"Reminder: Post Your Sources": Comments

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Matt Gibbs

"Reminder: Post Your Sources": Comments

Post by Matt Gibbs » 05 Dec 2006, 19:16

Moderator's note: This thread was split from the original sticky at http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=112047

I know about contests from the Awards section. I am frequently amazed by questions about really high end items from bargain basement polish fleamarkets ;) You only have to say you think its suspect to be then finding yourself knee deep in author quotes to persuade someone not to waste their money!
Very good points. I hope we can all adhere to them!
Here is one for you if you collect badges - see how many online references to fire gilding there are, then provide me with a period reference to confirm it.
ttfn
Matt Gibbs

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 06 Dec 2006, 20:17

Citing of sources of information is not only a basic "given" of sound research, but a sign of respect--and legally required recognition--of the intellectual work of the author of your information. And it is required here, as in other research sections of the Forum.
Indeed. A fact thats more insisted upon in this section than the others and adhered to in this section better than others, making this section amongst the most interesting on the forum 8-)
Also, from the same thread, posters who'd like to have their research and thoughts taken seriously should consider this, on how an unsourced post is viewed by serious readers:
This only works to a point because human nature means someone will always disagree with what is written, regardless of where the source is from, as we have recently experienced within this section and have seen in other sections. Academics with years of research experience disagree with each other - if everyone agreed with what a poster or even moderator wrote it would make for a very biased thread. I prefer using as many sources as possible for this reason so people can then make their own mind up if I wrote something worth noting or something utterly rubbish. Its a shame this has resulted in a negative clash with a moderator in my case as that was not my intention :(

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 06 Dec 2006, 20:21

Matt Gibbs wrote:I know about contests from the Awards section. I am frequently amazed by questions about really high end items from bargain basement polish fleamarkets ;) You only have to say you think its suspect to be then finding yourself knee deep in author quotes to persuade someone not to waste their money!
Never was a truer word spoken Matt. I have inherited a SS bullion sleeve patch. Because I have no interest in the SS I posted macro photos of it on collectors forums to ask people for their opinion. 50% say its genuine, and 50% say its a fake :? What do you do in such a case?

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 06 Dec 2006, 21:11

Hehe!
Well, take into accout where it came from and what your gut reaction was, how much it costs and what you feel from looking/smelling/touching/testing, thats all we can all do.
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 06 Dec 2006, 22:06

ancasta wrote:
Matt Gibbs wrote:I know about contests from the Awards section. I am frequently amazed by questions about really high end items from bargain basement polish fleamarkets ;) You only have to say you think its suspect to be then finding yourself knee deep in author quotes to persuade someone not to waste their money!
Never was a truer word spoken Matt. I have inherited a SS bullion sleeve patch. Because I have no interest in the SS I posted macro photos of it on collectors forums to ask people for their opinion. 50% say its genuine, and 50% say its a fake :? What do you do in such a case?
Remember that many of those who say it is a fake only do so out of jealousy because they don't own such a fine item. :wink: :P

Best regards.

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 08 Dec 2006, 22:12

PP!
Thats so true. In that case my friends $35 golden party badge must be real! LOL
This kind of envy feeling does go a long way to explain some collectors who must have it all, and lash out when corrected or if someone says something they do not like. Its the same in the reenacting world I am in ;)
ttfn
Matt

ancasta

Post by ancasta » 09 Dec 2006, 02:07

You folks are great :D

I'm going to resend the photos to someone else. I can email them if anyone is interested in looking at them. At the moment I dont know what to do with it (were it real) - keep it as a future investment or sell it now to someone who will look after it and treasure it.

On the other hand I love it when I see one of those awfull brass copies of a Marinehelferin pin listed as 'Genuine!!' or 'Rare!!'.

Return to “Women in the Reich”