Sepp Dietrich declaring support for Rommel on July 17

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
wheelsofterror

Sepp Dietrich declaring support for Rommel on July 17

Post by wheelsofterror » 26 Oct 2006, 05:43

Greetings to all WW2 history buffs. I have read in several different books the following exchange between Sepp Dietrich and Rommel during the height of the Normandy battle. Rommel: "Would you obey my orders, even if they contradicted the Fuhrer's orders?" Sepp Dietrich: "You're the boss Herr Feldmarschall, I obey only you, whatever it is you're planning". A fairly remarkable statement if true. The original source is David Irvings book 'Trail of the Fox' biography of Rommel on page 380 of the '77 edition. David Irving maintains his source was a post war interrogation report of somebody who was at the meeting, but say's he has 'forgotten' who. Does anybody know who this witness was, and if it is a factual record?
Mark.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 26 Oct 2006, 16:47

I belive that witness was Hauptman Helmuth Lang,Rommel's adjutant.

Cheers/Juha

wheelsofterror

Post by wheelsofterror » 28 Oct 2006, 00:31

What makes you believe that? Where did you read that? David Irving said that the witness was another General. I think most people say Helmuth Lang because it appears that way in Irving's book, but it seems that nobody has actually tried to find out which interrogation report the statement is made in.
Mark.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 28 Oct 2006, 05:28

I recommend read carefully Irving, is not a good source or a serious historian research.

Y me disculpa Mr. Irving -si logra leerme- bien sabe que Ud., no es historiador, es un "militante".

Best regards,

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 28 Oct 2006, 12:24

Rommel: "Would you obey my orders, even if they contradicted the Fuhrer's orders?"

Sepp Dietrich: "You're the boss Herr Feldmarschall, I obey only you, whatever it is you're planning"
Even if we assume that this did happen, words mean nothing. If push came to shove Sepp Dietrich would have been loyal to his Fuhrer.

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 Oct 2006, 13:15

Helly Angel wrote:I recommend read carefully Irving, is not a good source or a serious historian research.

Y me disculpa Mr. Irving -si logra leerme- bien sabe que Ud., no es historiador, es un "militante".

Best regards,
Helly,
I have to disagree with you. Regardless of his misguided political beliefs, I think Irving is/was an excellent historian. His research has always been extremely thorough and I believe it's his interpretation of his findings that is at fault.
Max.

Boby

Post by Boby » 28 Oct 2006, 13:29

I agree with Max. Irving's reasearch are impressive.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 28 Oct 2006, 18:21

wheelsofterror wrote:What makes you believe that? Where did you read that? David Irving said that the witness was another General. I think most people say Helmuth Lang because it appears that way in Irving's book, but it seems that nobody has actually tried to find out which interrogation report the statement is made in.
Mark.
Hello

In Messenger's Hitler's Gladiator p.132 has the following:

"On 17 July,the discussion was taken a stage further when Rommel visited Dietrich once more.According to Rommel's ADC Helmuth Lang,who witnessed the conversation,Rommel sought Sepp's reaction to the possibility of opening up negotiations with the Allies,presumably with the idea of closing down the fighting in the West so that the Germans could concentrate all their efforts on repelling the Russians.Panzer Meyer,who was also present recalled Rommel saying:'Something has to happen! The war in the West has to be ended!' Dietrich then shook Rommel's hand and declared: 'You're the bos,Herr Feldmarschall.I obey only you-whatever it is you're planning.'

Cheers/Juha

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 30 Oct 2006, 16:46

This conversation between Dietrich and Rommel is also mentioned in

Remy, Maurice Philip: Mythos Rommel, List München 2004, p. 284-287.

My 2 Eurocents.

wheelsofterror

In reply to Potsdamerplatz

Post by wheelsofterror » 02 Nov 2006, 00:16

I think that when automatically assume Sepp Dietrich would have had unconditional loyalty to Hitler you are wrong. You are reducing Sepp Dietrich to a historical cardboard cutout. Remember that in the Third Battle of Kharkov the entire SS Panzerkorps (of which 'Leibstandarte' under Sepp was a part) disobeyed direct orders from Hitler and instead followed Manstein. Also in the Normandy battle Sepp was openly critical of Hitler's command style.
Mark.
Last edited by wheelsofterror on 02 Nov 2006, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”