MP34

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
phlarris

MP34

Post by phlarris » 25 Jul 2006, 22:18

First post, so please go easy on me.

Saw these 2 on a website. They seem to be be subtely different (see the top of the receiver).

Any ideas what the difference is, and what it says about the models?

Thanks

Phil
Attachments
mp34_1.jpg
mp34_1.jpg (15.47 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
mp34_2.jpg
mp34_2.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

ce44

Post by ce44 » 26 Jul 2006, 09:44

hello Phlarris!
hahaaa, the Rolls-Royce of subguns 8-) !

The first one is the Steyr-Solothurn M1930 in 9mm Steyr with safety arrangement in front of the trigger guard. on some early models , the stock design is different on the cheek zone.

The second one is the standard MP-34 (ö) in 9mm Mauser & 9x19 with the slide safety on top of the receiver wich have to be grasped and pushed forward to lock the bolt in open or closed position.
hope this help you!

Amicalement,
Jean

hchris

Post by hchris » 26 Jul 2006, 17:05

Excellent pictures, thanks a lot for sharing!

phlarris

Post by phlarris » 26 Jul 2006, 18:05

I have thank http://www.dwsuk.com for the photos. I've just had the 2nd one delivered, and am really pleased...

Maybe I'll post some pics of my othe guns on some time.

The collection is growing, just not quickly enough :-)

regards

Phil

DBURLEY

FULL ATUO IN THE UK?

Post by DBURLEY » 26 Jul 2006, 20:50

Did I read that last post right? You can possess a full automatic weapon in the UK?

Dean Burley, USA

pzrwest

mp34

Post by pzrwest » 26 Jul 2006, 22:21

If not mistaken I think he is referring to dewatts

phlarris

Portugese Crest on MP34.

Post by phlarris » 27 Jul 2006, 22:40

That's right. Unfortunately it's a dewat, but old spec, so it hasn't been too badly butchered.

I know the feelings regarding de-activated weapons, but here in the UK, it's the only (legal) way to own any weapon that isn't either .22, shotgun or single shot rifle.

Another queston for any of you out there...

The gun that I have bought has a Portugese crest, and a date of 1942. Along with these are a number of Waffenampts.

Why would the gun have been produced with a Portugese crest this late in the war? I could understand it if it were from the late 30s, but that late in the war, the German's must have owned the Steyr factory. One other option is that the crest was added later in (or after) the war.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks (especially to Jean for the great reply).

Phil

ce44

Post by ce44 » 28 Jul 2006, 09:21

hello Phlarris!

These guns were part of some commercial contracts wich include for exemple K98k from Mauser Oberndorf purchased by the Portuguese government prewar and during.

these guns where military inspected & proofed by the Waffenamt like all others.

Some where not shipped to there purchasers because of shortages of production during the war and issued to Werhmacht... perhaps yours is one of these 8-)

Due to the commercial origine, all these guns were extremely well finished, even in comparison with the prewa & early war finish and the stocks are "ass skin" polished walnut :lol:

I have plan to buy a 1941 live one last year but lost it due to our f*****g new gun laws... :(

Amicalement,
Jean.

PS: In my first reply, you have certainly noted that I' ve inverted the order of the pics...

phlarris

Post by phlarris » 02 Aug 2006, 19:01

A belated thank-you (to Jean and all)

The gun is really nice. Shame it's been de-activated, but it's really nice to be able to see and handle one up-close-and-personal as it were.

I am really quite surprised that the Germans/Austrians were is a position to be able to export guns at such a stage in the war. I would have thought that they would have needed all the weapons that they could produce. However, as you said, the guns are really nicely made, none of the deterioration in quality that can be seen woth other later war weapons.

As in one of my other posts, I'm now looking for instructions on how to fully strip the gun (as far as is possible).

Regards to all.

Phil

Return to “Small Arms”