Food rations in the Japanese forces

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Akira Takizawa

Re: Food rations in the Japanese forces

Post by Akira Takizawa » 11 Sep 2008, 08:33

Sewer King wrote:It also suggests that the Japanese Army soon applied its World War I observations from the Western Front, rather than the later China war as I first thought.
It is said that the packaged Japanese combat rations was developed as the rations for chemical-biological warfare. It would be brought from the WWI inspection as you said.

Taki

Simon K

Post by Simon K » 11 Sep 2008, 16:26

Hi Sewerking. I found a good picture of the ROK ration circa 1953.
it is on the US Army QM Website in the Rations and Cooks section - Article entitled "Food Services Of the United Nations - Korea" The picture is enclosed there.
Simon

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 13 Sep 2008, 16:30

Thanks Simon K, for that photo of the wartime ROK combat ration. Here it shows the formal name of "Ration, ROKA Field, Individual."

It does roughly resemble the IJA's pack ration in concept, despite any differences in packaging material and ingredients. I don't know if any of Japan's original production capacity for those would have survived the war, and especially the fire raids. If many of the factories were destroyed, the workers killed, and the experience lost, then I can only suppose its distant connection if any to the later ROK ration. It seems plausible, at least.

The photo is almost certainly the ration described in Huston, page 340, cited earlier:
... Each ration package, packed in a waterproof bag, included three menus. Menu number three, for example contained the following:
  • Rice starch, 100g
    Green tea, 8g
    Kelp, 40g
    Salt, 10g
    Dried cuttlefish, 70g
    Red pepper, 10g
    Sugar, 20g
Notice the stick of Watanabe-brand chewing gum at the bottom of photo. While its English-language label is not unusual from Japan, the rest of the ration and its packaging do not seem to have any Korean-language printing along with that in English.

-- Alan

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 14 Sep 2008, 04:05

Hi, Alan:

Regarding umeboshi, I've sometimes wondered if the stuff was anything like the flinty, dried salty plums you, me and other Filipinos refer to as kiamoy, that Chinese munchie. (Woinder what that would taste like with rice :? )

aipaul

Post by aipaul » 16 Sep 2008, 00:05

Pax Melmacia wrote:Hi, Alan:

Regarding umeboshi, I've sometimes wondered if the stuff was anything like the flinty, dried salty plums you, me and other Filipinos refer to as kiamoy, that Chinese munchie. (Woinder what that would taste like with rice :? )
No umeboshi is pickled in vinegar and is not dried. It has a crunchy texture. The red color comes from food coloring that's added. The last time I went to Japan, I noticed they no longer use the red coloring and the umeboshis were off green in color.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 16 Sep 2008, 05:16

Kiamoy is something like apple crisp snacks in the US, except that the apple is sour-sweet rather than salted like the plum. I never thought of them on rice either but if they ever were, they would likely be softened up by heat and steam from the latter.

-- Alan

Simon K

Post by Simon K » 16 Sep 2008, 21:51

Filipino cuisine sounds quite interesting BTW Alan. Glad the Filipino nation still upholds the great canned corned beef. :)

Pax Melmacia

Post by Pax Melmacia » 29 Sep 2008, 05:20

Filipino cuisine sounds quite interesting BTW Alan. Glad the Filipino nation still upholds the great canned corned beef.
Funny thing about that. There was a time cans of the stuff were de rigeur in every middle-class kitchen here. But now the real stuff is so expensive we have to depend on relatives abroad to send them to us in bulk. The local stuff has so much Textured Vegetable Protein that it's practically approved eating during Lent. :P

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 15 Oct 2008, 06:01

Pax Melmacia wrote:
Simon K wrote:Filipino cuisine sounds quite interesting BTW Alan. Glad the Filipino nation still upholds the great canned corned beef.
Funny thing about that. There was a time cans of the stuff were de rigeur in every middle-class kitchen here. But now the real stuff is so expensive we have to depend on relatives abroad to send them to us in bulk. The local stuff has so much Textured Vegetable Protein that it's practically approved eating during Lent. :P
As a Filipino I am sorry to say this, but our cuisine, though interesting and hearty enough, is not highly distinguished on the world's plate. There are certainly a great many fine Filipino cooks, but they often cook other cuisines; there are good eateries where Filipinos go, but not many fine restaurants that showcase our cuisine for others.

