Gau Award for Gau Düsseldorf

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Phil Nix
In memoriam

Gau Award for Gau Düsseldorf

Post by Phil Nix » 17 Jan 2006, 15:20

Was there a seperate honour award for Gau Düsseldorf or did tyhey use the Common Gau badge ?
Phil Nix

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 17 Jan 2006, 16:20

I guess that Gau Düsseldorf, formed in 1929 would have fallen in with the "normal" Gau badge with the 1925 in it, but I am not sure. I don't believe they had there own as I cannot find it in my Gau Badge research. Was it formed to create a split of a larger area?
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 19 Jan 2006, 12:57

Matt Gibbs wrote:I guess that Gau Dusseldorf, formed in 1929 would have fallen in with the "normal" Gau badge with the 1925 in it, but I am not sure. I don't believe they had there own as I cannot find it in my Gau Badge research. Was it formed to create a split of a larger area?
Regards
Matt Gibbs
Hi Matt
It was formed from independant bezirk Bergischland-Niederrhein on 1.8.1930
Phil Nix

Raz

Post by Raz » 20 Jan 2006, 07:53

I would agree with Matt, I've never heard of any specific Gau badge created for Gau Düsseldorf
so would expect them to use the comon gau badge.

JoeW

Re: Gau Award for Gau Düsseldorf

Post by JoeW » 14 Jul 2011, 04:50

I would like to resurrect this thread if anyone would care to join the discussion. I have come across and SS officer file of an Alte Garde PG who is listed as receiving the Ehrenzeichen of Gau Düsseldorf. The various listings in the Organisationsbuchs of Gaues issuing the common Gau Badges dated 1923 and 1925 do not include Gau Düsseldorf. Has anyone found any further references to a Gau Düsseldorf Ehrenzeichen?

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 04 Aug 2011, 01:11

Since Gauleiter of Dusseldorf, Friedrich Karl Florian was photographed wearing the normal 1925 badge, and I would have expected if anyone then he would have had any "special" issue, it was the 1925 badge that was bestowed on those long serving Gau members.
Attachments
Gauleiter Florian.jpg

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 04 Aug 2011, 06:10

Thank you for providing the stunning photograph Matt. It seems quite conclusive that Florian wore the common Gau badge. But how to reconcile the lack of listing of Gau Düsseldorf among those Gaues listed in the Org Books and Doehle as using the common Gau badge, as well as a period listing of an Ehrenzeichen of Gau Düsseldorf? How was the common Gau badge termed? Was it the Ehrenzeichen of each of the particular Gaues listed?

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 04 Aug 2011, 13:19

You pose an interesting question Joe, but I am afraid I don't know the answer. I can only guess that a person recieving the Honour Badge of his or her Gau, might have it written into their record by a clerk as either just Gau Honour Badge, or Gau Honor Badge for Gau XYZ. Clerks completing masses of paperwork might do it either way. If there IS a specific honour badge for the Gau, the other question is how has it remained hidden in both photographs and the personnel files of the higher Gau leaders for so long. It would appear your paperwork reference is the first? If so it could even be the SS man himself who has written it on his personnel questionaire to make himself seem more important. Can you scan the document you refer to? I hope another of the high award folks sees this :)
Regards and best wishes
Matt

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 04 Aug 2011, 15:08

While reading your post Matt, I realized I had the answer to my question at hand. I don't believe anyone has ever thought about the title of the 1923/1925 Common Gau badges. I had a small Ausweis in my collection with its owners GPB Ausweis. The Ausweis is for the Ehrenzeichens der Gauleitung Sachsen. That is the "common Gau badge". Bingo! That would explain the entry of the Ehrenzeichen of Gau Düsseldorf (and Florian wearing it). The common Gau badge was titled the Ehrenzeichen of each Gau awarding it. Here is the Ausweis for your information.

I believe the SS file cards are completed by men of the SS Personal Amt? Or am I mistaken?
Attachments
1923_1925 Gau Ehrenzeichen Ausweis2.jpg

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 04 Aug 2011, 19:15

Hi Joe, thats a great item, and certainly presents the answer nicely :) Great stuff, and the simple answers usually are the right ones!

der-hase-fee

Post by der-hase-fee » 09 Mar 2014, 22:10

JoeW wrote:I would like to resurrect this thread if anyone would care to join the discussion. I have come across and SS officer file of an Alte Garde PG who is listed as receiving the Ehrenzeichen of Gau Düsseldorf. The various listings in the Organisationsbuchs of Gaues issuing the common Gau Badges dated 1923 and 1925 do not include Gau Düsseldorf. Has anyone found any further references to a Gau Düsseldorf Ehrenzeichen?
That would be this one, Joe. But it is a non-portable plaque.

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 10 Mar 2014, 13:41

A wonderful pieces, thanks for sharing. Here is another canunderem.

Two completely different Day Badges and the Honour Plaque.
Attachments
Eagle Shield - reverse 11652.jpg
Eagle Shield - reverse 11651.jpg
Eagle Shield - reverse 11650.jpg
Eagle Shield - reverse 11649.jpg

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 10 Mar 2014, 21:55

der-hase-fee wrote:
JoeW wrote:I would like to resurrect this thread if anyone would care to join the discussion. I have come across and SS officer file of an Alte Garde PG who is listed as receiving the Ehrenzeichen of Gau Düsseldorf. The various listings in the Organisationsbuchs of Gaues issuing the common Gau Badges dated 1923 and 1925 do not include Gau Düsseldorf. Has anyone found any further references to a Gau Düsseldorf Ehrenzeichen?
That would be this one, Joe. But it is a non-portable plaque.

I think the Ehrenzeichen still remains undiscovered Andreas. I see no mention of Gau Ehrenzeichen in either the medal or the Ehren-Urkunde.

Return to “Axis Awards”