Knight's Cross Holders Identification

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 27 Nov 2004, 07:42

Hi Hannes,

I think the EL winner looks a little like Heinrich Paul Otto Borgmann, even though he was not in the Berlin Wacht Battalion.

Cheers
Freiherr

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 27 Nov 2004, 07:51

How about this recipient? Was that the profile of von Bock on the left?

Cheers
Freiherr
Attachments
RK_award.jpg
Karl von Graffen, presented by Kleffel / AHF id
RK_award.jpg (81.69 KiB) Viewed 5458 times

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 27 Nov 2004, 17:39

The RKT posted by Hannes on Page 56 looks like GD's Hptm Bernhard Klemz.

Cheers
Freiherr
Attachments
klemz_maybe.jpg
klemz_maybe.jpg (229.86 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
klemz.jpg
klemz.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 5460 times

Vienna

Post by Vienna » 28 Nov 2004, 16:18

Hi!

UB RKT 3

Could it be Berndt von Döring, at last Generalmajor (from his face and cheeks) ?

Regards
Vienna

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 28 Nov 2004, 21:00

Hi Vienna,

Good guess. Too bad we can't see teh left arm of the GenMj awarding the RK. Doering was a Mj and Kmdr of II/SchutzRgt 79, 10 Pz wgen he won the RT. Hube was a GenMj and Kmdr of the division so it would have been logical enoughfor Hube to be awarding the medal. Everything else seems to fit.

Cheers
Freiherr

nopoop

Post by nopoop » 29 Nov 2004, 06:22

freiherr wrote:Who were they: the NCO from ebay, the Major from Detlev Niemann.

Cheers
Freiherr
The NCO is Fritz Faust. A Gefreiter MG 1 Schütze of the 3./Infanterie Regiment 26. First enlisted soldier in the entire division to recieve the RK.

If you can give me ANY information on what EBay board the photos are being offered or who offered them it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a small grouping of Faust's medals/photos with a copy of the RK award announcement and those two photos would be a FANTASTIC addition.

Buuuleeeeeve me when I tell you this.

I'm on bended knee here Freiherr..

Thanks !!
photo first and second : San.Fw. Willi Pieper / AHF id
nopoop

Attachments
published.jpg
Franz Mosler / AHF id
published.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
photo first.jpg
photo first.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Photo second.jpg
Photo second.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 4586 times

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 29 Nov 2004, 14:37

Hi Nopoop,

Unfortunately these were on E-bay at least a month or so ago. If they ever appear again and I see them, I will let you know. Meanwhile I have fairly good quality jpeg's of them. E-mail me your address and I will send them to you.

Cheers
Freiherr

Denis

Post by Denis » 29 Nov 2004, 19:16

Hello
I am not sure that the 2 last photo of the same guy (as Uffz then Fw.) might be attributed to Fritz Faust.
According to Biblio Verlag, Faust's highest rank was Ogfr. If this point is confirmed, this would prevent us from assigning both pics to Faust.
Regards
Denis

nopoop

Post by nopoop » 30 Nov 2004, 04:46

Denis wrote:Hello
I am not sure that the 2 last photo of the same guy (as Uffz then Fw.) might be attributed to Fritz Faust.
According to Biblio Verlag, Faust's highest rank was Ogfr. If this point is confirmed, this would prevent us from assigning both pics to Faust.
Regards
Denis
Denis finding information has proved difficult. So I'm working from the photo evidence in this case. I'm researching, but so far all I know is he died in 1970.

If you examine the published photo of Faust and concentrate on a few things for comparison. The ears, the broken nose, the furrel between the eye brows, the eyebrows themselves, the lips. The early published photo is before awarding the RK. He's thin..very thin.

The ears are a match, as is the nose. It's the same guy with some weight. I have a very small frontal shot of him standing in the snow and it's a dead ringer for the lighter of the two photos posted ( he wasn't thin )

Another interesting tidbit is both of the newer photos show a black wound badge. The copy of the RK award announcement I have makes reference to receiving a wound on the 6th of February 42. I have no history beyond the awarding of the RK.