Not having returned to the RP in many years, I sometimes get taken aback by what I hear or read from there. I, too, grew up with corned beef in ordinary meals and now the real thing is scarce? And the Philippines, the best place in the world to grow rice, has to import rice from Japan, which diverted it from livestock feed??

That's like the old Soviet joke that if north Africa became Communist, it would soon have to import sand.

========================

Here is a reference to some research and development (R&D) for Japanese Army rations, from the following report of:
  • US Naval Technical Mission to Japan: “References from the Committee for the Technical and Scientific Survey of Japanese Activities in Medical Sciences,” Intelligence Targets Japan (DNI) of 4 Sept 1945, Fascicle M1, Addendum M-AB, Attachments A and B, December 1945, pages 98-100:
  • ENCLOSURE (B)

RESEARCH PROJECTS AND FINDINGS
    OF THE ARMY MEDICAL COLLEGE, TOKYO

Part One
    STUDIES REGARDING SANITATION AND HYGIENE
… II. Study of Supplies.

1. Actual conditions of supplies.

Purpose. In war time our supplies were decreasing gradually. We tried to know its actual conditions and to contribute to their development.

Procedure. We gathered menus which extended over one week or ten days in different regions and examined the supplied calories and articles of food.

Results.
2. Study of reaction to reduced diet on the physical condition.

The aim of this study is to know the source of depreciation of our physical ability by reduced diet.

Methods. We observed the change of weight and working ability of a subject who was taking 300gm. of rice, 6gm. of sugar and 30gm. of powdered “miso” per day and was working as hard as an ordinary soldier.

Results. After a month continuance we find that the weight was decreased by 10%, the running time of 200 meters with a 40 kilogram mud-bag prolonged by 13 seconds (from 60 to 73 seconds) and lifting ability of a 25 kilogram mud-bag decreases from 17 times to 14 times. Afterwards he took the same food with sufficient supplies of vitamins and salts for a month without any decrease of working ability, although his weight reduced by 17% in comparison with the original one.

3. Elements contained in the food supplies.

We examined the elements contained in our foods by means of spectro-photography.

Results. We found that beans contain comparatively many kinds of salts, but the intention of further study was interrupted with the termination of the war.

4. Study of physiological value of protein.

We measured the physiological value of protein contained in rice, sardines, and soya-beans.

Method and results. After taking these proteins we compared the absorbed nitrogen within urine excreted one [sic]. As to each protein it is the same results with generally convinced [sic], but the physiological value of proteins combined with each other is above the original one.

5. Study of the value of hulled rice from the utility view point.

From the economical and nutritious view point we examined the former results and made an experiment of absorption of hulled rice and polished rice.

Results:
  • (1) If we pay particular attention on cooking methods and mastication, etc., there is no particular injury in the hulled rice diet.

(2) The hulled rice diet has no value from the economical and nutritious view point, if we can supply sufficient subsidiary articles of diet.
It might sound biased from today’s viewpoint, but the above experiments sound too simple to me. There may have been more studies that were not in the Technical Mission report. The Army Medical College was destroyed in the Tokyo fire raid of April 1945, although some of its records apparently survived [cf. Williams & Wallace, below, page 87]. Whether further ration research was done there or elsewhere, looking it up today might be a specialized subject.

For its part, the Japanese Army Air Forces did some research on food as a separate field. They assigned it to their Seventh Research Institute for Army Aeronautical Technology, along with clothing and other areas of troop support. [cf. Grunden, below, page 209]

These undated food studies seem surprisingly late in the war, since concern for food shortages would have become urgent well before then. That is not so obvious at it first sounds. A staff officer has to worry about food shortages well ahead of the general officer, while the common soldier is more concerned with what he has to eat this day and the next. This kind of research is more likely to arise when staffers actually get their generals to worry about the problem.

========================

I do not mean to take this too far into the subject of war crimes, but some of the same concern for the Japanese Army’s food supply apparently led in that direction.

