SS White M32

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Wilibald

SS White M32

Post by Wilibald » 26 Mar 2007, 00:40

Hi,

I am really interested to get more info about the pre-war SS white ''Summer'' tunic ( based on the black M32).

It is a subject hardly covered by most books I've read on SS uniforms. I still wonder if it was made from wool OR some type of cotton, or if it even existed in BOTH material. I've seen repros in both material and I really wonder who's right and who's wrong. As far as I know, apart from East German conversions, the only source for the white M32 repros is HK stuff, and we all know that that stuff is usually terribly off...

It would be interesting to discuss the subject in depth and I would really appreciate any clues on the piece of uniform and / or pix of actual white SS bluse, both on period pix and from collections out there.

Thanks for your help :)

Wilibald

egon

Re: SS White M32

Post by egon » 26 Mar 2007, 08:44

Wilibald wrote:Hi,

I am really interested to get more info about the pre-war SS white ''Summer'' tunic ( based on the black M32).

It is a subject hardly covered by most books I've read on SS uniforms. I still wonder if it was made from wool OR some type of cotton, or if it even existed in BOTH material. I've seen repros in both material and I really wonder who's right and who's wrong. As far as I know, apart from East German conversions, the only source for the white M32 repros is HK stuff, and we all know that that stuff is usually terribly off...

It would be interesting to discuss the subject in depth and I would really appreciate any clues on the piece of uniform and / or pix of actual white SS bluse, both on period pix and from collections out there.

Thanks for your help :)

Wilibald
Wilibald
If it was assigned a "collector's" designation, it would be the "M39 SS-weisser Rock", but as you say, based upon the M32 SS-dienstbluse. The "correct" material it was made from varies. Officially there is only 1x "authentic" type, made from white linen. However, in practice, possibly the majority were made from other types of cotton, other than the standard issue linen, and even wool fabrics.

The SS-weisser Rock had a very short "official" life, compared to it's Heer counterpart, which served throughout the War, in a variety of roles, and dress forms. The SS version had only one role, and was discontinued in 1940. It was thereafter actually against regulations to wear. However officers, notably the higher ranks, who could expect to flaunt Himmler's regulations with impunity, continued to wear the regulation issue linen 1939 jacket. Some, who became officers after 1940, wished to emulate the "old hands", and had private purchase SS-weisser Rocks made up. These were tailored from a variety of materials, and were sometimes different in detail to the regulation 1939 pattern. It is likely that comparitively few original 1939-1940 "official" SS-weisser Rocks remain today. The majority being the 1940-1945 private purchase variants.

Wilibald

Post by Wilibald » 27 Mar 2007, 17:31

Danke vielen Egon!

I must admit that even though I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about SS uniforms, the SS-Weisser Rock (thanks for the correct terminology) always puzzled me quite a bit...

Now your much appreciated reply brings some additional questions...*lol*

I was initially under the impression that the weisser rock was a Summer variant of the A-SS rock, which could have been used throughout the late 30s... I have seen many pictures of SA officers\leaders wearing a white tunic, and I assumed the pre-war SS had an equivalent, However, if the SS Weisser rock was so short-illed (being officially issued/allowed throughout 1939 only) that woul dmean that the few white SS shirmmutzen surfacing from times to times are part of a different uniform... which becomes more and more confusing! *lol*

So basically, if I understand well, the SS weisser rock was an OFFICER ONLY piece of uniform? No EM version as a dress uniform?

And then, what would have been the correct matching headgear\shirt\trousers? Regular schirmmutze w braun hemd (or white?) and feldgrau\erdgrau langhosen... white piped black straight legs dress trousers + shoes... OR black breeches and riding boots.. OR fedgrau breeches??? *lol* As you can see, I am trying hard to figure it all! Hope you and the other fellow board members can help me out... once again! ;)

Gratefully,

Wilibald

egon

Post by egon » 27 Mar 2007, 18:30

Wilibald wrote:Danke vielen Egon!

I must admit that even though I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about SS uniforms, the SS-Weisser Rock (thanks for the correct terminology) always puzzled me quite a bit...

