Minefields in Italy

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
LZ X-ray

Minefields in Italy

Post by LZ X-ray » 26 Nov 2002, 09:18

Does anybody know if there are areas in Italy that have landmines left over from WW2? I know that the Germans had some highly fortified defensive lines that incorpated landmines. Were all of these areas de-mined after the war? Has anyone heard any stories of leftover mines going off after the war? Thanks for your input. I am a treasure-hunter hobbyist and a :) hiker, who likes travelling in Italy.

FB

Post by FB » 26 Nov 2002, 10:57

Hi,

No, i haven't heard of any mine field left over from WWII and/or mines went off. On the other hand it is becoming quite usual (once or twice a year) that WWII Allied unexpolded bombs from air force bombings are found during digging works. When this happens, the area is cleared from its inhabitants, roads and railways passing nearby are closed and if the bomb cannot be safely unprimed in the place and removed, it is blown on the place by means of dynamite exploding near it.

If you are a hicker who likes travelling in Italy, and you are a treasure hunter, you should try to make some excursions in the Stelvio-Ortler area: plenty of WWI stuff there. Be aweare, though, that it could be VERY dangerous.

Regards

Luca

Post by Luca » 26 Nov 2002, 11:28

Dear LZ X-ray,

I live in the high mountains of the white war teathers of I WW.
The search of items is common for "hunters" from "flats lands".
Cause much stupids actions of no pratic searchers and they actions concern the system of search all these type of search are unlegal in Italia.

For II WW is the same and cause i have much friends with a GREAT pratica of this type of research but without an hand or with the face destroyed i hope that You no take any type of help informations for Your hunt of mines.

with friendly
Luca

LZ X-ray

I'm not looking for mines

Post by LZ X-ray » 26 Nov 2002, 19:29

Luca,
Thanks very much for the info. Please understand that I'm not LOOKING for mines or any other kinds of munitions. I actually have the idea to avoid these things. The treasures that I seek are much older and tend not to explode.

Luca

Post by Luca » 27 Nov 2002, 00:06

Dear LZ X-ray,
In Italy the research of bellic souvenirs is no legal but, in some case, tollerate.

What is REALLY unlegal and with strong penal punitons is the reasearch of "much older" trasures. :P

with friendly

:D Luca 8)

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”