The Army Medical College in Tokyo was involved with biological warfare (BW) research under the infamous General Ishii Shiro. Ishii had once been an instructor there, where he had also begun some of his early BW work. He was known to have divided that into what he called type “B” work, which could be openly conducted at home in Japan -- and type “A” work, which secretly carried out unrestricted human experiments in remote parts of the Empire. [Harris, Sheldon H. Factories of Death (London and New York: Routledge, revised edition 2002), page 23]

Besides more notorious BW atrocities, Ishii’s “Unit 731” laboratories in Manchuria also carried out malnutrition experiments on their prisoners. One of these was to see how long subjects could last on a diet solely of Army biscuits and water.
Malnutrition had appeared in units of the Kwantung Army fighting on the Xuzhou front in mid 1938. More than 1,000 troops of the Mixed Second Brigade and the 13th Brigade suffered from persistent diarrhea, and about half died … A number hospitalized at Tsitsihar Military Hospital, however, were recognized by the hospital’s commander Major Tokuyuki Okazaka to be suffering from malnutrition, something of an embarrassment to the glorious Japanese Army.

On November 11th and 12th, the Kwantung Army Medical Administration held a two-day conference on the subject. Present were Ishii and [his colleague] Kitano Masaji. Soon after, [the War Ministry’s Medical Bureau ordered corrective measures], but the problem was massive. For the next two years a research problem was carried out aimed as increasing nutrient absorption from food. Kitano, then at the Manchurian Medical College, carried out other studies using normal scientific procedures.

At Unit 731 a more drastic course was taken, as medical orderly Ishibayashi witnessed:
I saw the malnutrition experiments. They were conducted by the project team under the technician Yoshimura. He was a civilian member of Unit 731. The purpose of the experiments, I believe was to find out how long a human being could survive just with water and biscuits. Two marutas [“logs,” Unit 731’s term for its living human victims] were used for this experiment. They continuously circled a prescribed course within the grounds of the Unit carrying, approximately, a 20-kilogramme sandbag on their backs. One succumbed before the other, but they both ultimately died. The duration of the experiment was about two months. They only received Army biscuits to eat, and water to drink, so they would not have been able to survive for very long. They weren’t allowed a lot of sleep either.
Although not for BW, the food experiments at the Army Medical College fit Ishii‘s type “B” work by a short stretch, while the extreme experiments at Unit 731 fit his type “A.” This is only a circumstantial link for lack of detail, but General Ishii had a long and deep association with both of those research centers. The possibility of any distant link between these malnutrition experiments could even include Ishii himself, despite their apparent time difference. Presumably the College used Japanese subjects who were returned to full health afterwards, as opposed to the two presumably Chinese victims who died at Unit 731.

There is one broader note about these experiments. They were entirely about endurance on minimal rations under hard conditions – and nothing else. Although there may have been some work on it, or elsewhere, there seems to be little report here of improving and testing any rations themselves. The Unit 731 tests, especially, imply a terrible interest in learning only how far the Japanese soldier himself can starve on his “iron rations” alone. A starving man ceases to be an effective soldier long before the extremes of these experiments From a war industry’s viewpoint, who would have done anything with these findings? What did they really help improve in army provisioning?

War crimes aside, I can’t easily see why malnutrition research would have taken two years after Xuzhou. Military-industrial research in wartime Japan was often long-delayed, disorganized, or hampered by various rivalries among or between companies, universities, and the armed forces themselves [Grunden, Walter E., Secret Weapons and World War II: Japan in the Shadow of Big Science (University Press of Kansas, 2005), pages 41-47]. It might well be that military medicine had similar problems. But army nutrition was already a long-established field, in Japan and elsewhere.

I am somewhat surprised at reports of malnutrition itself in the Kwantung Army in 1938. Certainly it had fought many small skirmishes with the Soviets through that time. Field conditions in the Manchurian borderlands were hard enough for both sides, but this was before Japan’s rout at the Battle of Nomonhan (Khalkin-Gol). At that time the Kwantung Army was reputedly a crack command, the cutting edge of the “Northward Advance” school of strategy against the Soviet Far East. I would have thought it was better supplied along its interior lines than to suffer malnutrition -– and then recognized only as late as told here.