Now your much appreciated reply brings some additional questions...*lol*

I was initially under the impression that the weisser rock was a Summer variant of the A-SS rock, which could have been used throughout the late 30s... I have seen many pictures of SA officers\leaders wearing a white tunic, and I assumed the pre-war SS had an equivalent, However, if the SS Weisser rock was so short-illed (being officially issued/allowed throughout 1939 only) that woul dmean that the few white SS shirmmutzen surfacing from times to times are part of a different uniform... which becomes more and more confusing! *lol*

So basically, if I understand well, the SS weisser rock was an OFFICER ONLY piece of uniform? No EM version as a dress uniform?

And then, what would have been the correct matching headgear\shirt\trousers? Regular schirmmutze w braun hemd (or white?) and feldgrau\erdgrau langhosen... white piped black straight legs dress trousers + shoes... OR black breeches and riding boots.. OR fedgrau breeches??? *lol* As you can see, I am trying hard to figure it all! Hope you and the other fellow board members can help me out... once again! ;)

Gratefully,

Wilibald
Wilibald
will attempt to address the Q.'s in order.

1) Yes. the SS-weisser rock was cut in the same pattern as the black M32 bluse. Worn only between April 1 to September 30.

2) Yes. Photos can be found during the prewar period of Algemeine "fuhrers" (not sure about SA). The A-SS weisser rock was not actually officially authorized for wear, by Himmler, until 1939, along with the W-SS. However it was employed, without any apparent restriction.

3) No. The SS-VT did not have their "own" weisser rock prior to 1939, as it was technically part of the Algemeine. Use of the Algemeine version is likely, as the A-SS version was itself not "official", until the W-SS became an independent service, and got their own.

4) White "summer" SS-schirmutzen, if original, would certainly be unauthorized, private purchase items, worn against regulations. Either Algemeine or W-SS. Not part of any SS uniform. Officially.

5) Yes. Definitely Officer only for Waffen-SS. By 1939, and the official adoption, it was designated for officer summer wear only (EM's had drilich, and/or Tropical). There is some indication that "leaders" of various senior "NCO" equivalents of the Algemeine, may have bought themselves the weisser rock, when it was "unauthorized" wear. There was no EM's "weisseranzug", for service or dress wear.

6) There was actually no white "summer" uniform of any sort, dress or otherwise, for SS officers. The regulations allowed only for the jacket alone. However this did not prevent some from wearing private purchase white trousers, and/or white topped schirmutze also.

7) Regulation wear was with "undress" Ausgehanzug- White shirt, black tie, Black hosen (not breeches), Black schirmutze.

The SS-weisser rock was private purchase (from various materials) prior to 1939 by some officers in Algemeine-SS. In 1939 the official SS-Weisser Rock was authorized, for both Waffen-SS and Algemeine SS officers in regulation white linen. Authorization was withdrawn in 1940. From 1940 onwards some officers continued to employ them as private purchase, against regulations, tailored from various materials. A factor in contributing to the rarity of surviving official SS-Weisser Rocks, compared to unauthorized private purchase versions,(apart from the short period that they were made for regulation wear), was that the majority were dyed, and employed as "summer", lightweight jackets on the front lines, or for training etc.

Wilibald

Post by Wilibald » 27 Mar 2007, 20:02

Mein liebe Gott! That covers pretty much every possible angles of my original question(s)! Thanks a zillion times for your most valuable input my friend! :)

Wilibald

Wilibald

Post by Wilibald » 28 Mar 2007, 19:16

As funny as it may seem, someone is selling that outfit (obvious repro) on German Ebay... and it seems like it does follow the regulations: Black schirmmutze, Weisser Rock, white shirt + tie and black straight leg trousers... Nice coincidence! *lol*

Wilibald
Attachments
1cac_3.JPG
1cac_3.JPG (34.52 KiB) Viewed 11686 times
249f_3.JPG
249f_3.JPG (33.74 KiB) Viewed 11690 times

egon

Post by egon » 29 Mar 2007, 04:57

they even got the the stripe on the hosen right, it was regulation to wear that for ausgehanzug. My theory, for what it's worth, about the short life of the weisser rock, is that Himmler regarded it as a Heer emulation. Possibly introduced, like some other things, to recognize it as a uniform item, by sheer weight of unauthorized practice, by Algemeine-SS. But after a year or so in 1940, knocked the whole concept on the head as being a "reactionary Heer" practice. The use of the Heer weisser rock was pretty much old school Prussian Army class style. Just a thought.

