My Trip to Dalian and Lushun

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:09

The Yamato Hotel (ヤマトホテル), the most famous hotel in Manchuria during the Japanese imperialist rule. This hotel was built in April 1914. After the liberation, its name was changed into the Dalian Hotel (大连宾馆).

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:18

Formerly the Dalian branch office of the Bank of China (中国银行) during the Japanese rule, this building is now used as the Dalian branch of the CITI Bank. It was built in June 1910.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:27

After my impressive visit to the Zhongshan Square on the first day, the next day I went to Lushun, the core of my trip plan.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:35

The Shui Shi Ying Meeting Place (水師營 會見所), one of the most famous historic places in Manchuria.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:45

The door of Shui Shi Ying

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:50

A sign plate

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 27 Feb 2009, 09:55

One of the most famous scenes taken during the Russo-Japanese War. The meeting between general Anatoly Stoessel (Анатолий Стессель) and general Nogi Maresuke (乃木希典) on January 5th, 1905

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 18 Mar 2009, 13:49

General Stoessel and the Russian delagation heading toward the Shui Shi Ying Meeting Place in the morning of January 5th 1905.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 18 Mar 2009, 14:32

General Stoessel and the Russian delagation entering the Shui Shi Ying Meeting Place. At that time, it was a house owned by a Chinese man named Li Qi-Lan (李其蘭). This house was chosen as a meeting place because it was the only house that was not destroyed in the village of Shui Shi Ying during the seige.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 24 Mar 2009, 10:26

At 7 o'clock in the morning on January 5th, ordered by General Nogi, Captain Tsunoda Koreshige (津野田是重) left the Japanese headquarter at Liu Shu Fang (柳樹房) for downtown Lushun to prepare for negotiation on surrender of Russian troops. Because there was a problem in his horse, however, he couldn't keep the promise with the Russians. When he arrived at a promised place, General Stoessel and his staff already left for Shui Shi Ying. Irritated, he hurried up and caught up with General Stoessel near Shui Shi Ying.

When they arrived at the meeting place at 10:50, general Nogi and the Japanese staff were not there yet. While Tsunoda was at a loss, Major Watanabe arrived at the meeting place. With Watanabe's help, Tsunoda could prepare some refreshments and firewood.

At 11:30, General Nogi arrived at the Meeting Place. Perplexed, Tsunoda guided his commander into the house. General Nogi agreed but Major General Ijichi was a little offended because Russian staff didn't come out to greet the Japanese delegation. It seemed that the Japanese delegation wanted the Russians to recognize them as victors.

The above scene is based on Captain Tsunoda's account, but Kawakami Toshitsune (川上俊彦), who was on the spot as interpreter at that time, told that the Russian staff did come out to greet them. Two men have different accounts on what had happened just before the meeting began. We find a lot of similar phenomena when we try to verify historical facts, especially, atrocity cases.

From 'The Evening Sun, Blood and Iron' 「斜陽と鉄血」 and 'How was Lushun taken?'「旅順開城規始末」 by Tsunoda Koreshige (津野田是重)

Captain Tsunoda Koreshige

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 24 Mar 2009, 10:51

The waiting room for the Russian delegation

Borys
Banned

Re: My Trip to Dalian and Lushun

Post by Borys » 24 Mar 2009, 11:03

Ahoj!
Very nice pictures!
A nitpick - the "Russian Street" has a longer name in Russian - the Cyrilic text says "Russian Customs Office Street".
And FYI - the Cyrilic text on one of the houses says "Pearl General Store" :)

Borys

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 24 Mar 2009, 11:04

The waiting room for the Japanese delegation, now used as an exhibition room on the Seige of Lushun

This is a popular place for Japanese tourists who visit Lushun.

A Chinese guide explaining to Japanese tourists

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 01 Apr 2009, 09:28

The table around which Russian and Japanese delegations held a surrender talks

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 16 Apr 2009, 10:19

At 11:35, Captian Tsunoda led General Stoessel into the meeting room and introduced him to General Nogi. They shook their hands and began their conversation. Kawakami Toshitsune interpreted their dialogue. After brief greeting, General Stoessel set back a few steps and began introducing his staff.

The first topic of their conversation was the battle itself. Stoessel said that he was shocked by strength of Japanese 28cm gun. After this gun was brought to the scene, he said, Russian defense plan was foiled. On the other hand, Nogi praised heroic defense of Russian troops.

Stoessel: (Sympathtically) "I've heard that your two sons were killed in this battlefield."

Nogi: "I'm happy that my sons chose right places for their death. My elder son had fallen in the Battle of Nanshan and my younger son in the Battle for Height 203. They would be happy with their death."

Stoessel: (Shocked) "You don't look sad although you lost your most prescious happiness! I'm amazed!" 8O

Image Image

Nogi: "Do you have a son?"

Stoessel: "I have one son. He is working as infantry officer of the court guards in St. Petersburg. Since I was against this war, I told my son not to volunteer for the war... Six children at my home in Lushun are all orphans whose fathers (officers) had fallen in this battle..."

To be continued...

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”