My IMHO Opnition about German Africa campaign

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Jarkko Hietala

My IMHO Opnition about German Africa campaign

Post by Jarkko Hietala » 01 Jun 2006, 15:50

I think it was mistake to send two panzer divisions to Africa as military sense as Italian and German navies were not able to supply the troops in the long run and those divisions could have been used at eastern front.

One way German troops at Africa was excellent idea it provided Germans good propaganda material along with non-aggression pact and invasion at Norway that German is going to wage war against UK and they were good feint moves to bluff Stalin at eve of Operation Barbarossa and they worked perfectly.

fredleander

Re: My IMHO Opnition about German Africa campaign

Post by fredleander » 01 Jun 2006, 16:43

Jarkko Hietala wrote:I think it was mistake to send two panzer divisions to Africa as military sense as Italian and German navies were not able to supply the troops in the long run and those divisions could have been used at eastern front.

One way German troops at Africa was excellent idea it provided Germans good propaganda material along with non-aggression pact and invasion at Norway that German is going to wage war against UK and they were good feint moves to bluff Stalin at eve of Operation Barbarossa and they worked perfectly.
In my opinion it would have made sense if they had taken Gibraltar first. Which was very feasible winter/spring '41. Particularly if the Germans and Italians had cooperated. Operations in North Africa then could have met with more success.

Jarkko Hietala

Post by Jarkko Hietala » 01 Jun 2006, 17:14

leandros wrote:In my opinion it would have made sense if they had taken Gibraltar first. Which was very feasible winter/spring '41. Particularly if the Germans and Italians had cooperated. Operations in North Africa then could have met with more success.
Hitler negotiated with Spanish Franco but Franco wanted German to arm whole Spanish army and air force with modern weapons as well as huge piles of food for granting passage to German troops.

In the end Hitler said that he would rather to have dentist to pull out his teeth than go to negotiate with Franco again.

Arming Spain would have mend lots of less German divisions at eastern front.

Spain was in economically ruins from Spanish civil war so they did not want war and economical blockade of UK and Allies.

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 01 Jun 2006, 17:33

Jarkko Hietala wrote:Hitler negotiated with Spanish Franco but Franco wanted German to arm whole Spanish army and air force with modern weapons as well as huge piles of food for granting passage to German troops.

In the end Hitler said that he would rather to have dentist to pull out his teeth than go to negotiate with Franco again.

Arming Spain would have mend lots of less German divisions at eastern front.

Spain was in economically ruins from Spanish civil war so they did not want war and economical blockade of UK and Allies.
I know but in my opinion they could have taken Gibraltar without assistance of Franco or use of Spanish territory. If you ask me they started in the wrong end of the Med.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”