What exactly is this?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Wilhelm Stulenger

What exactly is this?

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 01 Jun 2007, 00:40

I recently purchased this, and was told it was an original container for Waffen-SS Frostbight salve. I don't think it's original, and luckily I paid very little for it. I'm not even sure the dealer knew what it was, so I don't either. The tin doesn't open - which makes me question it's authenticity. It is approximately 3 inches in diameter. What exactly is it? Is it original? Can anybofy translate the enscription for me?

Thanks
Wilhelm

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 01 Jun 2007, 07:41

Hi
Looks ok to me. Frostbeule Behälter, in english Chilblain frostbite ointment container. Frostschutzsalbe Wehrkreissanitätspark VI Osnabrück SS-Packung - Chilblain Ointment Military Area Medical Depot VI Osnabrück SS-Packaging.
Even Scho-Ka-Kola doses have become expensive, atleast over here, so if you got this cheap, you're lucky :wink:

Regards

Wilhelm Stulenger

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 01 Jun 2007, 12:01

Thanks, Toivo!

I was questioning its authenticity, but now I just have another little peice of history! :D

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 01 Jun 2007, 20:03

These are widely regarded by collectors as fakes made in Eastern Europe. They appeared a few years ago in a large and small version. I do not believe these to be original wartime items. At first, these were all sold by IMA. I have one and bought it as a fake. I am not aware of any evidence that these were wartime produced.

Wilhelm Stulenger

Post by Wilhelm Stulenger » 01 Jun 2007, 23:59

Thanks for the info, cpittman! :)

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 04 Jun 2007, 12:21

Never found one over here and I wouldn't buy such items myself but if it has been discussed as a fake then I guess it would be better to stay away from such offer in the future. :S Though, I've seen both small and big in one really big SS collection (not saying I could verify everything there was 100% original). Haven't seen them in anyone's else collection though.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 05 Jun 2007, 02:43

If this means anything to all of us that are ''in-the -know''.
Manions Auction House always have several of these, and the ones in alum tubes, ""every week!!!! :P :P , along with''''butter dishes, toothpaste... Wehrmacht soap,trench candles, etc... what a bunch of malarky!!!

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”