Engagements near St. Johann, Wolfsheim, Wolfershausen, 1945

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Mitchell

Engagements near St. Johann, Wolfsheim, Wolfershausen, 1945

Post by Mitchell » 10 Aug 2007, 20:53

Hello,

I am researching the US 8th Tank Battalion, 4th Armored Division, particularly during the Rhineland Campaign of 1945.

I am very interested in the engagements near Sprendlingen, St. Johann, and Wolfsheim, on March 18, 1945. C Company, 8th Tank Bn. lost about half their numbers during this action. C Company was most probably engaged by 88mm guns which were concealed near a hill between the towns of Sprendlingen and St. Johann.

I am also looking for information on action near Wolfershausen, on the Werra River, on March 31, 1945. I do not know if there was a significant engagement here, however, my uncle, who was a bow gunner in C Company, was severely wounded near Wolfershausen. It is quite possible that his tank fell victim to a panzerfaust.

I am quite interested in the German units that were operating in this area. Who were they, how were they equipped, what happend to them? I most certainly do not want my research to be one-sided.

If anyone can help me out., or direct me to further information, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

James

Der Kohlenklau

Post by Der Kohlenklau » 13 Aug 2007, 11:28

After a quick research i only can say that the German units at Wölfershausen were from the 11. Panzerdivision and the 159. Infanteriedivison.

DK

Mitchell

Post by Mitchell » 13 Aug 2007, 20:59

Thanks DK,

Were defenses put up by 11. Panzerdivision and 159. Infanteriedivision, at this time, organized actions? It seems in some sources that I have read that these might be considered small unit actions. Am I mistaken?

James

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”