Should Russia seek apology for soviet war-crimes in germany

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
wildboar

Should Russia seek apology for soviet war-crimes in germany

Post by wildboar » 10 Nov 2002, 17:22

[Moved from the Polls section]

There is no doubt that soviet troops commited many horrific crimes against german civilians in east europe and germany proper under order of nvkd chief nr beria.
Till this date none of soviet war-criminal ever punished and successive soviet government have denied the same.
It is high time that Russia as successor state should seek a apology for what soviet troops did in germany.

Ovidius

Re: Should Russia seek apology for soviet war-crimes in germ

Post by Ovidius » 10 Nov 2002, 17:41

wildboar wrote:It is high time that Russia as successor state should seek a apology for what soviet troops did in germany.
Dream on.... :D :D :D

~Ovidius

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 10 Nov 2002, 19:41

Great Poll! Absolutely, Russia should apologize and the one who are still alive should be trial as war criminal for what they did against the German population in 1945.
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 30 Nov 2002, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 10 Nov 2002, 21:19

Benoit Douville wrote:Great Poll! Absolutely, Russia should apologise and the one who are still alive should be trial as war criminal for what they did against the German population in 1945.
You're kidding, right?

~Ovidius

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 10 Nov 2002, 21:42

Ovidius,

If you don't have anything better to add than "You're kidding, right?" and "Dream on" to this thread, I suggest you don't post anything at all it it, rather than waste space with such nonsense.

/Marcus

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 10 Nov 2002, 21:50

Ovidius,

I am serious. Why do you have doubt?
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 24 Sep 2005, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

anttii

Post by anttii » 10 Nov 2002, 22:14

I agree. Maybe they should also apologize the Finnish civil victims of partisans too.

Ovidius

Post by Ovidius » 10 Nov 2002, 22:23

Marcus Wendel wrote:If you don't have anything better to add than "You're kidding, right?" and "Dream on" to this thread, I suggest you don't post anything at all it it, rather than waste space with such nonsense.
Isn't an even bigger nonsense the idea that a victor country in WWII could be made to pay for her citizens' crimes, in the light of what happens nowadays in the world?

Victors decide and losers pay. This is how it works.

~Ovidius

Scanderbeg

Post by Scanderbeg » 10 Nov 2002, 23:14

Ovidius wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:If you don't have anything better to add than "You're kidding, right?" and "Dream on" to this thread, I suggest you don't post anything at all it it, rather than waste space with such nonsense.
Isn't an even bigger nonsense the idea that a victor country in WWII could be made to pay for her citizens' crimes, in the light of what happens nowadays in the world?

Victors decide and losers pay. This is how it works.

~Ovidius
Like it or don't people, that's absolutely true. Sad, unjust, but true.
So wildboar, I think you should have added another option:Russia should not apologize despite their crimes.

Besian

Joshua Keppler

Post by Joshua Keppler » 11 Nov 2002, 12:51

Well, the problem is a little bit complicate. If some Ukrainian, or Bielorussian soldiers (that served under the USSR Red Army) savagely raped a woman, or killed some innocent citizens, it would be very difficult to put the nowadays Russian government to apologize for them.

However, I think that ALL the nations involved (no matters that they are victorious or losers of the WW II) should apologize in public for the warcrimes committed by their troops. And this involves Russia, too. It's just a matter of minimum decency. It is not hard at all for any leader of any country to waist 20 seconds of his life, in order to read a statement of apologies.

WTW26

Post by WTW26 » 29 Nov 2002, 11:31

I voted second. I'm not saying the Russian troops haven't done anything wrong, but a war is a war, and if the Soviets committed crimes on German population they had the right to do so, because the Germans did the same (and much worse) with the Russian population. Aug' für Aug', Zahn für Zahn. However, I'm against the Soviet War Memorial in Berlin, as well as Axis war memorials in Russia (huge complexes, in comparison with which the Russian memorials look very small and insignificant, as if the Axis and not the USSR had won the war). The war is over and our peoples should forgive each other and not remind of the atrocities of the past.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 29 Nov 2002, 11:43

Joshua Keppler wrote:Well, the problem is a little bit complicate. If some Ukrainian, or Bielorussian soldiers (that served under the USSR Red Army) savagely raped a woman, or killed some innocent citizens, it would be very difficult to put the nowadays Russian government to apologize for them.

However, I think that ALL the nations involved (no matters that they are victorious or losers of the WW II) should apologize in public for the warcrimes committed by their troops. And this involves Russia, too. It's just a matter of minimum decency. It is not hard at all for any leader of any country to waist 20 seconds of his life, in order to read a statement of apologies.
Actually according to Oleg the Ukrainian and Belorussian soldiers were some of the most brutal. Of course we can figure out why fairly easy by just looking at German occupation of their homes.

At any rate the Soviet Union is no longer around, and the second question is LOADED completely by our local gremlin Wildboar.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 29 Nov 2002, 13:43

I voted for the first option - I am, without exception, of the view that it is both neccessary and right for all parties to acknowledge in some form any misdeeds they were responsible for, otherwise it will become much more difficult to indeed let past be past and get on with the future. This goes also for nations who were by and large victims. It should not be impossible to word such an apology in a way that reflects the overall situation. There is absolutely no problem connected with the fact that the Soviet Union no longer exists. Russia is formally the successor state to the USSR, and so carries all of the USSRs commitments and prerogatives.

cheers

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 29 Nov 2002, 23:46

Friedrich Kleist,

I think we should never forget what happened in the past with all the atrocities commited by Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union. You said also that the Red Army commited atrocities because they had the right to do so??? Uh? Can you explain it please. And believe me, what the Red Army did in East Prussia in early 1945 against the German population was very brutal.

Regards

Robert Zeller

Wars War

Post by Robert Zeller » 30 Nov 2002, 02:22

Russia in specific should not apologize, every country did what it thought it had to do, it would be nice if every country wanted to apologize for the crimes it committed, but just the Soviet Union? and Just in Germany? now don't get me wrong, anyone on this forum who know's me know's that I am incredably nationalistic towards Germany, and even the Reich, but that would only be part of the picture, a much larger picture

(however, if the Russian's really wanted to mend fences, they could give Germany back East Prussia, but I don't believe for a second Russians like Germany anymore then I like Russia, or the Soviet Union, Id like to take East Prussia back by force, but that's getting off the topic)

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”