Nuremberg for germans only?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
ziggy wiseman

Nuremberg for germans only?

Post by ziggy wiseman » 07 Apr 2002, 16:40

As far as i know,there were only Germans on Nuremberg 's trial.
Where others war criminals charged by their own countries?

Fred

Post by Fred » 07 Apr 2002, 21:05

Vidkun Quisling (Norway) charged and shot.

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 07 Apr 2002, 21:21

Vidkun Quisling was convicted in "Eidsivating lagmannsrett" a Norwegian court. He was later shot at Akershus fortress in Oslo. He was "only" charged for collaborism, not warcrimes. That made it a Norwegian matter only.

EE

ziggy wiseman

criminals

Post by ziggy wiseman » 08 Apr 2002, 01:00

Anybody knows about italians?

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 08 Apr 2002, 02:04

U.S. G.I.'s who committed warcrimes, be they murder or rape, were summarily tried before a court-martial convened at the courts discretion. There were 52 U.S. servicemen convicted and shot for various warcrimes (and only one, Eddie Slovik, was shot for the crime of desertion)

Before any servicemen had a death sentence carried out Gen. Eisenhower had to personally okay the sentence. There were many others who Eisenhower commuted to life in prison.

ziggy wiseman

criminals

Post by ziggy wiseman » 08 Apr 2002, 02:30

Very interesting,Dan,i didn't know there's been U.S. soldiers convicted.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 08 Apr 2002, 02:34

Your not alone Ziggy, you won't read about it in any books by Tom Brokaw. However, considering the millions who served in WWII the percentage is quite small actually. And there will be criminals in any large group of people, along with heroes you have your shirkers, rapists and child molesters too.

Steven Ambrose devoted a chapter to these types in "Citizen Soldiers"
(And who said he was jingoistic?) :lol:

Dan

Post by Dan » 08 Apr 2002, 03:24

I understand a Black American raped and murdered the mayor of Vienna's daughter. He was hung. Then there were the Russian Military Tribunals which tried collaborators. The French also had their own tribunals. The British hung lots of people, inclluding German business men who commited no crimes.

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 08 Apr 2002, 13:06

Dan wrote:I understand a Black American raped and murdered the mayor of Vienna's daughter. He was hung. Then there were the Russian Military Tribunals which tried collaborators. The French also had their own tribunals. The British hung lots of people, inclluding German business men who commited no crimes.
Hi Dan,

You're not thinking of your friend Bruno Tesch, the manufactures and supplies of Zyklon B, are you?

We have discussed this issue on the thread

Uh, gulp, need some help for teenage sons
http://pub3.ezboard.com/fskalmanforumfr ... =1&stop=20

of the old forum, and another thread I don't remember right now.

I have no doubt that Tesch was guilty of the charges of assistance to murder brought against him. My question is: Was he any more guilty than a manufacturer of infantry rifles and machine guns which at the Eastern Front were used both in combat and to shoot innocent civilians into ditches and pits? Was he more guilty than any other manufacturer of weapons and other lethal devices who knows or should know that these are being used for homicide?

Cheers,

Roberto

Dan

Post by Dan » 08 Apr 2002, 15:52

Hi Roberto. I was thinking of him but primarly of Karl Weinbacher, whom as you know the judge said there was no evidence either oral or written that he knew that one third of one percent of the Zyklon sold in Germany was used to kill Jews.

Dan

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 08 Apr 2002, 16:14

Dan wrote:Hi Roberto. I was thinking of him but primarly of Karl Weinbacher, whom as you know the judge said there was no evidence either oral or written that he knew that one third of one percent of the Zyklon sold in Germany was used to kill Jews.

Dan
Weinbacher, poor guy. Still, I see nothing wrong with the reasoning the the Prokurist of a German company knows at least as much about the company's affairs as the owner - that's just the way it is under German commercial law and in business practice.

The essential issue, as I see it, is that the conduct of Tesch and Weinbacher was no more and no less imoral and criminal than that of the average manufacturer of weapons of mass destruction who knows that his products are as likely as not to be used for murdering large numbers of innocents. Why, after what happened in Rwanda in 1994 you might even consider anyone who sells machetes to that country a potential accomplice to mass murder. Or, for that matter (although on a smaller scale), anyone who sells chainsaws to Colombians ...

Dan

Post by Dan » 08 Apr 2002, 16:26

Chainsaws? Really? I fell on one once and cut through my achelles tendon. Ouch. BTW, that letter about antiFreespeech laws you sent out has begun bearing fruit, even in Portugal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

8)
Luego

Roberto

Post by Roberto » 08 Apr 2002, 17:47

Dan wrote:Chainsaws? Really? I fell on one once and cut through my achelles tendon. Ouch. BTW, that letter about antiFreespeech laws you sent out has begun bearing fruit, even in Portugal:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... world.html

8)
Luego
Dan,

One of the more imaginative methods of Pablo Escobar et al for dealing with snitches and others who don’t behave. This film shows the gentlemen very much like they are:

For an overview on the history of violence in Colombia, have a look at the essays of Mr. Vidales:

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-45951/VIDAL01.HTM#ensayos

The letter of mine is the one urging the Legislator of the German Federal Republic to let people state that Konrad Adenauer won the battle of Issus in 333 B.C., I presume. Am I right?

As to Portugal, the article is quite right, there’s a guy called Paulo Portas in the government coalition, who wants more police on the streets, kids to sing the national anthem in school every morning and all immigrants out of the country - or at least no more coming in. I’m not much into chainsaws, but I may consider taking my spray-gun out of the cellar.

Hasta la vista … y cuidado con el serrucho! :wink:
Last edited by Roberto on 09 Apr 2002, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Lupo Solitario

about italians

Post by Lupo Solitario » 08 Apr 2002, 18:54

complicated....italian had faced a civil war in '43-45 and italians had fought aside allies....Who had to make the trial? How distinguish crimes in from crimes out italy? There was still too much people with a past to be forgotten, etc. etc.....

Anyway:
-the largest part of fascist leaders killed at the end of war died without a regular trial
-Yugoslavia claimed to trail some italian army officer but they "disappeared"
-The only italian officer fired by allies had fought aside them.....

bye

Lupo

ziggy wiseman

war criminals

Post by ziggy wiseman » 08 Apr 2002, 20:36

Lupo,what happened to gen.rodolfo Graziani ?I'm not sure but i think he spent several years in captivity.?

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”