Organisation Todt Helferinnen

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Heimatschuss

Organisation Todt Helferinnen

Post by Heimatschuss » 18 Aug 2008, 01:04

Time for some fresh stuff here again :-)

The following photos really took me by surprise. I'd never heard about auxiliaries of the Organisation Todt (OT) previously but something like this really seems to have existed. The only mention of OT's role in the auxiliary business I could find in standard sources is a (very short) note in Williamson (2003, p.7) that on occasions OT received signals auxiliaries from the Heer (Army) if needed.

As these photos show OT did spend a bit more effort on its female staff even devising a particular uniform for them. The top photo is obviously, due to the insignia, a signals auxiliary but with numerous special OT ingredients.

The lower photo is still somewhat hazy though I've already tried various ways of image enhancement. But at least you can now vaguely recognize that the women around the table are also sporting said OT sleeve eagle on their jackets. Obviously the uniform displayed in the first photo was not just some design study produced just for the shelf but really was utilized 'in the field' to some extent.

Can any of you provide further information on the OT auxiliaries? [Admittedly I've not read Seidler's book on the OT so far but I'm somewhat sceptical that it will contain something noteworthy on this matter.]

Picture sources:
Top picture: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... t=helferin
Bottom picture: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... t=helferin

Literature source:
G. Williamson (2003): World War II German Women's Auxiliary Services. Osprey Publishing, 2003

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
OT auxiliary 1.jpg
OT auxiliary 1.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
OT auxiliary 2.jpg
OT auxiliary 2.jpg (74.03 KiB) Viewed 7864 times

Vikki
Forum Staff

Re: Female Auxiliary Photographs

Post by Vikki » 18 Aug 2008, 06:00

Torsten,

Great photos, as always!

On the topic of women in the employment of the OT, I thought you might be interested in the items below.

Best,
~Vikki
Attachments
OT.jpg
OT.jpg (127.67 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
OT 001.jpg
OT 001.jpg (179.36 KiB) Viewed 11670 times
OT 002.jpg
OT 002.jpg (99.13 KiB) Viewed 11627 times

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 23 Aug 2008, 14:42

Oh Vikki,

your collection must be really awesome. For any kind of rare uniform that is mentioned here you already have some matching parts :D

Best regards
Torsten

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 14 Jul 2010, 15:20

Hello,

time to tickle Fraulein Valkyrie with another of her favourite 'helfs & hounds' photos :wink: . This one was working for the Organisation Todt construction service as the cuff title shows (or is it an armband?). While playing with her puppy 'Strolch' (rascal) conveys an impression quite idyllic the long-barreled artillery Luger dangling from the wall in the left upper corner points to a rather unruly corner of the world.

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
OT auxiliary 3.jpg
OT auxiliary 3.jpg (125.54 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
OT auxiliary 3 - Zoom.jpg
OT auxiliary 3 - Zoom.jpg (163.6 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
Last edited by Heimatschuss on 14 Jul 2010, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 14 Jul 2010, 17:14

Another one of an Organisation Todt woman from a photo studio in Riga (Latvia) in 1944. She's wearing the standard dark OT uniform for females but the breast pin of the German Red Cross on her coat is very unusual. Maybe an OT medic (though I've never heard of that) or a former nurse that later became an OT signals auxiliary like the very first Nachrichtenhelferinnen which were transferred from the Red Cross to the Army in 1940.

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
OT auxiliary 4.jpg
OT auxiliary 4.jpg (134.08 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
OT auxiliary 4 - Zoom.jpg
OT auxiliary 4 - Zoom.jpg (200.54 KiB) Viewed 5289 times

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 14 Jul 2010, 23:30

Yet one more OT photo for tonight, a very nice group shot from 1943. What was most amazing to me in this case was the quality of the original photo material. Something you cannot take for granted in mid- to late-war general purpose photos from the German side. The small scale paper photo I bought was obviously even just a second-hand post-war copy as the many vertical scratches of an automated developing unit on the copy indicated. Keeping that in mind despite this the resolution of the photo is overwhelming after cleaning it. Compare the magnification of the sleeve eagle here
OT auxiliaries 5 - Eagle insignium.jpg
OT auxiliaries 5 - Eagle insignium.jpg (51.59 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
with Vikki's original from http://forum.axishistory.com/download/f ... ?id=155605
Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
OT auxiliaries 5.jpg
OT auxiliaries 5.jpg (166.86 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
OT auxiliaries 5 - Zoom.jpg
OT auxiliaries 5 - Zoom.jpg (165.02 KiB) Viewed 5274 times

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 17 Jul 2010, 23:31

Hi once more,

here are some further Organisation Todt pics I found here and there.

