SS Kreisleiter Benno Mattel

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
mmonteavaro

SS Kreisleiter Benno Mattel

Post by mmonteavaro » 07 Mar 2007, 01:55

Please, can somebody provide me with some more information about this officer?.- I have some but need more details about his job during the war, places where he had been, etc., even small details are very important.- What I have until now is the following:
Benno Mattel (full name Benno Erwin Jose Mattel).- Born on July 15, 1917, in Demelgasse 22, Moedling, Vienna, Austria.-
Joined the NSDAP at the age of 14 in Horn, on December 1, 1931, number 6239946?.-
He applied to the SS in Moedling on May 17, 1938, Kreisleitung Perchdorsdorf.- His application was signed by the Sturmhauptfuhrer Franz Gollinger, fuhrer des Sturmbann III/84.-
In his application he declared to have been a member of the VF, NSS, HJ, SA, Political Leader.-
He also said that he has been Rottenfuhrer, Scharfuhrer, Sturm u. Sturmbannschulungsfuhrer, Stellvertreter des Standartenschulungsfuhrers.-
Among his activities he declared that he had written for the newspaper "Osterreichischen Beobachter", printed by the SS and distributed, between l939 and l942 approximately, in NO and the Burgenland.-
In June 1938 he marries the youngest daughter of the Austrian composer Anton von Webern, Christine.-
Between June 18 and July 14, 1938, he attended a course for Political Leaders of the Ostmarkgaue des NSDAP Bi, 2 in Gauschlgsbg. Annweiler/Saarpfalz.-
His application is approved on July 21 and November 25, 1938.-
Next thing I know is that in February 1945 he fled Vienna and went to Mittersill, near Salzburg, there he rented a house.-
In March or April 1945 also his in-laws left Vienna and moved to Mittersill.-
After the end of the war, on September 15, 1945, he was arrested at his house by American troops, the house was under surveillance and he was suspected of trafficking in dollars in the black market, his father-in-law was at the house and supposedly by mistake, during the curfew, was shot and killed by an American soldier.- There are other versions about this incident, including that Anton von Webern was killed by the SS Mattel.-
Mattel and his wife Christine spent one year in prison and, according to Maria von Webern, they fled to Argentina.-
The most important question for me at this point is, what did he do during the war? Did he spent time in the area of Mauthausen?.- Why he chose Mittersill, where the SS used the Schloss Mittersill as a camp for women?.-
As I said before, any information will be greatly appreciated.- Many thanks in advance.-

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”