Contemporary examples of the Wewelsburg sunwheel elsewhere?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Vance Pollock

Contemporary examples of the Wewelsburg sunwheel elsewhere?

Post by Vance Pollock » 19 Mar 2005, 16:11

Are there contemporary or earlier (pre 1946) appearances of the 12-spoked sunwheel from the north tower at Wewelsburg (often called Schwarze Sonnen or the Black Sun) elsewhere?

This emblem was the sigil of Himmler's elite circle of 12 SS Knights.

There are suggestions that it appeared on the tail of planes and on a bunker. Is there any visual evidence to support this?

I would think, if it was used elsewhere it would have been on the private stationary or perhaps ex libris (private library book owner labels/plates) of members of this "round table." I am including a list of members and would like to see samples of their stationary and/or ex libris.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=35819
According to the book 'Heinrich Himmler's Camelot' there were indeed twelve Obergruppenführer's each with rooms decorated after a figure in German history in the Wewelsburg. there is even a surviving example of a coat of arms made for Oswald Pohl, all other designs were destroyed by the SS before the castle was captured by allies. the individual's & their positions were:

1. Karl Wolff (Persönlicher Stab Reichsführer-SS)
2. Gottlob Berger (SS-Hauptamt)
3. Hans Jüttner (SS-Führungshauptamt)
4. Richard Walther Darré (Rasse-und Siedlungshauptamt)
succeeded by
4. Richard Hildebrandt
5. Paul Scharfe (Hauptamt SS-Gericht)
succeeded by
5. Franz Breithaupt
6. Walter Schmitt (SS-Personalhauptamt)
succeeded by
6. Maximilian von Herff
7. Reinhard Heydrich (Reichssicherheits-Hauptamt)
succeeded by
7. Ernst Kaltenbrunner
8. Kurt Daluege (Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei)
9. Oswald Pohl (SS-Wirtschafts-und Verwaltungs-Hauptamt)
10. August Heißmeyer (Dienststelle SS-Obergruppenführer)
11. Werner Lorenz (Hauptamt Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle)
12. Ulrich Greifelt (Hauptamt Reichskommissar für die Festigung Deutschen Volkstums)
Himmler asked his most trusted SS-Gruppenführer and SS-Obergruppenführer to submit designs for family coats-of-arms to be displayed in the Gruppenführersaal at the Wewelsburg. I have seen the surviving shield representing the Wappen of Wilhelm Keppler. Details of some of the coats-of-arms still exists in various personal files of senior SS Generals. The story of the twelve knights eminates from the design of the Gruppenführersaal and the "Valhalla" below. The number twelve is consistent throughout...12 points of the sunwheel swastika design on the floor, 12 windows, 12 columns, 12 archways, 12 pedestals, etc.. Heydrich's widow stated that he put up with his chief's ideas on pagan worship as did many of his other close colleagues. However, there is evidence that some of the senior SS figures believed as Himmler.
The above quoted study of Wewelsburg was actually written by Stuart Russell and not Jost Schneider who was a silent co-author. I recommend it, but it is in German. There is an English version, but distribution is limited.

Knut Hamsun

Bismarck monument in Hamburg

Post by Knut Hamsun » 20 Mar 2005, 12:07

Ahoi Vance Pollock,
as far as I know there exists only one other sunwheel or black sun in the bunker under the Bismarck monument in Hamburg.
Are there contemporary or earlier (pre 1946) appearances of the 12-spoked sunwheel from the north tower at Wewelsburg (often called Schwarze Sonnen or the Black Sun) elsewhere?
I send you an newspaper articel with a photo of the black sun. I`d like to mention that these sunwheel has eight spokes and not twelve!
Kind regards
Knut
Attachments
Schw_sonne_1.jpg
Schw_sonne_1.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

Knut Hamsun

Newspaper articel 19.1.1998

Post by Knut Hamsun » 20 Mar 2005, 12:09

The Bismarck monument in Hamburg.
Attachments
Bismarck_1.jpg
Bismarck_1.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

sauce

Nice Kurt

Post by sauce » 22 Mar 2005, 05:07

Wow, interesting could you please explain what that article is about, Did they just recently discover this underneath Bismark?

thanks

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 24 Mar 2005, 17:59

Check this site out Vance http://www.swastika-info.com/en/klarstellung.php

Look at everything in it. Might find what you are looking for.

It even has pictures from diferente parts of the world with all kinds of swastika motifs/designs. some dating from 6,000 years ago (perhaps more)

Vance Pollock

Post by Vance Pollock » 25 Mar 2005, 05:33

The Wewelsburg sunwheel is not a swastika however...

Here are some early adornment disk designs (ca. 700) worn by Germanic women from the belt as charms.

http://www.goeppingen.kdrs.de/servlet/P ... 08687.html

http://www.jadu.de/mittelalter/germanen ... en_jpg.htm

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”