Of course there also had to be an OT summer dress for females:
OT auxiliary 6.jpg
OT auxiliary 6.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Source: http://tinyurl.com/39jwl59

Two more nice OT girls:
OT auxiliary 7.jpg
OT auxiliary 7.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Source: http://tinyurl.com/2wqwg5h

Yet another portrait shot with the characteristic cap:
OT auxiliary 8.jpg
OT auxiliary 8.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Source: http://tinyurl.com/33uxae6

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 17 Jul 2010, 23:43

One of an OT girl with her dog:
OT auxiliary 9.jpg
OT auxiliary 9.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
Source: http://tinyurl.com/35elmcl

A sewing workshop of the NS Frauenschaft where they are just attaching OT insignia:
OT auxiliary 10.jpg
OT auxiliary 10.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
Source: http://www.sz-photo.de/suddeutsche-zeit ... o/service/
Best regards
Torsten

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 18 Jul 2010, 00:34

Heimatschuss wrote:Hello,

time to tickle Fraulein Valkyrie with another of her favourite 'helfs & hounds' photos :wink: . This one was working for the Organisation Todt construction service as the cuff title shows (or is it an armband?). While playing with her puppy 'Strolch' (rascal) conveys an impression quite idyllic the long-barreled artillery Luger dangling from the wall in the left upper corner points to a rather unruly corner of the world.

Best regards
Torsten
OT auxiliary 3 - Zoom.jpg
OT auxiliary 3 - Zoom.jpg (163.6 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
Oh Torsten, I MISSED this one earlier, in looking at the OT Helferin photos you posted below it. Awwwwwwww! What a cutie! She really reminds me of my Brevet as a puppy, right down to the (probably) brown eyebrow dot on the black part of her face. Many, many thanks for posting the picture!

Best,
~FV :wink:

P.S., I should add that the "Helf und Hund" photo in the post just above this one is great too: It looks as if she has a small Spitz or Pomeranian?

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 18 Jul 2010, 09:52

Heimatschuss wrote:This one was working for the Organisation Todt construction service as the cuff title shows (or is it an armband?).
It's what I would call (in American collector parlance) an armband, which were normally worn on the upper arm and not permanently attached to the sleeve. The word cufftitle or cuffband usually refers to a narrower strip sewn onto the cuff of the jacket. (Again, those are just my sense of the way the two words are usually used. And I think that in German, Armband or Ärmelband refers to what I've called a cufftitle?) The band in this picture doesn't seem to be permanently attached, from the turned-over edge in one section. I'm not sure why she's wearing it on the lower sleeve, as it seems it would have gotten in the way of her working. I'd have thought it might have just slipped down from her upper arm, but it seems too snug on her lower arm to have fit properly on her upper arm.

There was an "official" OT cufftitle, at least for males, with the letters O and T on either side of a cogwheel. The band this lady is wearing is probably more in the mode of armbands worn by civilian employees of the military, for example the Im Dienst der Wehrmacht armbands sometimes seen on civilians.

By the way, do you know what the patch on her shirt is?

Best,
~Vikki

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 18 Jul 2010, 17:26

Hello Vikki,

many thanks for your answer. I think the relevant equivalents German vs. English are

Armband - bracelet
Armbinde - armband
Ärmelband - cufftitle

which is quite an invitation for confusion. Armbands indeed are located on the upper sleeve mostly though I know a number of Red Cross photos where they are on the lower sleeve.

The breast patch seems to be a coat of arms similar to that of Brandenburg or Tyrol, more like that of Tyrol due to the shape of the eagle's crown. I've seen similar 'coat of arms' designs on other period fashion photos. They may have been attached just for decorative purposes, to personalize items or sometimes to hide holes mended and dirt spots indelible.

