Gaptured German documents in Russian arhives

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Rostislav

Gaptured German documents in Russian arhives

Post by Rostislav » 09 Oct 2006, 16:25

In the Russian archives there are many documents grasped in Germany or grasped the after German units destruction.

These documents are in:

1) the Central archive of the Ministry of Defence. Unfortunately access to the grasped German documents is very difficult. I do not know that there is.

2) the Russian state military archive. Here private affairs the soldier and officers of Germany are stored, also their identity(military) cards here are stored. There are also their letters and diaries. In this section it is stored almost 4000 archival
Affairs. (1938-1945)
Here Herman Goering's personal funds , Godes Otto, Edward Metz (the commander 5 tank divisions) and others are stored. Also - documents of fortified cities (sity-fortress) which were in Germany in 1945. In this archive there is a service which works with researchers. Very long term of expectation of your copies. Sometimes you wait for a copy almost year. Now I work in this archive above my theme.

3) the Russian archive of documentary photographs. It is a lot of photos which are grasped in Germany.

There are grasped German documents and in some museums of Russia.

The working costs in archives and cost of the order of copies for foreign researchers are high. For example in one of museums working costs in funds - 25 USD for a business hour.

AMVAS

Re: Gaptured German documents in Russian arhives

Post by AMVAS » 11 Oct 2006, 14:09

I have some ideas, where captured foreign records are stored, but I still have no access to them... It's somewhat difficult....

Regards,
Alex

Rostislav

Post by Rostislav » 16 Oct 2006, 15:15

Today I called in archival service of Armed forces of Russia.
To me have told, that for reception of the admission it is necessary to present the application and the plan of your research. After that you receive the information on presence in archive of documents which you interest.
They already unclassified, them it is possible to copy and do extracts of them.
I hope, participants of this forum will use opportunities to work in archives of Russia.
I shall order materials 45 infantry divisions. About results I shall tell.

Return to “Archives”