Who was/were the successor(s) of Himmler in April/May 1945?

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Michi

Who was/were the successor(s) of Himmler in April/May 1945?

Post by Michi » 27 Nov 2005, 19:27

It might sound hilarious(ly).
But who was/were the successor(s) of Himmler after he was extradicted/expelled from his posts on 29th April 1945.
Was there any successor(s) for the last days of the III. Reich??

MfG Michi

AJK

Post by AJK » 27 Nov 2005, 20:03

Hi,

After expelling Himmler from his position as Reichsfuehrer SS, Hitler named Gauleiter Karl Hanke as his successor.

Regards,

AJK

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 28 Nov 2005, 04:47

and Alfred Wunnenberg was appointed Chief of the German Police on may 45 by Doenitz.

JG

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 28 Nov 2005, 05:33

Yes, and Himmler was fired of all his charges.

Michi

Post by Michi » 28 Nov 2005, 20:16

Thanks for your answers!!!

But Hanke wasn't he sieged in Breslau??
So he might have even less power than the new, but powerless OBdL Ritter von Greim.

As for Alfred Wunnenberg, I haven't herd or read about his name, I wanna look into this
forum for a more detailed info.

MfG Michi

PS:
Sorry to put this start of discussion to a wrong "branch" of this forum.

tigersqn

Post by tigersqn » 28 Nov 2005, 21:28

Michi wrote:Thanks for your answers!!!

But Hanke wasn't he sieged in Breslau??
Luckily for him, he managed to fly out on the last flight in a Storch (?)

AJK

Post by AJK » 28 Nov 2005, 21:51

Translated excerpt from Hitler's last will and testament:

"Before my death, I expel the former Reichsfuhrer of the S.S. and the Minister of the Interior Heinrich Himmler from the party and from all his state officers. In his place I appoint Gauleiter Karl Hanke as Reichsfuhrer of the S.S. and Head of the German Police, and Gauleiter Paul Giesler as Minister of the Interior."

The positions of RFSS and Head of the German Police were both given to Hanke. Alfred Wuennenberg was named Chief of the Ordnungspolizei replacing Kurt Daluege.

AJK

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 29 Nov 2005, 13:28

Use the search forum for Alfred Wunnenberg. Hanke managed to get to near Pilsen before he was killed by partisans, it is not certain whether he ever knew he had been appointed to succeed Himmler
Phil Nix

Samuel Mitcham

Hanke

Post by Samuel Mitcham » 02 Dec 2005, 01:22

Hanke did know he had been appointed Reichsfuehrer-SS, but not until May 5. He flew out of Breslau almost as soon as he learned of his appointment. Sources differ as to whether he flew out in a Storch or a prototype helicopter. In any case, he landed at Hirschberg, where he met with Field Marshal Schoerner. Then, for reasons I have never learned, he flew to Prague. He landed at the airport and drove toward the city, which was in the throes of a revolt. Hanke tried to return to the airport, but the road had been cut by Czech partisans. Hanke then joined a detachment of the 17th SS Panzer Grenadier Division in the uniform of an SS private. This group tried to fight its way back to Germany, but was forced to surrender at Neudorf bei Komotau (now Nova ves, Czech Republic).

Hanke was placed in a POW camp guarded by Czech partisans. Remarkably, no one told them who he was. He knew, however, that he would eventually be betrayed, so he attempted to escape on the morning of June 8. He got out of the fence but a guard shot him in the back as he fled. He was 41 years old at the time of his death.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 02 Dec 2005, 01:25

Thanks for a great post, Dr. Mitcham.

One small correction - Hanke attached himself to the 18.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Horst Wessel" (rather than 17.SS-Pz.Gren.Div. "Götz von Berlichingen").

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”