"Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß”

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich.
Hosted by Ivan Ž.
User avatar
behemoth
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: 02 Apr 2006 18:47
Location: Arizona, USA

"Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß”

Postby behemoth » 08 Sep 2006 04:16

I was just skimming a German doctorate dissertation by one Axel Jockwer of the Universität Konstanz entitled "Unterhaltungsmusik im Dritten Reich." In the text it says the following....

Ebenfalls tauchten hier Paradestücke nationalen Kitsches wie „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” oder „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein“ auf. Derartiges aus dem Musikleben zu entfernen machte Sinn, denn nationaler Kitsch war in seiner offenkundigen Lächerlichkeit weitaus gefährlicher als jeder amerikanische Swingstandard.


This text appears to me to indicate that the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” was considered "kitchy" and dangerous to play along with „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein." Obviously the NS leadership didn't want the people to envision Hitler running through a field of flowers etc.

This brings up two questions:

1. I have heard bits and pieces of the "Lieblingsblume" song referenced above from a documentary I have. Does anyone have the actual song?

2. The "Deutchland erwache.....am Rhein" song is entirely unknown to me. Does anyone have any info on it? Obviously it's not the same as the versions we all know.

I searched the net and found nothing further on either of these songs.

User avatar
Ivan Ž.
Forum Staff
Posts: 3946
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 12:28
Location: Serbia

Re: „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß

Postby Ivan Ž. » 08 Sep 2006 13:32

behemoth wrote:1. I have heard bits and pieces of the "Lieblingsblume" song referenced above from a documentary I have. Does anyone have the actual song?

I have it, it lasts 2:50
behemoth wrote:2. The "Deutchland erwache.....am Rhein" song is entirely unknown to me. Does anyone have any info on it?

Trotzige Burgen, verfallene Mauern... (Deutschland erwache, es ist Frühling am Rhein)
Musik: Otto Höfer / Text: Marianne Fischer-Dyck

Cheers,
Ivan

User avatar
Ivan Ž.
Forum Staff
Posts: 3946
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 12:28
Location: Serbia

Re: „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß

Postby Ivan Ž. » 08 Sep 2006 13:36

behemoth wrote:This text appears to me to indicate that the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” was considered "kitchy" and dangerous to play along with „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein." Obviously the NS leadership didn't want the people to envision Hitler running through a field of flowers etc.

You missunderstood the text, I believe...
Goebbels' propaganda made "das schlichte Edelweiß" Hitler's favorite flower.

User avatar
behemoth
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: 02 Apr 2006 18:47
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß

Postby behemoth » 08 Sep 2006 16:55

Ivanwss wrote:
behemoth wrote:This text appears to me to indicate that the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß” was considered "kitchy" and dangerous to play along with „Deutschland erwache, ’s ist Frühling am Rhein." Obviously the NS leadership didn't want the people to envision Hitler running through a field of flowers etc.

You missunderstood the text, I believe...
Goebbels' propaganda made "das schlichte Edelweiß" Hitler's favorite flower.


Here is my translation. My German isn't very good so it would help to have a German speaker weigh in on this one....

Likewise the below "parade pieces" were dubbed national "kitch" such as „Adolf Hitler's favourite flowers are the simple edelweiss” or „Germany awake[.....]spring on the Rhine.“ It was sensible to remove such as these from "musical life" [as such] national "kitch" was far more dangerous in its overt rediculousness (( Lächerlichkeit )) than every American standard swing [songs previously mentioned].

Russland
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 May 2007 04:37
Location: TX

Also seeking information on this song...

Postby Russland » 15 May 2007 05:02

Hello, all. This post is in reference to the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß." I too, am seeking some further information on this song - which I first heard in an A&E documentary several years ago. I would like to find out several things about the original record itself:

1. Disc label - who produced it?
2. What number is stamped on the recording?
3. Who is the vocalist? The orchestra? The composer?
4. What is on the flip side of the original record?

Also, is it possible to obtain a copy of the song itself?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Karl
Member
Posts: 2350
Joined: 12 Mar 2002 02:55
Location: S. E. Asia

Postby Karl » 15 May 2007 05:55

I believe that is a myth, about the flower I mean and that is just a btw...

User avatar
Ivan Ž.
Forum Staff
Posts: 3946
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 12:28
Location: Serbia

Re: Also seeking information on this song...

Postby Ivan Ž. » 15 May 2007 09:05

Russland wrote:Hello, all. This post is in reference to the song „Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß." I too, am seeking some further information on this song - which I first heard in an A&E documentary several years ago. I would like to find out several things about the original record itself:

1. Disc label - who produced it?
2. What number is stamped on the recording?
3. Who is the vocalist? The orchestra? The composer?
4. What is on the flip side of the original record?

Also, is it possible to obtain a copy of the song itself?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!


Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß
M: Otto Rathke / T: A. Stadthagen
Orchester Otto Dobrindt / Gesang: Harry Steier
(Gloria G.O. 13050)

recorded: 1933
B-side: Braunau am Inn (M: Zimmer / T: Weiß)

Cheers,
Ivan

Russland
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 15 May 2007 04:37
Location: TX

Postby Russland » 15 May 2007 13:37

Ivan,

Vielen Dank! Thank you so much for the information - your knowledge is certainly vast, and I appreciate your help!

User avatar
Ivan Ž.
Forum Staff
Posts: 3946
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 12:28
Location: Serbia

Re: Also seeking information on this song...

Postby Ivan Ž. » 09 Feb 2008 12:50

Small correction:

Adolf Hitlers Lieblingsblume ist das schlichte Edelweiß
M: Otto Rathke / T: Emil Gustav Adolf Stadthagen
Harry Steier (Tenor) mit Orchesterbegleitung / Dirigent: Kapellmeister Otto Dobrindt
Gloria [Bi 1671] G.O. 13050 a
Berlin, 1934

Wassermann
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 Jul 2003 13:47
Location: Germany

Postby Wassermann » 11 Feb 2008 11:17

behemoth is right for his interpretation of the lines of the dissertation. The lines state that due to is clear ridicule 'national kitch' was more dangerous than american swing and therefore removing it was of vital interest.

Uwe


Return to “Music of the Reich”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest