Chinese Nationalist Atrocities in 1911

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Formosan_Hsiao

Post by Formosan_Hsiao » 06 Feb 2005, 15:33

Hi, Mr. Boljonggol(I guess you are a Manchu according to your ID, right?), :)
"Holding a long sword in my hand,
Cut the heads of all the Manchus"
It is only a poem, which can improve nothing. There are many overstating descriptions in the poem. For instance, the greatest and most famous Chinese poet Li Bai once wrote: "My gray hair, with 3000-chang’s long, and my sorrow is just as long as that.”(“Chang” is a kind of long measure in ancient China. 1 chang at that time equals about more than 2 meters.) It was only artistic description in order to express the poet’s own emotion.
Note: The original text of the poem in Chinese is “白髮三千丈,緣愁似箇長”.
(This is taken from a poem by the notorious terrorist Wu Yue, who blew up a passenger train in 1905 in order to kill the five cabinet ministers riding on it. The ministers were not among the several dead but some of their familiy members were killed.)
(1) Who on earth told you that Mr. Wu Yue(吳樾) was a “notorious terrorist”?
In fact, Mr. Wu was honored by Chinese people and government as Brave and fearless Revolutionary pioneer and martyr who would even like to give up his own life for his motherland and people. Of course, the Manchus will not have the same view. Because the Manchus have lost their dominant position and privilege after that revolution.
The following is the objective description of this incident: A man named Wu Yue, he saw throw the Manchu’s court scheme to deceive the people and took a bomb to the train station with the ideal of assassinating the five ministers. Wu Yue disguised himself as an attendant. As he was just about to walk to the five ministers, the train lurched before him. He had no time to drop the bomb before it exploited. None of the five ministers was killed in the blast. Wu Yue, however, was killed in the blast. Wu Yue assassinating attempted shocked the Ching court and the public sentiment was in an uproar. This gave the members of the newly establish United League even greater encouragement and inspired selfless commitment to the revolution to reaches its highest goal.(http://edu.ocac.gov.tw/culture/chinese/ ... 401_08.htm)
After the 1911 Revolution, the Republic of China was established. The memorial meeting of martyr Wu was held ceremoniously in the hall of 桐城試館 in Peking. Famous revolutionary activist Hsu Chien(徐謙), Chang Tai-Yan(章太炎), and Tsai Yuan-Pei(蔡元培) anticipated the meeting. Then, Mr. Wu's coffin was protected and sent back to his hometown, and a grand funeral was held there. In order to commemorate him, the most flourishing street in An-Ching was named Wu Yue street in 1929, Wu Yue Shrine, Wu Yue middle school, and Wu Yue primary school were built in Tung-cheng county. Martyr Wu Yue still lives in the minds of the Chinese people after he passed away for more than twenty years! This is the truth of history.
(2) It is unimportant how Manchu think about Wu Yue. For example, Korean martyr Ahn Jung-Geun(安重根) assassinated Hirobumi Ito(伊藤博文) in Harbin, for Japanese, Ahn may be the so-called terrorist, but for the Korean people, he is a national hero. It is enough.
Attachments
wuyue.jpg
A memorial stamp of Martyr Wu Yue issued in Republic of China(Taiwan)
wuyue.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Last edited by Formosan_Hsiao on 06 Feb 2005, 17:55, edited 4 times in total.

Formosan_Hsiao

Post by Formosan_Hsiao » 06 Feb 2005, 15:46

Both quotes are from: Xinghai Luanzhou Bingjian yu Luanzhou Qiyi
The Chinese name of the book is “辛亥灤州兵諫與灤州起義”, am I right?
Note: "辛亥灤州兵諫與灤州起義" may be translated as "Armed Remonstrance and Uprising in Luanzhou in the year of Hsin-hai"
Thanks to the Internet, I can get some information online about the book published in China.(Click Here)
Please don’t quote the words out of context and garble the original contention of the book “辛亥灤州兵諫與灤州起義” you mentioned above.
The theme of the book is to appraise the Luanzhou uprising in a positive way, not to "reveal" the "war crime" unknown by the people.
On January 3, the Northern Military Government is established in Luanzhou, and they planed to attack the garrison troops in Tientsin and Peking. But the traitor betrayed them. They were defeated by the troops of Ching government on January 5. The uprising leaders were all murdered. How did they commit the so-called “war crime”? Instead, they all died a heroic death. For instance, Bai Ya-yu, the chief of staff, was captured by Manchu’s troop. He said to the officer of Manchu’s troop, “I’m the chief of staff. Kill me if you wish. I have nothing to say.” Then, he said with a smile to the other ordinary officers and men, “I don’t care about my death. But I do worry about you all. Today, you’re the slave of the Manchu, and in future, you all may be the other foreign colonialist’s slave. I really worry about your future.” Though suffering the cruel penalty, he didn’t give up, and said, “I fight for my motherland, and I can even give my own life for the motherland, too!” On the executing ground, the enemy officer forced Bai Ya-yu to kneel down, Bai reprimanded ,“My body can be spitted, my kneel can’t be crooked before the enemy!” At last, the slaughterer of the Ching government cut down one of his leg first, then hung him upside down on the tree and cut down his head.
Source:http://tianjin.enorth.com.cn/system/200 ... 1258.shtml The translation is mine.

Best regards and happy lunar new year to everybody here! :)

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 07 Feb 2005, 18:19

Damas -- You said:
To the moderator: I'm sorry for using this board to talk about this subject. Didn't know where else to start talking about it.
That's okay. Since we're moving away from the subject of war crimes, I've split the thread and sent the "Japan, China and the Manchus" part of the discussion over to the Axis Nations section, where you can continue the discussion at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=70597

futter
Banned

Emperor whipped people

Post by futter » 07 Feb 2005, 22:34

The empress, and emperor whipped tehir servants, in teh 1890s, at least, and terrible at ruinning, the land. I read 100million people died in revolts, and famines in teh 19thcentury, it was aterrible rule, and oppressed China massively. I also read 25million died in teh Chinese famien of teh 1900s, more than all China's famines' too world war two, which is huge, and shwos a insane and wriong for,m of governm,ent

futter
Banned

Chinese Royalist army massacred 32000

Post by futter » 07 Feb 2005, 23:51

Apparentkly teh royalist army massacred 32,000 Chinese Christians, and over 1000 foreigners and 1000 others in 1900, in a failed attempt to attack foreign ideas, they executed at least 10s, probably 1000s in that decade in otehr events, executing men and women fro opposing eth evil stanic emperor, who caused massive faines, in teh 19th cebntury, taht drew nations population down hugely, read teh el nino famines, book on teh subject, allthough uit do not mention 20th cenruryt sadly too

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 08 Feb 2005, 02:55

futter -- Sources, please. See the section rules at: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=53962

BeijingManchuBoxer1900

Re: Chinese Nationalist Atrocities in 1911

Post by BeijingManchuBoxer1900 » 23 Jul 2023, 22:54

Boljonggo wrote:
01 Feb 2005, 11:05
What I will write here are atrocities little know even in China today, not to mention in any other countries. Since both Nationalist and Communist Chinese governments regard themselves as direct followers of the nationalist “revolutionaries” of 1911, these topics effectively become taboo for so many years and remain so even today.
In October and November 1911, when nationalist troops within the Imperial Army rebeled to force the abdication of the ruling Manchu emperor, they fared poorly against the remaining loyalist Imperial troops on the battlefield. However, they were brain-washed by Chinese nationalist anti-Manchu propoganda thus very good at committing terrible atrocities against ethnic Manchus and Mongolians.
In Xi’an, the capital city of Shaanxi Province, the Chinese Nationalist troops attacked that part of the city where the population was exclusively Bannermen (ethnic Manchus and Mongolians), when they took the city, the nationalists plunged themselves into a uncontrolable fit of plundering, raping and killing. When all was ended, over one thousand male Manchus and Mongolians were either killed or committed suicide together with their families. The Manchu population of this ancient city, where they had been living for over two hundred years, were almost wiped out.
In Hangzhou, the capital city of Zhejiang Province, where Bannermen were also stationed almost three hundred years, the local Manchu and Mongolian population decided to surrender after three day’s resistance when they heard about the fate of their Xi’an brethren. When the nationalist troops promised to spare their lives and houses, they believed and opened the gates to their district. However, the troops immediately murdered the Manchu delegates sent to negotiate the surrender (which was headed by the famous local Manchu scholar Guilin) and started killing and pillaging. When another old Manchu scholar, Sizen, was trying to tell the troops about their previous promise, he was immediated cut to pieces by sabres. Cangming, a student, was killed by his fellow nationalist students only because he was an ethnic Manchu. That day, another hundreds of Manchus and Mongolians were killed in Hangzhou alone. Today, one can barely find a single Manchu in that southern metropolis of several million people.
Of all the cities where Bannermen were previously stationed, with the exception of Pekin (the imperial capital city) and Northeastern Provinces where the Bannermen were majorities at the time, they were attacked and murdered ruthlessly. In Jiangning (today Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu Province and another Manchu-free city) local Manchus and Mongolians were murdered in drove, their bodies were collected and buried in 13 mass graves outside of the city.
[Main source: Qing Shigao(Draft History of Qing Dynasty), Biographies Tome 283]
Just want to post multiple things the OP is lying about here.
In October and November 1911, when nationalist troops within the Imperial Army rebeled to force the abdication of the ruling Manchu emperor, they fared poorly against the remaining loyalist Imperial troops on the battlefield. However, they were brain-washed by Chinese nationalist anti-Manchu propoganda thus very good at committing terrible atrocities against ethnic Manchus and Mongolians.
The Manchus in the Eight Banner garrisons WERE part of the "loyalist imperial troops" and they were decisively defeated in the brief battle that erupted which is exactly why the Xi'an garrison fell and why the families of those Manchus were massacred. The Manchu banner troops in Xi'an attempted to resist the revolutionaries at the walls of the garrison but were decisively routed.

The Qing loyalist imperial troops that did well on the battlefield were all non-Banner Han troops under the commands of generals like Yuan Shikai and Cao Kun. Yuan Shikai managed to retake Wuhan and Cao Kun was the one who stopped the revolutionaries from advancing into Hebei from Shaanxi. That's why when Yuan Shikai forced the Qing to abdicate, all pro-Qing activity stopped, the only victorious forces on the Qing side were Han soldiers. The Manchu bannermen could do nothing in 1911.

The Mongols who were attacked were Eight Banner Mongols. The Mongols of Inner and Outer Mongolia however have nothing to do with the Eight Banners and they had no loyalty to the Qing since the Qing conquered Inner Mongolia by force and Outer Mongolia only joined the Qing under threat from the Dzungars.

Also Manchus of the Xi'an garrison took part in the Dzungar genocide and fought against Muslims in Xinjiang.

Both Han and Hui of Xi'an participated in the massacring and rape of Manchus in the quarter there after defeating the Manchus in battle.

michael mills wrote:
04 Feb 2005, 23:18
In Philip Short's biography of Mao Zedong (Mao: A Life) he makes many mentions of the slaughters that often occured when cities switched hands during the warlord years. Warfare was extremely brutal, and it seems the norm was to eliminate as many enemies as possible before they were able to move against you in return.
Interesting.

The Chinese penchant for killing each other undermines Chinese complaints about the killings perpetrated by Japanese forces during their occupation of Chinese territory after 1937.
In Jiangning (today Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu Province and another Manchu-free city) local Manchus and Mongolians were murdered in drove, their bodies were collected and buried in 13 mass graves outside of the city.
Interesting.

Than certainly provides a different perspective on the killings perpetrated in the same place, Nanjing, by Japanese forces in January 1938 (27 years later).

It is noteworthy that Japan, in its aggression against China, always claimed to be "liberating" ethnic Manchus and Mongolians from Chinese domination.

Also note that Michael Mills and the Manchu OP totally fail to mention that a massive slaughter and rape orgy was perpetrated against the Manchus and Eight Banner Mongols in 1900 at the hands of western and Japanese troops.

Beijing's inner city was majority Manchu and Eight Banner Mongol since 1644 when the Han civilian residents were ordered to move out by Dorgon to the outer city.

The Eight Nation Alliance, which included Japan, United States, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, France, Austria-Hungary and Russia absolutely sacked Beijing's inner city in 1900 and went on a months long raping and slaughtering rampage against Manchus there. Manchu women from noble families were kept in siheyuans that were converted into rape brothels by western and Japanese soldiers according to a Japanese journalist who was there.

Western and Japanese troops arrested multiple Manchu officials and officers and had them publicly beheaded in Beijing for supporting the Boxer rebellion. Russian troops also raped and massacred Manchus in the Aigun region of Heilongjiang.

Meanwhile ethnic Han Boxers in Shanxi escaped the Eight Nation alliance occupation.

So its totally dishonest for the OP to claim Manchus thought Japan had good intentions, the Japanese participated in raping and killing Manchus in the Boxer rebellion just 11 years before Han revolutionaries defeated Manchus and massacred and raped them in Xi'an, Taiyuan and Zhenjiang.

Also Xi'an was never occupied by Japan in World War II, all the Han and Hui there are living fine and were never subjected to massacres or rape unlike Manchus who were occupied again by Japanese when Beijing fell in World War II. There were comfort women stations in the inner part of Beijing and Manchu girls were raped by the Japanese again.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”