Wessel

Post by Wessel » 14 May 2007, 22:03

Attached photo of my SS Officers Summer tunic. The collar patches and the arm eagle have popper attachments and the epaulettes are unscrewable, the buttons are "D" rings so all can be removed for cleaning. (The GPB is a repro)
Attachments
Tunic-SS Officers summer.jpg
Tunic-SS Officers summer.jpg (154.92 KiB) Viewed 11335 times

HatsFan

white heinrich himmler m32 waffenrock

Post by HatsFan » 31 Jan 2008, 05:47

here is the one i just purchased from the guys from http://www.fundomsilitary.com
it is made from cotton and linen and incredible perfect. i absolutely love it.

the black one i purchased a few weeks ago already and it is the perfect black wool. just like the way it is supposed to be.

Hong Kong is out of the question, they only have High Quality - No china there.
i bought china stuff before - when you hold this in your hands - you ll know ;-)
Attachments
summerm32himmler.jpg
http://www.fundomsmilitary.com/details.php?prod_id=204
summerm32himmler.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 10796 times
m32summershouldersandcollars.jpg
oakleaves on shoulderboards, reichsführer ss collar tabs.
white himmler summer m32 tunic
www.fundomsmilitary.com
m32summershouldersandcollars.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 10786 times

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 27 Dec 2008, 12:39

Great posts, but... the A-SS, on the white M39, did wear the red armband or the eagle on the left arm?
The bullion eagle was introduced a year earlier for the gray uniform, right?
:?

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 28 Dec 2008, 14:17

Faustwald wrote:Great posts, but... the A-SS, on the white M39, did wear the red armband or the eagle on the left arm?
Both; actually photographic evidence exists for three variations:
a) Swastika brassard
b) National eagle
c) No insignia at all

By the way, there was also no real standardization when it came to shoulder boards, either. Again, period photographs show three variations:
a) A single Allgemeine SS pattern board worn on the right shoulder (as on the black tunic)
b) A pair of Allgemeine SS pattern boards worn on both shoulders (as on the grey tunic)
c) A pair of Waffen-SS/Police pattern boards worn on both shoulders (not by Allgemeine SS personnel, of course)

egon wrote:My theory, for what it's worth, about the short life of the weisser rock, is that Himmler regarded it as a Heer emulation. Possibly introduced, like some other things, to recognize it as a uniform item, by sheer weight of unauthorized practice, by Algemeine-SS. But after a year or so in 1940, knocked the whole concept on the head as being a "reactionary Heer" practice. The use of the Heer weisser rock was pretty much old school Prussian Army class style. Just a thought.
I beg to differ.
The discontinuation of the white summer uniform was simply a matter of war economics.
This is also evident by the fact that the relative orders forbade the wearing of the white uniform not indefinitely, but "for the duration of the war". (Which, of course, in practice meant for the duration of the Reich... :wink: )
As the white uniform was an additional, non-compulsory uniform item intended exclusively for dress-/off duty-/ walking-out wear, restricted to the summer months and only by officers, there was simply no need for it in the war years.
Another example for the war-time reduction in uniform items is the discontinuation of the Heer's Waffenrock parade uniform.

By the way, the white tunic was first seen during the Berlin 1936 summer Olympics, when it was worn both by officers and enlisted men. When it was officially introduced in 1939, it became restricted to officers.

Oh, and this may be of interest here - A good-quality image of Dr. Lammers in his white tunic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ammers.jpg

Some more variations on the theme:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... =a&start=0
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=50298 (= single ASS board and brassard)
http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org ... 20Rodl.jpg (= twin WSS boards, sleeve eagle)
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f? ... fa586d035e (note Seyß-Inquart on the left)
http://www.germaniainternational.com/im ... gife33.jpg (= single ASS board, no sleeve eagle or brassard)

Faustwald

Post by Faustwald » 28 Dec 2008, 19:03

Thank you HPL2008, a very complete and detailed post!

Just a few words from me:
HPL2008 wrote: c) A pair of Waffen-SS/Police pattern boards worn on both shoulders (not by Allgemeine SS personnel, of course)
Yes, the SD personnel from 1942 wear the shoulder boards with giftgrün piping.

HPL2008 wrote: Oh, and this may be of interest here - A good-quality image of Dr. Lammers in his white tunic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ammers.jpg
And with white trousers!!!! 8O
Never seen!!!!

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 18 Oct 2009, 22:32

My 2 cents: what appears to be official regulations concerning the white SS tunic.
Attachments
SS-Dienstrock.jpg
SS-Dienstrock.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 8791 times

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”