The son of Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
shot from above

The son of Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel

Post by shot from above » 01 Oct 2002, 02:31

Hello;

I am seeking information on the son of Feldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel. I believe he had a son who was also in the Wehrmacht and that this son became engage to marry a daughter of a prominent Nazi or military personality in the early 1940's.

If anyone is able to provide information on Keitel's son, immediate or extended family it would be most appreciated.

I am researching a document on letterhead printed to Wilhelm Keitel letterhead, however it is dated 1985 (Generalfeldmarschall Keitel was executed in 1946) but the document is handwritten and signed by a "Keitel" with almost the exact same signature as the Feldmarschall. I suspect his son carried on the family tradition and used the same style as his father to sign his own documents.

Thanks in advance for any information you are able to supply.

Cheers;
Russ

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 01 Oct 2002, 02:40

The Keitel family:

Family: Wilhelm Keitel married Lisa Fontaine in April 1909 – three sons (Karl-Heinz, Ernst-Wilhelm, Hans-Georg) and three daughters, one of whom died early from an incurable disease (Nona and Erika). His oldest son, Karl-Heinz, married Dorthea von Blomberg, the daughter of Generalfeldmarschall Werner von Blomberg, in May 1938. His youngest son, Hans-Georg, was severely wounded in the thigh during the 1940 campaign in France. He died on 18 July 1941 in a field hospital after being mortally wounded the day before by a Russian aircraft attack.

Wilhelm Keitel had a younger who also became a general in the German Army:

General der Infanterie Bodewin Keitel
Born: 25 December 1888, Helmscherode/Kreis Gandersheim
Died: 27 July 1953, Göttingen

Regards,
Shawn

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 01 Oct 2002, 02:46

That's younger brother...General der Infanterie Bodewin Keitel. I simply cannot type today!

Regards,
Shawn

shot from above

Son of Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel

Post by shot from above » 01 Oct 2002, 03:35

Hi Shawn;
And thanks so much for the information.
As I understand it, the Generalfeldmarschall had 3 sons, one of whom was named Ernst-Wilhelm after the father.
You note the oldest and youngest sons, so I assume that the son Ernst-Wilhelm was the middle of the 3 sons. You have not made much reference to this fellows history.
The letterhead I have is titled "Ernst-Wilhem Keitel" in Bad Pyrmont, Deutschland and dated 14/1/85. As noted, his signature is near identical to his fathers.
His reply in German is to a collector who was seeking to use his picture in a collection but the younger Keitel refuses sighting that his was not a Ritterkreuz-Träger.
I had a German friend of mine in Germany contact that house in Bad Pyrmont and he spoke to Keitel's widow who was bitter and did not want to talk at all. I assume she still gets a lot of correspondce she does not want. She did say the her husband, the Keitel we are looking for, died 5 years ago, about 1997.
Do you think this is the Generalfeldmarschalls middle son? If so, any idea how to research this chap futher? Do pictures of him exist? Any info you can supply as to his history, your comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks Shawn, that was very good of you to respond.
Cheers;
Russ

Bill Medland

One of Keitels sons

Post by Bill Medland » 01 Oct 2002, 08:21

Hi Russ,
I am in the HIAG waffen-SS veterans group (younger generation member, membership through my father in law), most of the "boys" are former SS-Kavallerie in my group. Fritz Haberstroh (a company commander) who died 3 months ago often told me that they found out what was happening in the war through a fellow officer who was the son of Keitel. Fritz also served as a temp. company commander in a Wehrmacht unit, even though he was Waffen-SS!!!
I would suggest that you look at the history of the Florian-Geyer SS-Kav. Div. and also at the battle of Budapest 1945.
Regards,Bill

AlifRafikKhan

Re: The son of Generalfeldmarschall Wilhelm Keitel

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 03 Jul 2009, 15:37

Here is one of Keitel's son, SS-Sturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Keitel, with Hungarian War Minister, Mariscal Beregfy, December 1944...

Source : http://www.forosegundaguerra.com/viewto ... 2&start=15
Attachments
SS-Sturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Keitel junto al Ministro de Guerra húngaro, Mariscal Beregfy, December 1944.jpg
SS-Sturmbannführer Karl-Heinz Keitel junto al Ministro de Guerra húngaro, Mariscal Beregfy, December 1944.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 15698 times

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 03 Jul 2009, 15:43

And here is Wilhelm Keitel and his brother Bodewin...

Same source as above
Attachments
keitelwilhelmybodewin.jpg
keitelwilhelmybodewin.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 15695 times

Mikko H.

Post by Mikko H. » 04 Jul 2009, 09:54

Interesting bit of trivia found in American Prometheus: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, p. 155: Kaethe Vissering, the mother of Robert Oppenheimer's wife Kitty, was in her youth briefly engaged to a cousin of hers – Wilhelm Keitel.

icarus44

Post by icarus44 » 31 Jan 2010, 17:23

Hello,
Do you still want information on the son of Generalfeldmarschall Keitel ? I was in contact with him . Do need your private emailadress .
Albert

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 01 Feb 2010, 15:54

Icarus, can you PM me about the e-mail address of Keitel's son? Thank you very much in advance! :)

telefant

Post by telefant » 28 Mar 2010, 20:02

hello, i´m also looking for information about Ernst Keitel. i met an old russian lady (she died two years ago), who told me about her relationship with the son of Wilhelm Keitel. she called him "Ernest". She was with him in Berlin bevor and during the war. icarus, do you know anything about it?

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”