The combination with her turban hat gave me the idea that the woman isn't wearing a work smock but something like a ski jacket or blouson. She appears to have just arrived to work or is ready to go out. (Also it would be difficult to tuck a work smock into the skirt (or trousers).) If it was an armband what she's wearing she might have had it on the lower sleeve while out of office and on the upper sleeve while working. (If it was necessary to wear it in the office at all.)

Best regards
Torsten

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 18 Jul 2010, 17:29

Vikki wrote: P.S., I should add that the "Helf und Hund" photo in the post just above this one is great too: It looks as if she has a small Spitz or Pomeranian?
I'd go for Pomeranian too.

Heimatschuss

Post by Heimatschuss » 21 Jul 2010, 01:07

Surprise, surprise!

Just found some more morsels of information regarding the OT communications service.

The Nachrichtenschule [communications school] of Organisation Todt was located in Kagel, a small village 40 km E of Berlin and 15 km S of Strausberg. There's currently a photo album on offer in Germany showing female participants of a training course there that ran in April/May 1942. So far that's the earliest mention of OT signals auxiliaries I've seen.

According to SHAFE (1945, p. C53) the school was commanded by a man called Ransch in May 1943. The same source names one Ruth Ratay as head of women's work in OT Einsatzgruppe West. Several minor Führerinnen of local importance are also listed.

Most women employed by Organisation Todt just wore their civilian clothes with an OT brassard according to SHAFE (1945, p.138) . The only ones wearing uniform were those in the signals corps. Uniforms of the OT signals auxiliaries had a (dark) blue colour.

Possible female ranks in the communications branch were in descending order according to SHAFE (1945, p. A9):

Nachrichten-Führerin (communications supervisor)
Obernachrichtenmädel (senior girl operator )
Nachrichtenmädel (girl operator)

A very short description of the organisation of an OT communications section can be found at SHAPE (1945, p.84). Interesting is that female OT auxiliaries younger than 21 year were forbidden to be sent to occupied countries. According to SHAPE (1945, p.120) the OT signals auxiliaries were exclusively German.

References:

SHAFE 1945: Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force, Counter-Intelligence Sub-Division: Handbook of the Organisation Todt; London; 1945
Downloadable at http://www.scribd.com/doc/32660645/Hand ... -T-UK-1945

Best regards
Torsten

Heimatschuss

Re: Organisation Todt Helferinnen

Post by Heimatschuss » 25 Jul 2010, 17:57

Hello,

I think the following picture also shows a female OT auxiliary. All features of her uniform are fitting for OT except that she's missing the characteristic white piping on the front fold of the cap crown. But in OT auxiliaries 7.jpg the auxiliary in the background there is also missing it. Seems there were two different types of cap in use. If this is just a variation between production lots, a change in uniform regulations or indicator of different ranks will to to examined.

Source: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... tcount=195

Best regards
Torsten
Attachments
OT auxiliary 11 - probably.jpg
OT auxiliary 11 - probably.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 4972 times

Heimatschuss

Re: Organisation Todt Helferinnen

Post by Heimatschuss » 25 Nov 2010, 21:08

Hello,

the following picture was sold on Ebay Germany some month ago and shows probably an OT Nachrichten-Führerin. The bright piping around the collar is a general indicator for Führerinnen (officers). Also interesting the bright and unusual piping of the Blitz signals patch while her neck brooch appears to be the normal OT type.

If the OT Nachrichten-Führerinnen received a double chevron it's only logical to deduce that the OT-Obernachrichtenmädel had a single chevron as rank insignium. Another interesting element: the legs of the chevrons seem to be slightly curved, something you don't find in other service branches in Germany.
OT auxiliary 12.JPG
OT auxiliary 12.JPG (52.72 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
OT auxiliary 12 - Zoom 1.jpg
OT auxiliary 12 - Zoom 1.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
OT auxiliary 12 - Zoom 2.jpg
She seems to wear a diamond Hitler Youth brooch under her breast pocket too.
OT auxiliary 12 - Zoom 2.jpg (32.77 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
Source: http://www.ebay.de, auction no. 110580482770
Vendor: sogoman
Date: Sept 07th, 2010 22:18:36 hrs CEST

Best regards
Torsten

Return to “Women in the Reich”