to Waffen SS members. Other SS members got the Party Long Service award instead
Tks Philmil

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 05 Jun 2003, 21:58

Phil

Have seem Himmler photos with him wearing it on his medal bar. Like numbered combat badges, seems a large number who qualified for the award never actually got it. Most personnel files I've seen list 4 and 8 year medal, can't recall any WSS officer in my research areas documented as having the 12 or 25 (though sure some did). Many don't show the award of the 4 or 8.

Mark

Steve_T

Post by Steve_T » 06 Jun 2003, 13:48

Phil,

Just pasting some text from my site:

"The SS Dienstauszeichnung (Long Service Honor Award) was instituted on 30 January 1938. On the same day also the statute of the SS service honor was issued, and the text published on Pages 66-67 of the Reichsblatt Part 1 of No 8, published Berlin, 30 January 1938.

The award is an acknowledgment for faithful and true services of SS members in the SS-Verfügungstruppen, SS-Totenkopfverbänden und SS-Junkerschulen. (Other SS personel were eligible to recieve the NSDAP Long Service awards.)

The four classes of awards were designed by Professor Karl Diebitsch of Munich.

The grades are awarded to the respective ranks as follows:

1st Class (Gold) for 25 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
2nd Class (Silver) for 12 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
3rd Class (Bronze) for 8 years true service awards to eligable Officers, NCO's and Men
4th Class (Black) for 4 yrs true service for eligable NCO's and Men.

Honourable service time from 1925 counted towards this award. I'm not sure of the date but the award was suspended during the war period, probably during 1941.

The 'Kampfzeit' period 1925 to 1933 and active military service counted as double, hence it was possible to accumulate enough eligible service years to recieve the 25 Year Long Service award in the 12 year period.

References:
1. 'Zur Geschichte der SS Dienstauzeichnung' von Dr. K-G Klietmann, Orden & Militaria Journal, März 1977.
2. "SS-Dienstauszeichnungen" von Gerhard Rudloff, Orden & Militaria Journal, März 1977.
3. "Political and Civil Awards of the Third Reich" by LTC Ret. John R. Angolia, 1978. "

balloonist

Re: SS Long Service Awards

Post by balloonist » 20 Sep 2015, 06:53

50 year collector ready to share. I do have 10, 15 and 25 year awards for NSDAP. 25 year in box. Any interest let me know. I have had these awards for 45 years.

Return to “Axis Awards”