In contrast, the Japanese Army had a good medical record on the battlefields of 1904 and 1914. But 1,000 disease casualties in 1938, with half fatal and partly from malnutrition, seems like a terrible turn. If that figure was not under-reported -– conceivably -- how does it compare to the number of those killed in action there up to then? If malnutrition was due mainly to failure of supply transport, then why were the Unit 731 experiments needed?

Incidentally, the US also carried out a starvation experiment under Dr. Ancel Keys in 1944-45, although these used willing volunteers and were well-documented.

The high number of its own disease casualties in the 1898 Spanish-American War encouraged the US Army to establish its Cooks and Bakers’ Schools soon afterwards – to improve the army’s food, and therefore its health. Soldiers’ rations in any army are often spartan to begin with. If their food is delivered late or spoiled, the officers may be slow to notice as long as their own mess plates are well-filled. But even the generals cannot ignore food and supply problems when enough of their men sicken or die from deficiency diseases.

What could have changed in IJA provisions or supply after Xuzhou, then? Might the later success of Japan’s “Southward Advance” in 1940-42 have deferred any such larger concerns for the material limits of her Army?

-- Alan
Last edited by Sewer King on 20 Oct 2008, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 Oct 2008, 12:22

Future "pork on the fork"
Attachments
pork.jpg
pork.jpg (101.8 KiB) Viewed 8468 times

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 25 Oct 2008, 05:12

What is the soldier at lower left wearing a vest holding in his hands? For that matter, were vests part of Army uniform?

I always like analysis of historic photos for small interesting details. This can be deductive, circumstantial, from collateral research, or speculative within reason and caution.

=============================

Here is another photo of a soldiers’ cooked meal in the field, from an unofficial introductory paperback booklet for US soldiers, one of a series about Allied and Axis forces:
  • Infantry Journal, Inc. How the Jap Army Fights (New York: Penguin Books, 1942, sixth printing June 1943), page 190

I can't tell what the "Black Star" photo source credit refers to.

Would the large pot with wire handle be typical issue, if not necessarily standard? Apparently rice is being served from it. I don’t know if the taller square container behind that is of any particular type or interest. Other serving containers, including what looks like one for a beverage, are partly obscured by the arms of the man serving rice.

=============================

Much more soon to come from other history sources on IJA and IJN provisions

-- Alan

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 25 Oct 2008, 06:45

Alan

Its a black kitten.Not for the pot I think. :)

Peter

Brady

Post by Brady » 26 Oct 2008, 06:23

One thing I have noticed in watching contempory Japanese Anime, is the use of the "standard Japanese Mess Kit" shown in the above picture for camping, particulary during school outings to cook rice in, they are indentical to those shown above. "figure 17" had several sceans featuring them as an example, which would sugest they are still used today.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 26 Oct 2008, 16:54

Peter H wrote:Its a black kitten.Not for the pot I think.
When I could not make it out earlier, I thought it might have been poultry. Probably these men are in camp or garrison then, who can see to livestock and pets. You can find enough photos of German troops with pets, but I can't think of many Japanese ones of the same.
Brady wrote:One thing I have noticed in watching contempory Japanese Anime, is the use of the "standard Japanese Mess Kit" ...
Certain well-known, traditional military-style school uniforms items remain in traditional use in Japan, those of boys' originating with Prussian cadets and the girls' with Royal Navy sailors. Maybe some of our Japanese members can say if the army-style mess kits still survived in some school use for any time after the war. If so, they would be as incidental and taken for granted in anime as the uniform would be.

I wonder slightly why the military-style school uniforms continued after the demilitarization of occupied Japan. But, there was a similar allowance of traditional uniform items in Germany. still worn by civil Police forces, including the famous German steel helmet. The latter continued in use as late as the early 1980s.

The "European" mess kit design was so widespread among 20th century Continental armies that I am not sure who started it, although there is probably someone here who can say. Maybe it was the British Army, which first used a D-section mess tin in the 19th century? Imperial Japanese mess kits are most like the classic, kidney-section German ones. I think they continued in postwar use with the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force as well as other Asian armies.

-- Alan

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”