identity of units at San Giovanni - 01/02 Sept. 44

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
stefan von ditner

identity of units at San Giovanni - 01/02 Sept. 44

Post by stefan von ditner » 03 Nov 2006, 15:08

Can anyone confirm the precise identity of German units at San Giovanni on 01/02 Sept/44?

I am finding references to fallschirmjager/tanks at crossing of Conca River north of the village.

Would like to nail down exactly what regiments from FJ Div. and same for tanks.

Thanks

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 04 Nov 2006, 23:21

Hi Stefan
I have got just some dates for what I think you mean be San Giovanni (in Marignano), west of Cattolica town.
All the area 1/2 sept was held by 4th Rgt Fschjg (maybe also 3rd) with the rear support of 508 (VI-Tigre Pz.) and one unit of 162. Turkmenian Inf. Div. On the right side troops of 26 Panzer Div.
4th R. Fschjg was hardly reduced (almost destroyed) in a strong defence of rear-guard.
San Giovanni was entered night 1/2 sept by Sqd. "D" of Recce Rgt of Royal Canadian Dragoons who first crossed the Conca river, while others were holding the area: Lanark and Renfrew Scottish Rgt of Canada, Westminster Rgt and 3rd armoured Rgt armoured cars of Governor General's Horse Guards.

I have no more specific data at moment.

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 04 Nov 2006, 23:33

Hi again
under my nose casually the report of Deutsches Historisches Institut in Rom that gives the presence in Sann Giovanni of Regt 3/1st Div Fschjg and Stab RgtE from aug to oct 1944
bye

stefan von ditner

FJ Regiments/Correct reference to 162nd Inf. Division

Post by stefan von ditner » 05 Nov 2006, 16:06

Oasis:

Thanks for your help on this. I had some of the info. you have graciously provided via captured German documents available from the Canadian Army's "AHQ Reports".

I was not certain precisely how far west 3rd FJ Regt. extended. Though all of the units are listed, there was no map I could consult that showed boundaries.

I am curious about your spelling of 162nd Division's title: "Turkmenian". All Allied reports I have seen list it as "Turkoman". Which is German designation?

Grazie!

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 06 Nov 2006, 12:36

Hi Stefan
I haven't been able of founding correct boundaries for the area in question: my info comes from "A. Montemaggi, Linea Gotica 1944, Rimini 2002".
If you like I could try to find some more from the author and his Museum, perhaps he has some detailed maps.
"Turkomann" is the correct german, Turkmeno and Turcomanno are synonims in italian.

Regards

stefan von ditner

FJ Units at San Giovanni etc.

Post by stefan von ditner » 06 Nov 2006, 19:46

Oasis:

Thanks again for your help. I believe I have seen the website belonging to the author you refer to. It contained a number of items recovered from the ground around the various positions of the Gothic Line. Fascinating stuff. I have always found the relics more interesting than the museum pieces.....

The map is not crucial. I should explain that I am working on a book that covers three basic topics:

-Cdn Army in Sicily and Italy
-A relative's letters and service records (he was killed at Naviglio Canal in Jan. 45)
-War diaries of 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards (originally 1st Infantry Division's Reconnaissance Regiment but
converted to infantry in July of 44).

Cheers

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 19 Jan 2007, 18:47

Hi Stefan
I'd be grateful to you if you could avvise me of any citation about villages of Cattolica, Riccione, Gabicce and Gradara in your documents. These villages/towns are near San Giovanni and I am interested in writing a reconstruction of the passage of front in that area (where I was born).

Cheers

Oasis

stefan von ditner

Afforementioned Villages

Post by stefan von ditner » 20 Jan 2007, 02:37

Oasis:

I use two primary sources for my "skeleton" and then go back in and fill it in using a wide variety of books and web sources.....

The villages you refer to are mentioned in Lt. Colonel Nicholson's "Canadians In Italy" Official Canadian Army Historical Account. They are also mentioned in the "Canadian Military Headquarters Reports" which can be found on the web by typing in "CMHQ Reports". There are also German archival documents on this site, under "AFHQ Reports".

Beyond that, the official history of the 4th PLDG (My dead uncle's regiment) and Dancock's "D-Day Dodgers" also covers this period and location in the fighting.

Hope this addresses your query. Happy to help if I am able.

Salud!

Oasis

Post by Oasis » 20 Jan 2007, 09:49

Thanks Stefan
I'll get in touch with you again in case of need.
The same for you for what I can be of help.

Ciao

BC Canada

Re: identity of units at San Giovanni - 01/02 Sept. 44

Post by BC Canada » 15 Sep 2021, 08:04

I know I am late to this post, but I have a Canadian Defence overlay of this area dated Aug 20 1944 showing the German positions in the area

Oasis

Re: identity of units at San Giovanni - 01/02 Sept. 44

Post by Oasis » 14 Nov 2021, 16:26

BC Canada, is possible to get a copy?
Thanks
Toni

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”