WHAT BADGE IS THIS ?

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Paul W. Bell

Fantasy Badge

Post by Paul W. Bell » 29 Jan 2004, 20:45

Hi all,
Thought i could throw some light on the badge on the left, it is pure fantasy, maybe to fool someone in to thinking its an ss piece?
Anyway the skull and crossbones is military, its part of the cap badge of the British 17th Lancers (now Queens Royal Lancers) who took part in the charge of the light brigade during the crimean war.
Have included Picture of the Death or Glory Badge.
Best wishes Paul.
Attachments
17th[1].gif
Death or Glory
17th[1].gif (3.02 KiB) Viewed 634 times

Paul W. Bell

Another Pic

Post by Paul W. Bell » 29 Jan 2004, 20:51

Found an original badge pic, i presume the guys who make these fake badges cut up these skullls, add the swastika, and hey presto! a "Rare" third reich ss badge.... :roll:
Attachments
1721lanc[1].jpg
1721lanc[1].jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 630 times

vogelbird

skull fantasy badge

Post by vogelbird » 30 Jan 2004, 00:42

Hi Paul W Bell,
As soon as I saw the fantasy piece I recognized the skull and cross bones as being based on the 17th Lancers, and as you, realized that all the manufacturers had done was add the wreath and swastika to give it a "nazi" appearance.It would only fool a real novice or someone without any historical knowledge.
Vogelbird

Paul W. Bell

Lancers

Post by Paul W. Bell » 30 Jan 2004, 11:07

Hi Vogelbird,
Yes its a poor fantasy piece anyway you look at it, but i thought i would point out to none U.K. members, what these people have used to make this badge up, after all i am no expert on say swedish regiments, so now they can compare these badges.
Glad you reconised it as well though!

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 09 Feb 2004, 20:43

Hmmm, I was sure it was a fake but not so now.... what about this picture that has just surfaced in the Uniforms thread?

frontkjemper says this photo is of Hungarian (arrow cross) death squad.

EER

Post by EER » 10 Feb 2004, 00:36

I'm curious about the insignia on that uniform too. He appears to be wearing a Totenkopf on his cap - but I can't make out what the award on his chest is.

Dan E. Moe

Post by Dan E. Moe » 08 Jul 2004, 14:05

I am also trying to find out what kind of unit and which insigna they used. But it seems nobody know?

Regards,
Dan

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 11 Jul 2004, 01:57

The deathshead badge is indeed Hungarian. The death squads of the Arrow Cross movement who rounded up Hungary's Jews for deportation to the death camps wore this badge, a deathshead with crossed daggers. They also had an armband with this motif. This man is wearing the shoulder boards of an SS-Untersturmführer along with what appears to be an Other Ranks' Waffen-SS sidehat with BeVo insignia. He wears an SS Other Ranks-pattern belt buckle and what appears to be a Hungarian-issue pistol holster.

His blank collar patches are clearly officer's grade with silver/aluminium piping. The lack of officer's pips on the righthand collar patch suggest either that he has just been issued with this uniform and hasn't yet attached the pips denoting his rank or that he is attached to the SS or, perhaps, the SD and doesn't hold an SS rank as such but is entitled to officer's privileges, rather like the Sonderführer rank in the Wehrmacht. He is probably a Hungarian Army (Honved) and Arrow Cross officer attached to the SD.

Interesting photo.

PK

Return to “Axis Awards”