Fallen Officer, Berlin 45

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Lassemaler

Fallen Officer, Berlin 45

Post by Lassemaler » 01 Feb 2010, 08:09

Hi there!

Anyone here who knows who have info on this fallen officer?

Some say Danish, Swedish?
Attachments
faldenofficer_berlin2.jpg
faldenofficer_berlin2.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
faldenofficer_berlin1.jpg
faldenofficer_berlin1.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 3997 times

lennardg

Re: Fallen Officer, Berlin 45

Post by lennardg » 01 Feb 2010, 16:22

I've read he was from the Charlemagne Division - the French volunteers. You can tell because he wears a scarf around his waist. Reportedly the Charlemagne soldiers found rolls of cloth material in the colour of the French flag -the tricolore- in a bombed out department store and tied it around their waists for their last stand against the Russians.
If he wore the helmet lying on the ground next to him, he wore a German paratrooper's helmet and also carried an FG 42 assault rifle issued to paratroopers, (on the ground to the left) but in the last days of the battle of Berlin you probably just picked up anything that was available to you.

Le Page

Post by Le Page » 02 Feb 2010, 05:59

lennardg wrote:Reportedly the Charlemagne soldiers found rolls of cloth material in the colour of the French flag -the tricolore- in a bombed out department store and tied it around their waists for their last stand against the Russians.
What is your source for this info?

Cheers, Lepage.

Lassemaler

Post by Lassemaler » 02 Feb 2010, 18:33

Same person, different picture.
Attachments
fromBook_GottMitUns_Page123.jpg
fromBook_GottMitUns_Page123.jpg (89.78 KiB) Viewed 3898 times

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 24 Feb 2010, 05:39

Looks like he's a Captain from SS-PGR24. That ought to narrow it down a bit. Anybody care to venture a guess? I wonder if the street is identifiable as well.

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 25 Feb 2010, 13:07

Rob - wssob2 wrote:I wonder if the street is identifiable as well.
Umm...It says Friedrichstrasse on the caption above :)
"It was like Hungary being between Germany and the Soviet Union. What sort of choice was that? Which language would you like your firing squad to speak?" Tibor Fischer 'Under the Frog'.

Le Page

Post by Le Page » 25 Feb 2010, 20:26

The caption to that photo is probably correct. Danmark was a component of Division Nordland, which was in that sector. The well-known photo of the Nordland armored car in Berlin is allegedly on the same street.

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 26 Feb 2010, 01:24

Le Page wrote: The well-known photo of the Nordland armored car in Berlin is allegedly on the same street.
That photo can be seen here http://www.feldgrau.com/sweden.html According to the Feldgrau article that one was taken on Friedrichstrasse close to No 107, about 200m north of the Spree.

We could probably place the other picture reasonably accurately assuming it is the same street. It looks like a U-Bahn station to the rear of the Soviet soldier to the left of the picture. There are several on Friedrichstrasse but the layout of the road in the background might narrow things down.
"It was like Hungary being between Germany and the Soviet Union. What sort of choice was that? Which language would you like your firing squad to speak?" Tibor Fischer 'Under the Frog'.

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 26 Feb 2010, 03:08

Hi Inselaffe - thanks for your post that is exactly the kind of location information I was wondering about.

Could this be Rudolf Ternedde, III Battalion commander?

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 26 Feb 2010, 13:36

Rob,

I'm pretty sure I've read on this forum somewhere that Ternedde wasn't KIA and lived well into the post-war period. I'll have to check that and don't have time at the moment.

Cheers.

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 27 Feb 2010, 01:06

OK, this thread http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&start=30 from 2005 Marc Rikmenspoel states that Ternedde "only died a few years ago".

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 27 Feb 2010, 01:30

Hello,
Inselaffe wrote:
Le Page wrote: The well-known photo of the Nordland armored car in Berlin is allegedly on the same street.
That photo can be seen here http://www.feldgrau.com/sweden.html According to the Feldgrau article that one was taken on Friedrichstrasse close to No 107, about 200m north of the Spree.

We could probably place the other picture reasonably accurately assuming it is the same street. It looks like a U-Bahn station to the rear of the Soviet soldier to the left of the picture. There are several on Friedrichstrasse but the layout of the road in the background might narrow things down.
I'm reasonably sure that the dead officer is lying in front of Friedrichstraße 113. That would make the underground entrance in the background the northernmost entrance to the underground station 'Oranienburger Tor'. The street that hits Friedrichstraße from the right two houses down the road is Oranienburger Straße (plus Linienstraße). The bend in Friedrichstraße you see in the background is where Friedrichstraße changes into Chausseestraße.

Best regards
Torsten

Inselaffe

Post by Inselaffe » 27 Feb 2010, 01:32

Regarding the location, as Le Page stated earlier, Nordland were definitely in this sector. More specifically,Beevor has Danmark "round the Kochstrasse U-Bahn station on the Friedrichstrasse" on 1-2nd May. ('Berlin' p.380) Could this be the station in the background?

Le Page

Post by Le Page » 27 Feb 2010, 03:32

Inselaffe wrote:Regarding the location, as Le Page stated earlier, Nordland were definitely in this sector. More specifically,Beevor has Danmark "round the Kochstrasse U-Bahn station on the Friedrichstrasse" on 1-2nd May. ('Berlin' p.380) Could this be the station in the background?
Ahhh - yes, that's it. I was trying to locate the location yesterday, and did find a contemporary photo of an intersection which was Friedricstrasse/Koch. It looked very similar to the photo we're discussing, but I wasn't sure. I will find it and post it.

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 01 Mar 2010, 07:35

Thanks all for filling out the details - Rudolf Ternedde was just a guess on my part; I wasn't sure if he survived the war or not.

So who could it be then? There were only a finite # of Captains in the regiment, so it shouldn't be that difficult to identify the fallen officer.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”