What is something to think about is this. He survived the war. As a Ogfr and before he recieved the IK2, IK1, Infrantry Assault badge, Russian Front medal ( probably the Black wound badge ) and the Knights Cross.

I would submit he would have been promoted. ( especially after reading the acts of heroism and leadership he was recognised for in the RK ) I think were looking at two promotion photos. The first no doubt shortly after being awarded the RK.

Something about a no name Feldwebel giving orders to a low rank Obergefreiter that has all that Iron hung on his uniform wouldn't wash in any army that I know of :P

That and every broken nose is different, those photos are of the same nose.

What do you think ??

I'm still diggin, no luck so far. I'll keep you posted.

nopoop

Denis

Post by Denis » 30 Nov 2004, 10:18

Hello
I agree that there are similarities between the known photo of Faust and the 2 other ones. But, they are not "striking".
I will have a look in my copy of Biblio Verlag book this evening to see if his career is documented or not (if he was awarded the Ostmedaille for example or if he was eligible to wear it).
2 other ways to explore in my opinion :
a- what is the small device which is attached to the Uffz/Fw RKT left shoulder strap ? Is it specific to a unit or is it a kind of appointment ? It might worth finding what is it (if it can be linked with Füs.Rgt. 26 or 30. ID, this will narrow the scope of the field)
b- the most difficult way : finding the Uffz/Fw RKT by elimination and based upon the following criteria :
- a RKT from Heer (4771 possible)
- and who was awarded the RK as Uffz or with a lesser rank (505 possible)
- and who was not awarded the RK posthumously (450 possbible)
- and who was awarded the RK between 03/1942 (based on the ostmedaille ribbon) and 04/44 (based on his overseas cap rather than a M43 cap) (174 possible)
- and who didn't belong to a Gebirgsjäger unit (otherwise, he would have worn a Bergmütze or a M43 cap) (165 possible)
I have the full list to the disposal of the courageous members who are ready to carry out this "small" job.
Regards
Denis

Elwyn W

Post by Elwyn W » 01 Dec 2004, 05:24

I am travelling most of next week but give me part of the list. See if I have some pics. I must say I do agree with Denis it does have some resemblance to Faust but it is not convincing enough that it was him.

Cheers
Freiherr

Denis

Post by Denis » 01 Dec 2004, 15:32

D. Löwenhamn wrote:And one more.

Best regards/ Daniel
This one might be Maximilian Reichsfreiherr von Edelsheim. To be confirmed : I based my assumption partly on the facial similarity as well as the Leibhusaren Totenkopf shown being worn by the officer behind the new RKT.
Regards
Denis

Edited : image removed to spare costs
Last edited by Denis on 02 Dec 2004, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 01 Dec 2004, 16:43

Hi Denis. Thank you for the identification. Also, please don't upload images that are already online. Use the img-button function instead or just write the name of the image or post a link. Attachments costs money for Marcus.

Best regards/Daniel

Xavier

Post by Xavier » 01 Dec 2004, 18:26

Image request:
HÜHNER, Werner
Generalleutnant
Ritterkreuz (Knights Cross) 18-04-1943
Deutsches Kreuz in Gold (German Cross in Gold) 19-01-1942

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... r&start=30 lists him as Kommandant des Verteidigungsbereichs Stettin, from 13 March 1945 - 15 April 1945 or 24 Feb 1945 - 13 April 1945 as Festungskommandant

best regards

Xavier
Instandsetzungtrüppfuhrer

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 01 Dec 2004, 18:43

Denis wrote:This one might be Maximilian Reichsfreiherr von Edelsheim. To be confirmed : I based my assumption partly on the facial similarity as well as the Leibhusaren Totenkopf shown being worn by the officer behind the new RKT.
Regards
Denis
What an eye, Denis. Here's another picture of the same award presentation. von Edelsheim and Brakat receiving their KCs on 30 July 1941 (pic from Unser General).
Attachments
edelsh_unser_general.jpg
edelsh_unser_general.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 4844 times

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”